PDA

View Full Version : Why do people prop up guns via the trigger guard?

Scoundrel
03-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I have seen guns on display at the gun store, and in photos, propped up via the trigger guard.

Why do people do that?

I think that the practice originated in guns stores, where the guns are in glass cases, and customers can see them better when they are propped up, without having to lean over the case, which is both uncomfortable to the customer, and probably unsettling to the guy behind the counter too.

I'm guessing that from there, it made its way into photos because people wanted to duplicate the "gun store look". Kinda of like how the prison population made baggy pants falling halfway down your butt into a fashion statement "on the outside."

It's also possible that propping the gun up gives it a "3-D" look in photos, particularly when it is set against a background where you can tell it us propped up.

Or, maybe taking the photo like that removes the emphasis from the background, so the eye is not distracted by the background, and the viewer is left to appreciate the object of the photo without distraction.

What do you think?

tsltrek
03-28-2012, 01:17 PM
How much for the CM9?:roll:

Scoundrel
03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
NFS, but there'a a nice PM9 for sale here: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=148898

kgturner
03-28-2012, 01:22 PM
I always wondered more why people post photos of their hanguns next to stuff like pocket knives, key chains, watches, and such. I think I'm gonna start throwing in obscure items next to my PM45 whenever I take pictures.

Kevin T

Scoundrel
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I always wondered more why people post photos of their hanguns next to stuff like pocket knives, key chains, watches, and such. I think I'm gonna start throwing in obscure items next to my PM45 whenever I take pictures.

Kevin T

I think it's for window dressing, to add interest, that sort of thing.
Adding misc obscure items sounds like a riot! I'm all for it!
I have been known to pull tricks along those lines. Like this: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8517&p=95729

ptoemmes
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
My P45 is camera shy and prefers to remain in it's holster usually inside my waist band.

Oh, but when it comes out it can sometimes be an angry fire breathing beast that belies it's physical size...

Armybrat
03-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Ok, I'll play - here's my wicked blade:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/Armybrat2/Spring2012032.jpg

muggsy
03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
I have seen guns on display at the gun store, and in photos, propped up via the trigger guard.

Why do people do that?

I think that the practice originated in guns stores, where the guns are in glass cases, and customers can see them better when they are propped up, without having to lean over the case, which is both uncomfortable to the customer, and probably unsettling to the guy behind the counter too.

I'm guessing that from there, it made its way into photos because people wanted to duplicate the "gun store look". Kinda of like how the prison population made baggy pants falling halfway down your butt into a fashion statement "on the outside."

It's also possible that propping the gun up gives it a "3-D" look in photos, particularly when it is set against a background where you can tell it us propped up.

Or, maybe taking the photo like that removes the emphasis from the background, so the eye is not distracted by the background, and the viewer is left to appreciate the object of the photo without distraction.

What do you think?

Quite frankly I prefer pictures of guns held by a beautiful seductively dressed women. I guess that's why I bought a Kahr. Unfortunately the women didn't come with the gun. Just my luck. :)

Scoundrel
03-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for pointing out my PM9 for sale Scoundrel! ;)

Figured it was the least I could do after stomping all over your thread.

:hippie:

SpecK
03-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Kevin T

Usually* that's just showing what is carried on their person everyday, your EDC.

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t519/SpecmenK/PM9046.jpg

I now carry with hollow points, a crimson trace and a crossbreed but you get the idea.

Scoundrel, Ive always propped mine up like that to get the 3D effect you talked about but also it gives the pistol a little life to it. IMO theres nothing worse than a 2D gun just laying there, reminds me of a safe queen that only gets touched once a year or so. My pistols are constently moving and putting in work with me.

* I say usually because you get those people who have like 4 huge knives and and a Mag lite and a c0ck pump in there to make themselves feel better. I just like to see what people carry and how they mysteriously conceal it all sometimes.

JFootin
03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Usually* that's just showing what is carried on their person everyday, your EDC.

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t519/SpecmenK/PM9046.jpg

I now carry with hollow points, a crimson trace and a crossbreed but you get the idea.

