PDA

View Full Version : NGD! Ruger Single 10

les strat
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I told yall to remind me no gun shops on lunch!!!I had been looking at a .22 revolver for a while, and the Single 10 was high on the list. Plus, it's good to help Ruger out with their NRA support. Man, it feels nice, well built, great sights. I went with the blued (black) one as all my other revolvers are stainless or aluminum (642). The nice wood grips pop on the black frame. This is my first single action revolver.Looks like I might have a good long (and cheap) range trip in my weekend plans. I'll try to get a good pic up tonight after work and tball.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/single10.jpg

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 03:17 PM
You are required by law to post pics asap or it automatically becomes mine :D

les strat
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
LOL, I think I have a 6 hour lead time. Let's make it 8!BTW, it is the 4.63" barrel version on Ruger's website under "Distributor Exclusives". I would have liked the longer 5.5" barrel, but they only come in SS.

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Model 8102?

SpecK
04-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I like your thought process for the Rug, good choice and congrats! Little old for tball though, arent we?

Edit: This was my 100th post. Senior member looks good on me if I dont mind saying so myself (and i dont)

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
I like your thought process for the Rug, good choice and congrats! Little old for tball though, arent we?

Edit: This was my 100th post. Senior member looks good on me if I dont mind saying so myself (and i dont)

Quick, somebody show him the secret handshake and I'll get his Jocko top secret decoder ring sent right out. You earned it dude.

SpecK
04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Quick, somebody show him the secret handshake and I'll get his Jocko top secret decoder ring sent right out. You earned it dude.

Yesssssss. I knew you all were keepin secrets

Tinman507
04-03-2012, 04:54 PM
ɹǝpɹoq ɹno ssoɹɔɐ ʇǝƃ oʇ ƃuıʎɹʇ lɐƃǝllı uɐ uɐɥʇ ɹǝʇʇǝq ɥɔnɯ sunɹ puɐ ʇı ɥƃnoɹɥʇ spunoɹ 000'ᄅƐ sɐɥ 6WԀ ʎW
˙ʇı ǝloʇs noʎ ǝʞıl ʇı ʇooɥs ʇsnſ ˙ʞlɐʇɹɥɐʞ uo ǝɹǝɥ ɯɐ I puɐ oʞɔoſ sı ǝɯɐu ʎɯ ollǝH

jocko
04-03-2012, 04:59 PM

to the higher level of insanity: Just sayin.

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
ɹǝpɹoq ɹno ssoɹɔɐ ʇǝƃ oʇ ƃuıʎɹʇ lɐƃǝllı uɐ uɐɥʇ ɹǝʇʇǝq ɥɔnɯ sunɹ puɐ ʇı ɥƃnoɹɥʇ spunoɹ 000'ᄅƐ sɐɥ 6WԀ ʎW
˙ʇı ǝloʇs noʎ ǝʞıl ʇı ʇooɥs ʇsnſ ˙ʞlɐʇɹɥɐʞ uo ǝɹǝɥ ɯɐ I puɐ oʞɔoſ sı ǝɯɐu ʎɯ ollǝH

Until you get the the Top Secret Decoder ring, let me help you with this translation.
" It says Shuut the fokker like ya stole it, ya meet the weirdest folks on a honder." My (can't make out that word) has 32,000 rounds thru it and likes illegal acts with goats" It's actually in arabic, loosely translated, he's multi lingual and it's evidently a southern dialect or derelict in my case.
I might have that last part not quite right, my decoder ring got wet in the boating accident where I lost all my guns so it's been kind of acting up.
Most definitely in fear of Northern Aggression. No need to thank me, I do this as public service.

jocko
04-03-2012, 05:22 PM
That was my last decoder ring to. They are expensive and since I have fired all15 of my illegals this past year, (except my gardner and cook and Motorcycle detailer) I am having to have the chinese now make these decder rings as it is evident that Tinman 507has gotton hold of one of their prototypes which requires more translation. I am workng on an easier version but your translation is very close though. except though we don't consider illegal acts with goats in my area as illegal. Just sayin..

les strat
04-03-2012, 06:01 PM
OK, tball practice cancelled (you're NEVER too old for tball!!! lol), so I took a quick shot of it as I was starting to do an initial cleaning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/single10.jpg

JFootin
04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
This forum has turned into a fun place to be again! :D

Looks like the thread drift is back to normble, too! :roll:

Les Strat, that's a beautiful gun!

