PDA

View Full Version : Rear sight off center? Try this first

jeep45238
02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKdXmcdB5WE

Having trouble with windage on your Kahr? Before you start moving sights or ordering parts and blaming the gun, try modifying how you shoot the gun first. Yes, many, many, many people say that it can't be them because they don't do it with any of their other DA guns that have harder pulls. Give this a try though - it's free, and requires absolutely no modification to the gun, ammo, or mags.

The Kahr is a bit unique in that aspect though, and it demands that you be willing to break or modify habits to shoot it well using your sight picture. Most people that are used to double actions are NOT used to how close the backstrap (hence the palm) is to the breaking point of the Kahrs (which is at or slightly past vertical). This is true both of revolver shooters, and of DA/SA and DAO auto-feeder pistols (like Beretta 92, CZ75, 2nd gen Taurus Millenium pro, and others). It is ESPECIALLY true for somebody used to the straight back trigger motion of a 1911.

While it is very true that no 2 guns of the same make/model/caliber will shoot to the exact point of aim, we're dealing with pistols, not 1/4 MOA repeatable bolt actions here. When centered in the dovetails, the sights will be close enough to poa that most people won't be able to notice.

The same is true about the height of the sight. You'll find that almost every 5" 1911 with novak sights runs a .175-.180" tall front sight post, though the officer models are much taller. Fixed sights are close enough to not worry about, IF you do your part!

Like it or not, that's how it is with these guns. You HAVE to revert back to basics and focus EXTENSIVELY on that trigger finger and isolating it's movement.

Short of a burr on the crown or a very very loose sight, excessive windage adjustment/error is almost ALWAYS the shooter, not the gun.

Most people are aware of the whole "put the pad of your index finger on the trigger" aspect. MOST of these people are NOT aware that to keep the windage proper you HAVE TO HAVE YOUR FINGER PERPENDICULAR TO THE BORE WHEN THE SHOT BREAKS. This is true of rifles AND handguns.

If you fail to do this, especially on a gun with a sweeping trigger with a long pull, your finger will wind up putting pressure on the SIDE of the trigger, moving the gun - vs. on the face of the trigger and keeping the windage true.

Normal starting point:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Kahr%20T40/Photo44.jpg
Normal ending point (notice portion of finger that moves the trigger is NOT 90* to the bore):
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Kahr%20T40/Photo45.jpg

Normal starting point:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Kahr%20T40/Photo46.jpg
Modified ending point (last digit is much closer to perpendicular to the bore when the shot breaks)
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Kahr%20T40/Photo47.jpg

If you need to drift the sights, and you do so to make it hit point of aim when you grab the gun and just shoot, that's fine and dandy - but that is no way, shape, or form, the fault of the gun, solely the shooter. Would this matter in a defensive situation? Well, having damn near been there, I don't even remember drawing the gun, but it was right in front of me pretty quick. I highly doubt you'll be looking for a sight picture at all.

jfrey
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Jeep, your point is well taken. However, with the long trigger pull of the Kahr and long fingers like mine, it is virtually impossible to have your finger parallel to the trigger when it breaks. To accomplish this you would have to adjust your grip so that the palm of the hand was not aligned with the bore axis. The backstrap would be much nearer the upper portion of the palm near the fingers. If you have any suggestions on correcting this, I would certainly be glad to try it. The distance through the grip on a 1911 is a lot wider than the Kahr so it is easier to accomplish what you suggested.

Just as a comparison, the sight height on both my Govt. model and my Commander runs .180. It would be really nice if Kahr would offer replacement front sights for the CW series in different heights. My CW9 shoots about 3" high and if I had a front that was .020 higher it would bring it right down on target.

jeep45238
02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Jfrey, you're incorrect on adjusting your grip. It's simply letting your finger slack so that it becomes a bar as you pull the trigger. It has nothing to do with the grip, it's re-learning the trigger pull. Guns with longer distances between the trigger and the backstrap tend to make it easier to keep the finger in some sort of hook, and still be accurate.

Reload this page and check out the first line in the post (modifying it now), it's a link and you can watch my finger.

In-Yo-Grill
02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Don't do it man...You have too much to live for!!!

Oh...sorry. Didn't realize the gun was empty...lol

getsome
02-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I found that I shoot much better with a modified 2 hand hold...On all my other pistols I basically use the left hand thumb straight with the barrel...(I'm right handed)...When shooting the Kahr like this all my shots were low and left...I started using my left thumb to push to the right against the front of the trigger guard and it holds the pistol straight and that way my groups are much better...the 3 dot night sites also seemed to help as thats what I'm most used to...

jeep45238
02-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Don't do it man...You have too much to live for!!!

Oh...sorry. Didn't realize the gun was empty...lol

:third:

the 3 dot night sites also seemed to help as thats what I'm most used to...

Try covering the rear dots with electrical tape. You'll be amazed how much faster you find your front sight, and you can still use the blade/notch for precision. ;)