Scoundrel, Ive always propped mine up like that to get the 3D effect you talked about but also it gives the pistol a little life to it. IMO theres nothing worse than a 2D gun just laying there, reminds me of a safe queen that only gets touched once a year or so. My pistols are constently moving and putting in work with me.

* I say usually because you get those people who have like 4 huge knives and and a Mag lite and a c0ck pump in there to make themselves feel better. I just like to see what people carry and how they mysteriously conceal it all sometimes.

Need to get those cigs out of your EDC lineup. I quit about 12 years ago after my second heart attack. Had a third one in '08 and trying not to have any more. Believe me, you can do it. It's a battle, but it's worth your life, isn't it? You only get one, ya know.

Scoundrel
03-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Need to get those cigs out of your EDC lineup. I quit about 12 years ago after my second heart attack. Had a third one in '08 and trying not to have any more. Believe me, you can do it. It's a battle, but it's worth your life, isn't it? You only get one, ya know.

Right, and you're gonna need the cardio boost when the zombie apocalypse comes.

Haven't you seen Zombieland? You're gonna need to stockpile twinkies and keep up your cardio workouts.

BEARDOG
03-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Right, and you're gonna need the cardio boost when the zombie apocalypse comes.

Haven't you seen Zombieland? You're gonna need to stockpile twinkies and keep up your cardio workouts.

And remember... always double tap! :D

N0YZE
03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Why not use a large pencil eraser or something under the other side? Wouldn't distract from the gun that way.

jdr3366
03-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Here's a logical combination.

http://kahrtalk.com/[IMG]http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd512/jdr3366/Kahrandcharter.jpghttp://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd512/jdr3366/Kahrandcharter.jpg

tilefish
03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
A guy on another forum uses celery to prop up his pistols for pictures. Kinda funny.

SpecK
03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks J, I appreciate the support. It is something Ive been thinking about lately and I think when these last few packs are out, Im gonna do it. Pretty stupid habit

Cokeman
03-28-2012, 10:43 PM
I have the answer. Cause they're retards. I hate when people do that.

wyntrout
03-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Not great pictures, but I had some odd stuff. Me, too! Me, too!

Wynn:)

Popeye
03-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Yea, did you ever notice you never see a gun shown next to a roll of toilet paper:confused:Why is that, when there both used in SHTF situations. :rolleyes:

kgturner
03-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Yea, did you ever notice you never see a gun shown next to a roll of toilet paper:confused:Why is that, when there both used in SHTF situations. :rolleyes:

Challenge accepted!

http://kgturner.home.mchsi.com/images/PM45.jpg

Kevin T

ptoemmes
03-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Shameless product promo...

I believe that's a vacuum tube for all you young whippersnappers. The object with the silvery top in case you really can't figure it out. :biggrin1:

kgturner
03-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Been into tubes since my mid-20s. I'll be 35 in July. Some of us whippersnappers know good music when we hear it. :D

Kevin T

johnh
03-29-2012, 07:34 AM
And you will still be able to hear it after the computers are fried by EMP. ;) Good SHTF preparation indeed!

wyntrout
03-29-2012, 08:04 AM
I had some tubes in some of my Ham Radio equipment back in the 70's... then went solid state. And I like CD's... hated fooling with vinyl LP's... I had to clean them and hope none made pops and such as I recorded them to cassette tape.

kgturner
03-29-2012, 08:15 AM
I listen to music on both ends of the format spectrums. I have all my CD's ripped lossessly and stored on a server which streams them over my network to a networked music player (Logitech Transporter SE). I also am accumulating a small vinyl collection. I prefer vinyl playback because the experience is more "whole" in my opinion. Instead of just skipping around and listening to your favorite songs, you listen to the entire album as one piece of art as the musician (hopefully) intended. I wet clean and vacuum all my records and store them in anti-static sleeves so surface noise is pretty much nil except for bad pressings and the occasional wayward dust blob that lands during playback.

Kevin T

wyntrout
03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I did that to make recording, but some albums were just noisy... and some were really quiet... I remember and still have Urban Cowboy and my Mireille Mathieu LP's... French and German. But, I no longer have an LP player. I recorded them all digitally and made CD's. I can hear some hiss and minor static in some if I try, but I'm usually driving or doing something else and have unequal high-frequency loss from military aviation and shooting without ear-protection... wasn't a biggee in the 60's when I went through basic training... 300 recruits letting loose with M-1 carbines... traumatic, even for someone raised with guns.