AJBert
04-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Nice Single-10! I picked up a Single-Six with both cylinders (.22lr and .22mag) blued with wood grips with the 5.5" barrle and have been loving it. Shoots straight and cheap to shoot, except the mags are a little pricey. Picked it for a carry sidearm when hunting in CO. I have been carrying my Buckmark for the last ten years or more and just wanted a revolver.

les strat
04-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks JFootin and AJBert :)

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 07:46 PM

Son of a! I hit 100 the other day and didn't get a decoder ring, a "you earned it dude" or even a firm handshake. I got the shaft on this deal!

Btw les strat, nice looking peace!

SpecK
04-03-2012, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=jocko;150822]though we don't consider illegal acts with goats in my area as illegal. QUOTE]

I think Im gonna need both decoder rings for this one Bawanna

Les that thing is beautiful. Next time youre in Missouri, lets go shoot it :D

TheTman
04-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Nice looking gun, does it have a 22 mag cylinder available?

les strat
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Les that thing is beautiful. Next time youre in Missouri, lets go shoot it :D

Sounds good. Let me check the calender ;)

Nice looking gun, does it have a 22 mag cylinder available?

Unfortunatley, no... not like the single 6.

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm ashamed as a devout Ruger fan that I hadn't heard of it. So it's a single 6 that holds 10 basically?

Ken_k, its all automatic. I'm sure the decoder ring which has the secret hand shake included is enroute.

We generally don't have a big ceremony but Speck sort of brought it up.

I'll try to make it up to ya somehow.

Does a ride on Jocko's Harley sound appealing to you?

SpecK
04-03-2012, 10:15 PM
My fault :7: sorry everyone.

So who can explain this safety transfer bar thing on the Single 10? Is it different from the "semi-safe" that was on the Six? Im having trouble seeing why its needed if its SA, unless I guess you plan to carry cocked??

tv_racin_fan
04-04-2012, 01:49 AM
"Semi-safe"? I got no clue what that is or means. A firearm with a drawbar safety or transfer bar has a mechanism that will not allow the hammer to strike the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. A regular ole single action revolver has no such safety and this is why they are carried hammer down on an empty chamber.

The mechanism generally has the hammer never strike the firing pin, instead the hammer strikes a draw bar or transfer bar and this bar strikes the firing pin. The bar operates with the trigger and only gets into position to actually strike the firing pin when the trigger has been fully depressed.

Ken_K
04-04-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm ashamed as a devout Ruger fan that I hadn't heard of it. So it's a single 6 that holds 10 basically?

Ken_k, its all automatic. I'm sure the decoder ring which has the secret hand shake included is enroute.

We generally don't have a big ceremony but Speck sort of brought it up.

I'll try to make it up to ya somehow.

Does a ride on Jocko's Harley sound appealing to you?

Me likey Harley's!:D

les strat
04-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Pretty much. They came out with it last summer, and it has gotten great reviews. You can get SS in 4.63" or 5.5", but blued only comes in 4.63". Good enough for me.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixSingleTen/models.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixDE/models.html

SpecK
04-04-2012, 08:44 AM
"Semi-safe"? I got no clue what that is or means. A firearm with a drawbar safety or transfer bar has a mechanism that will not allow the hammer to strike the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. A regular ole single action revolver has no such safety and this is why they are carried hammer down on an empty chamber.

The mechanism generally has the hammer never strike the firing pin, instead the hammer strikes a draw bar or transfer bar and this bar strikes the firing pin. The bar operates with the trigger and only gets into position to actually strike the firing pin when the trigger has been fully depressed.

Sorry, should have been more in depth there, didnt know the exact verbage. So the old Sixes have a 3 click hammer system. 1 click (or quarter hammer pull) and its considered the "safe" position, the 2nd click is for reloading and the 3rd is for sending that sucker downline. I can understand the "quarter-click" so you dont hit the back of the hammer too hard and send one off if you had a full cylinder (think the original 6's were notorious for this)

That being said, Im now more confused....I thought the transfer bar was to transfer the energy from the hammer to the firing pin rather than the hammer just striking the firing pin directly? Am I way off here?

SpecK
04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Wait I just found this on Wiki:

A transfer bar is also used in revolvers, but works the opposite way from a hammer block. The transfer bar has the spur that would otherwise be on the hammer, or encloses a firing pin similar to autoloading designs. The hammer itself cannot contact a loaded cartridge, but must instead strike the transfer bar, which then contacts the cartridge primer with the spur or pin. The transfer bar is normally positioned out of line with the hammer's travel, but is moved into place by the normal action of the trigger, providing similar "drop safety" to a firing pin block.

So I was half-way right but the only way for it to 'transfer' that energy is by pulling the booger hook. Im with it now. So back to my original question, Im assuming this one no longer has the quarter cock safety since theres an xfer bar but does it still have the other 'clicks' for loading? These may be retarded questions but my compy isnt playing sound right now so boobtube cant help me