PDA

View Full Version : Which Kahr Next?

jkalantzis
02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I have decided that I love my new PM9 so much that it is time to invest in another Kahr. I currently have a Glock 17 for home defense and the range. I would like to stick with the polymer framed Kahrs. I guess an additional Kahr would be for the glove box of my car and for some fun at the range. Any and all suggestions would be a great help. It seems that a lot of people here on KT have a wealth of knowledge.

wyntrout
02-12-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm still planning on getting the PM9's big brother, the PM45 DLC w.N/S, of course. I just want the most compact, shootable .45 ACP. It would be a Winter carry or for walks in the woods, as far as CCW... that and home defense. I wouldn't mind keeping a gun in my van, but I have to go on base from time to time and the Navy down here might confiscate my weapon if there's a random search -- not very 2nd Amendment friendly. Just imagine back in the old west if your weapons weren't allowed in the fort and you had to go through Indian country or outlaws. No offense meant to our real Native American buddies.:)
Wynn

Dietrich
02-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I`ve always liked the CW 45 .IMO it is the perfect big brother to the PM9.But then again,I have limited brain function due to that tragic bus station men`s room incident. :(

jeep45238
02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
T9 with the night sights, replace the rear sight with a standard black Kahr Novak sight ($30).

Price
02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Sounds like its time for a Kahr 45, if you feel like springing for that little extra I would go with the P45, but a cw45 may be one of the best gun values anywhere.

wyntrout
02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Maybe one of these days Kahr will offer a K4544N -- SS DLC with N/S! That would be another beauty!:rolleyes:
Wynn:D

ripley16
02-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I have decided that I love my new PM9 so much that it is time to invest in another Kahr. I currently have a Glock 17 for home defense and the range. I would like to stick with the polymer framed Kahrs. I guess an additional Kahr would be for the glove box of my car and for some fun at the range. Any and all suggestions would be a great help. It seems that a lot of people here on KT have a wealth of knowledge.

In the polymer line, my suggestion would be the TP9. It is a great choice for the range, home defence and your glove box. The gun will take a lot of abuse, is comfortable to shoot a lot, has a 4" barrel, and holds 8+1 rounds. These can be found new for right around $500. What's not to like?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/TP9002.jpg

mx5fan
02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
PM45 is on my short list....I figure the PM9 is so great, why not the same pistol in .45.

getsome
02-12-2010, 11:29 AM
So Dietrich, It was you who shot the toilet and tried to blame the gun!!! :D

wyntrout
02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Yep, but at least he finally 'fessed up that it wasn't the gun's fault... but what the heck was he doing to cause this::eek:
And surely there must have been some "collateral damage"... higher voice?
Wynn:p

getsome
02-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Ouch, thats gonna leave a mark.....

Dietrich
02-12-2010, 01:13 PM
The tragic bus station men`s room incident had nothing to do with firearms and everything to do with my devastating good looks and a wayward young woman from Savannah.It hurts me that you guys think that I would mishandle a firearm or a toilet.:angel:

jkalantzis
02-12-2010, 01:41 PM
In the polymer line, my suggestion would be the TP9. It is a great choice for the range, home defence and your glove box. The gun will take a lot of abuse, is comfortable to shoot a lot, has a 4" barrel, and holds 8+1 rounds. These can be found new for right around $500. What's not to like?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/TP9002.jpg

I like! Does the TP9 come with the black diamond slide?

hsart
02-12-2010, 01:55 PM
PM45 is on my short list....I figure the PM9 is so great, why not the same pistol in .45.
My sentiments as well - I have a PM45 and a PM9 is on my short list. ... though I am warming up to the MK9. In reality I wish there was a place I could go to test shoot all Kahrs. Who knows where that would lead...

swampman
02-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I say any kahr that you do not own should be your next one,I would like to have all of them. :D

ripley16
02-12-2010, 02:25 PM
I like! Does the TP9 come with the black diamond slide?