I remember the first time I got a real good stereo system and noticed the sound wasn't balanced... and discovered it was my EARS!:(

yqtszhj
03-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Why do people prop up guns via the trigger guard?

Because they don't sell guns with a kick stand (well that I know about anyway.) :D

kgturner
03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
I did that to make recording, but some albums were just noisy... and some were really quiet

Yeah, some records are just pressed poorly and there's nothing you can do about the noise. I bought a record and wouldn't you know it, it was quiet except for the final track which happened to be my favorite song on the album. Cleaned it again and the noise was still there. I then found another sealed copy for cheap and bought it only to hear the same static-y noise in the same spot. :(

Kevin T

wyntrout
03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
If I have any luck on the next Mega Millions... drove up to GA yesteday and got tickets for the next two drawings... saves the gas for another trip and "invests" it in more tickets... almost 80 miles round trip... lessee... to continue... I'm gonna look for some property out of the way of Tsunamis and cities, buy a bunch of shipping containers and build us a bunker to withstand hurricanes, tornadoes and marauders... gun emplacements with interlocking fields of fire and very defensible... ~ $369 million estimated "Cash option" BEFORE the Feds take about 40%. With that kind of money, I could have my dream bunker house built on the Atlantic Beach... to withstand Tsunamis!

Bawanna
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I think with that kind of money I'd have the wheels taken off from my mobile home. Maybe put some skirting on and stuff. One of them roofs over the top to slow down the leaks and such.

wyntrout
03-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Dang! Are changing the subject again, Tinman??

Wynn:confused:

Tinman507
03-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Well there WAS a reference to two chicks. I guess it got pulled.

Bawanna
03-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Courtesy of "The Hammer" but I did like the chicks. You can put em back if you want.

AJBert
03-29-2012, 06:21 PM
As to the OP's original topic for the post:

As I was walking past the gun counter today at work and seeing all the handguns having the little prop holding them up this thread kicked into my head. Only thing I can think of, other than asthetics, is perhaps with all the handling of the firearms by customers that using these little props will help to prevent some wear on the one side that would always be down. Easier than flipping each handgun once a week.

Who knows?

kgturner
03-29-2012, 06:30 PM

I guess the Hammer doesn't like quotes from the movie Office Space. :(

Kevin T

Scoundrel
04-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Here's a good example of it being done to very good effect:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/statelinerut/101_1068-2.jpg
(Stolen from here: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=149971#post149971)

kb2wji
04-01-2012, 12:28 PM
This is one of my favorite threads ever.

I hate when people prop up their guns with pens, knives, chap stick etc... It makes NO difference in the photo, other than being redonculous. Thank you OP, for saying it out loud.

EDC pistol with toilet paper. I love it. Good call.

I had a few heathkit ham radio's back in the day (tube of course), and they were way cool. But sorry, solid state is way cooler...literally.

Scoundrel
04-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I hate when people prop up their guns with pens, knives, chap stick etc... It makes NO difference in the photo, other than being redonculous. Thank you OP, for saying it out loud.

Well, for the record, I was only asking why it is done, not making any judgments on it.

It makes sense why they do it in the stores.

Most photos aren't composed well enough for it to make a big difference, but I do like the effect created by that most recent photo I linked to.

Popeye
04-01-2012, 01:15 PM
All kidding aside I like the pics with the guns propped up it gives more of a three demensional look and gives you a better idea of what the gun really looks like. If it's placed next to an object that most of us already know the size of then it helps us better understand the size of the pistol. If it's propped up next to something we don't know the size of then that other object in the pic tells us nothing and is pretty much worthless. JMHO.

AJBert
04-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I think my next purchase I'll post up a pic next to an old smelly sneaker, just to show the size...lol

kb2wji
04-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I think my next purchase I'll post up a pic next to an old smelly sneaker, just to show the size...lol

But what size sneaker?

Sent using Tapatalk