PDA

View Full Version : New member

GregD
02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Greetings from South Louisiana.

I purchased a Kahr CW9 from Bud's Police Supply this week and should have it soon. I will give you an up date after the first 200 rounds. It will replace my S&W 642, "extra carry" with my new job . The 642 will probably remain my pocket pistol (?) .

Looking forward to future discussions. :)

Greg

In-Yo-Grill
02-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Congrats on the new gun. I know you will be happy with it. Look forward to your report.

mr surveyor
02-12-2010, 07:32 PM
welcome GregD

we're almost neighbors :)

surv

Vinikahr
02-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Congrats!
Welcome!

GregD
02-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

("Mr. Surveyor") I have a friend that lives in Longview, a gun nut like myself and a Kahr fan, LE buddy who retired from the railroad police aka "a bull" .

bayoutrigger
02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi GregD from GregW! I live in Alexandria. Do you belong to bayoushooter dot com?

mr surveyor
02-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

("Mr. Surveyor") I have a friend that lives in Longview, a gun nut like myself and a Kahr fan, LE buddy who retired from the railroad police aka "a bull" .

I may know your friend... at least I'd bet he's a member of the same range I spend a lot of quality time on. I'm 10 miles South of Longview:)

And, for what it's worth, I love to visit you're part of the country... I have blood lines that flow across that part of the world myself

surv

btw.... how's the crawfish crop shaping up this year???? Did the basin finally recover from the saltwater intrusion of Katrina? I really miss the bygone days of loading up a few bags of "select" for $0.89/lb. :D

GregD
02-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi GregD from GregW! I live in Alexandria. Do you belong to bayoushooter dot com?

Thanks for the welcome, recently joined the bayoushooters, I'm listed as "GClifton" with the picture of "Gabby Hayes", I just made a post. A great forum, some crazy guys. LOL

GregD
02-14-2010, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=mr surveyor;11180]I may know your friend... at least I'd bet he's a member of the same range I spend a lot of quality time on. I'm 10 miles South of Longview:)

And, for what it's worth, I love to visit you're part of the country... I have blood lines that flow across that part of the world myself

surv

btw.... how's the crawfish crop shaping up this year???? Did the basin finally recover from the saltwater intrusion of Katrina? I really miss the bygone days of loading up a few bags of "select" for $0.89/lb. :D

His last name is Watson, about 65, another old fart.

We live on Bayou Chenal (Pointe Coupee Parish) that flows into the oxbow, False River, about three miles by water (pontoon boat) from out home.

The basin is getting better but we have had two more storms since Katrina, one of which hit the basin very hard, Hurricane Gustof. When the Mississippi goes down and the water level is right I will try the sacalait. (crappie) We were doing good on our bayou but also had a big fish kill during Gustof.

I will shoot you a message when the crawfish start running. It should be an excellent season with the high water. We have "crawfish boils" often, come visit, you may have to stay over, too much beer and fun. :D

Greg

Ol'coot
02-14-2010, 10:04 AM
All of you Good Ol'Boys from Texas and Louisiana are really making me want to move back. I lived in Shreveport for 10 years and then move to Longview, Tx for another 6 years before moving to Michigan 15 years ago. I really miss the great inland and coastal fishing there as well as the awesome Cajun cooking and wonderful southern hospitality. A mess of fried catfish and some of those boiled crawfish would taste really good with an ice cold beer to wash it all down

mr surveyor
02-14-2010, 11:06 AM
well then, sounds like we may need to plan a good old Southern Reunion.... fried whole catfish, fillet of sacalait, boiled crawfish (minimum of 10 lbs per adult male), smoked boudin, file' gumbo....couple of kegs of Abita Gold......

Thanks for the invite GregD and GregW..... we can all meet at your chosen place... white shrimp boots optional:)

surv

Ol'coot
02-14-2010, 11:33 AM
My wife just looked over my shoulder and told me I wasn't going without her! LOL! Mr. Surveyor you just brought back lots of good memories of fishing for sacalait in an area on Toledo Bend Lake called "The Chicken Coop" where I have spent many a cold winter morning filling up the ice chest with tasty sacalait, we used to also catch loads of these guys in the river channel just out of Huxley bay. It was not uncommon to catch enough to fill a 48 qt ice chest in just a couple of hours using small 1/16 oz buck tail jigs that we called ." Doll Flies" in chartreuse or white color placing 2 on the line about 6 inches apart of our ultra light spinning rigs and many times catching 2 at a time. This would have the been in the late 70's and early 80's.

GregD
02-14-2010, 11:45 AM
well then, sounds like we may need to plan a good old Southern Reunion.... fried whole catfish, fillet of sacalait, boiled crawfish (minimum of 10 lbs per adult male), smoked boudin, file' gumbo....couple of kegs of Abita Gold......

Thanks for the invite GregD and GregW..... we can all meet at your chosen place... white shrimp boots optional:)

surv

Sounds like a plan to me, bayoutrigger's not too far away and Ol'coot will have to carry his "Olbutt" down from Michigan. We can have it at my home, on the bayou..

You forgot the "Old Charter", which I have.

Greg

GregD
02-14-2010, 12:01 PM
My wife just looked over my shoulder and told me I wasn't going without her! LOL! Mr. Surveyor you just brought back lots of good memories of fishing for sacalait in an area on Toledo Bend Lake called "The Chicken Coop" where I have spent many a cold winter morning filling up the ice chest with tasty sacalait, we used to also catch loads of these guys in the river channel just out of Huxley bay. It was not uncommon to catch enough to fill a 48 qt ice chest in just a couple of hours using small 1/16 oz buck tail jigs that we called ." Doll Flies" in chartreuse or white color placing 2 on the line about 6 inches apart of our ultra light spinning rigs and many times catching 2 at a time. This would have the been in the late 70's and early 80's.

Great Memories :)

When my wife and I retired in 2005, we purchased a house on Toledo Bend, on a cove directily across from the "chicken coop", on the Louisiana side. We spent more time and money remodeling the house than fishing.

My neighbor, a retired fireman from Illinois, fished the "chicken coop" and some of his secret spots, putting his fillet's in bags of 1lb ea., had over 300 bags just from fishing in April and May.

We decided the place was too far from our children and grandchildren and sold the house on Toledo Bend and the house in Baton Rouge and moved to Pointe Coupee Parish, a small community called "Chenal" . Hopefully I want move again until the wife cremates my old tired body. :D

Greg

Ol'coot
02-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Greg,

I still have a brother and a few cousins in the Shreveport area next time I make a trip down we will have to get together have a good dinner a cocktails and tell some fish stories, I prefer Jack and 7 myself.

jkalantzis
02-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Greetings from South Louisiana.

I purchased a Kahr CW9 from Bud's Police Supply this week and should have it soon. I will give you an up date after the first 200 rounds. It will replace my S&W 642, "extra carry" with my new job . The 642 will probably remain my pocket pistol (?) .

Looking forward to future discussions. :)

Greg

Or just grab a p380 for your pocket. It will love you for it.