Not to my knowledge, but Kahr makes more changes than a maternity ward nurse... maybe they will soon.

wyntrout
02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Kahrs are so scarce and there's not much choice when you find some. I would like to hold and compare the P45 with the PM45. They are so close in size and weight but I'm still leaning toward the PM because I want the smallest. I love .45s -- the kick... and I can see the darn holes in the target!

In-Yo-Grill
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
I answered that question for myself today. On a whim I called a gun shop I haven't been to in years and asked if they carried Kahr products.

"Sure Do!" the guy said. "I have a couple of the P series guns including a little P380."

When I asked him the price I bought fell out of my chair... He quoted me a price of $530. That's $20 cheaper than I saw at the gun show.

Well I'm sure you can figure out the rest of the story. She's resting peacfully in my safe as I already cleaned and oiled her up for a date at the range tomorrow. Pics and range report to follow.

wyntrout
02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Wow! Great deal! Congratulations and happy shooting. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get mine.:(

Armybrat
02-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I answered that question for myself today. On a whim I called a gun shop I haven't been to in years and asked if they carried Kahr products.

"Sure Do!" the guy said. "I have a couple of the P series guns including a little P380."

When I asked him the price I bought fell out of my chair... He quoted me a price of $530. That's $20 cheaper than I saw at the gun show.

Well I'm sure you can figure out the rest of the story. She's resting peacfully in my safe as I already cleaned and oiled her up for a date at the range tomorrow. Pics and range report to follow.

So Yo, where in Texas are you?

I'm lookin' for a CW45.

unclenunzie
02-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Yep, but at least he finally 'fessed up that it wasn't the gun's fault... but what the heck was he doing to cause this::eek:

Did some searching but haven't found links following up on the toilet shooter's confession..... I would like to read it if you have a reference....

thanks either way

In-Yo-Grill
02-14-2010, 12:24 PM
So Yo, where in Texas are you?

I'm lookin' for a CW45.

That would be San Antonio my friend.

I saw a couple of good deals on CW45's at the SAXET gun show. They will be here again the first weekend in March.

GB has some good deals on the CW45.

wyntrout
02-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Did some searching but haven't found links following up on the toilet shooter's confession..... I would like to read it if you have a reference....

thanks either way

I heard or read that somewhere, that the guy owned up and it was a case of CYA, or CHA, but after 10 to 15 minutes or more searching, I couldn't find any followup, as is usually the case about such things. It was a nice story and a lot of people bought the "victim's" explanation. All references pointed back to the same article and discussions of it. It was not a recent occurrence, but I don't remember when or where I heard the guy was "playing" with his gun.
Wynn

http://www.centervilleut.net/police.pressreleases.html

jkalantzis
02-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I think I have the perfect solution for now. I will give my wife my pm9 and purchase a pm40 with the diamond slide and N/S just like I wanted. That was easy.

unclenunzie
02-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks for looking and the follow up. If it were a genuine "AD" and not an "ND", a lawsuit would have hit the manufacturer and we would have heard of it. Thankfully NDs are relatively rare events in the scheme of things, but each time I read of one it gives me the willies.

wyntrout
02-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Who would own up to blowing the toilet out from under themselves while fooling around with his own gun? I'm sure the cops were skeptical, but let it slide -- no witnesses. I'm still intrigued by the possible collateral damage... <snicker>:p
And, possible gun residue "evidence". CSI would have been thorough!:D
Wynn

N.D.
02-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Sounds like its time for a Kahr 45, if you feel like springing for that little extra I would go with the P45, but a cw45 may be one of the best gun values anywhere.

Sorry for the hi-jack . . but

:D

I CC a Kahr P45 6+1, and I know that Kahr makes other sub compact .45 's PM,CW, ETC. but I don't understand what the differences are between those other models are, does Kahr make a .45 SC size gun that has a 7+1 or 8+1 capacity just so I know what to look for when shopping for a new one?

N.D.

jeep45238
02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
KAHR TP4543 / Specifications (http://kahr.com/dtlspec_tp4543.html)

N.D.
02-24-2010, 11:54 PM
KAHR TP4543 / Specifications (http://kahr.com/dtlspec_tp4543.html)

jeep:

"Thanks a bunch" that's just what I wanted, but couldn't get a straight answer from the part timers at the GS, when they sold me this P45! :rolleyes:

N.D.;)

jeep45238
02-25-2010, 04:06 AM
7 rounds total ain't bad. I've carried a 3.5" 1911 that held 7 total, and never felt undergunned. Heck, same thing for guns with 5 rounds total.

Good reason to carry a spare mag in a mag pouch and practice your reloads. :)

N.D.
02-25-2010, 08:16 AM
7 rounds total ain't bad. I've carried a 3.5" 1911 that held 7 total, and never felt undergunned. Heck, same thing for guns with 5 rounds total.

Good reason to carry a spare mag in a mag pouch and practice your reloads. :)

jeep:

Respectfully dear sir; I submit unto you that there is no faster reload than not running out of ammo to begin with,

I bought this SC P45 as a winter PG, main CC for winter is a G23 13+1 .40 ~ KP45 6+1 BU pocket gun (shoot it right through my coat pocket if needed), and my Occasional main piece in summer P45 mostly in Summer I try to squeak by W/ my DW Cust. 5" 1911 8+1 backed by this P45's 6+1.

My goal for a summer gun is to have a Commander size gun chambered in 9X23MM 10+1 and then add a Khar for BUG.

Winter goal gun will be a 1911 commander double stack in 9X23MM 18+1 and a Kahr as BUG.

Thanks again jeep you really helped out!

N.D.

jocko
02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Hard question, but if your PM9 is your 24/7 carry and go to gun, then if I was wanting a kahr for other than pocket purposes etc and more for range shooting and pure enjoyment. I would opt for the TP9. that just has to be an awesome shooter IMO. Never shot one, never seen one even but it sure looks like one heh of a range gun and home gun.

Chuck54
02-25-2010, 10:53 AM
PM9 has been my primary carry piece for a long time. I had a P45 for a few months and did not enjoy it too much so traded it for a G30sf.

My next Kahr is a T9 .............. I love it. It is a great range gun. Very accurate, I like the way it handles and it just FEELS GOOD. It can also be carried in the same belt slide that the PM9 rides in.

If we can get Kahr to build us a T45 I will be in line to add that to my collection.

jocko
02-25-2010, 01:03 PM

would you really expect to hear the TRUTH from this ND :31:

jeep45238
02-25-2010, 06:19 PM
jeep:

Respectfully dear sir; I submit unto you that there is no faster reload than not running out of ammo to begin with

While I agree, time to make your shots count. Afterall, you're not going to carry a belt fed pistol, and there will always be the "well, what if i need N+! shots" straw man argument ;)

Besides, reloads may wind up saving your life someday. If the extra round provided by the TP45 doesn't save your chops, the mag drops out unexpectedly, or other problems arise that a tap/rack won't fix, you'd better have a second mag (or gun), and be quick to get back into the fight.

Capacity is no substitute for practice :)

N.D.
02-25-2010, 06:38 PM
While I agree, time to make your shots count. Afterall, you're not going to carry a belt fed pistol, and there will always be the "well, what if i need N+! shots" straw man argument ;)

Besides, reloads may wind up saving your life someday. If the extra round provided by the TP45 doesn't save your chops, the mag drops out unexpectedly, or other problems arise that a tap/rack won't fix, you'd better have a second mag (or gun), and be quick to get back into the fight.

Capacity is no substitute for practice :)

True dat! I do CC spare mags, and BUG's when I can . . . but on the other hand,
belt fed do sound Goooood! lol :53:
:D

N.D