PDA

View Full Version : Night Sights

royaluno
02-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi,
What are the best night sights?
Is it worth buying the standard sights and replacing them with upgraded night sights?
Thank you.

quikduk
02-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Talk about opening Pandora's Box!!!:eek:

IMHO...and the ones I was thinking of getting for both of my CC pieces is the XS Big Dot tritium sight system.

I have tried the Trijicons and Meprolights and don't care for them. Then there is always the TruGlow TFO (tritium fiber optic) sights. I need to try these as I hear they need a little bit of either clear epoxy or clear nail polish to hold the tubes better but they are supposed to be very nice under all conditions.

YMMV or course. I am sure others will chime in with their experiences.

BTW...it is kind of like the "holster debate" or "CC weapon debate" on any of the forums.

Good luck!

ripley16
02-13-2010, 10:20 AM
It's a personal choice. I shoot well using the Mepro Tru Dots. They seem brighter to me than Trijicon somehow.

Bawanna
02-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I really like the XS sights but prefer the standard dot rather than the big one. On a CCW the big dot might not be bad though. They are really fast and just the ticket for aging eyes.
Personally I think night sights are really over rated on small ccw guns but then that's just my opinion. (Bring on the flame throwers) I have them on several of my larger guns mostly in the XS system because that's what I prefer to carry.
As Mr quikduk stated theres tons of theorys and ideas and options out there. What works for you is the exact right choice.

jocko
02-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I like the exxs big dot for thety are what they are. very fast quick acquisition fighting sights. Defninltely not target sights but sights made for up close shooting basically IMO 10 yards and under. at 15 yards they cover alot, but I love um on my PM9 and my P380 kahr

Bawanna
02-13-2010, 11:56 AM
I like the exxs big dot for thety are what they are. very fast quick acquisition fighting sights. Defninltely not target sights but sights made for up close shooting basically IMO 10 yards and under. at 15 yards they cover alot, but I love um on my PM9 and my P380 kahr

Well said. The big dot is great for up close and personal. Really draws your eye where it needs to be when the rest of your body is going to pieces with adrenaline. The standard dot is still fast but gives you a little more accuracy down range where you got a bit more time.

royaluno
02-14-2010, 06:02 AM
The K elites on with night sights on gunbroker (When up for sale) are $100.00 more than standard sights (They have those up). I plan on target shooting also. Is it worth the extra money to buy (upgraded) night sights? Are they that much better than the ones that come with the pistol (when they are for sale)?
Thanks
I appreciate all your replies

Bawanna
02-14-2010, 01:39 PM
The K elites on with night sights on gunbroker (When up for sale) are $100.00 more than standard sights (They have those up). I plan on target shooting also. Is it worth the extra money to buy (upgraded) night sights? Are they that much better than the ones that come with the pistol (when they are for sale)?
Thanks
I appreciate all your replies

In my experience both for myself and helping officers with their personal purchases I find it cheaper to order the gun with the sights already on if you can find what you really want.
No one can answer for you "are they that much better". That's your call.
I find the standard sights work just fine for me. Night sights are certainly nice to have. One plus to the XS system is the night sights show up equally well in daylight which isnt always the case with some of the others. Old eyes are a pain to deal with sometimes.
As mentioned before pandoras box is officially open.

wyntrout
02-14-2010, 01:42 PM
IF you're uniquely qualified, here's a terrific offer:
https://www.ffdoa.org/attachments/wysiwyg/14/KahrSheet.pdf
Bravo to Kahr. I wish that I qualified.:(
Wynn:)

A search for "Kahr PM45 DLC with night sights" on Google gave me the above results!

Bawanna
02-14-2010, 01:51 PM
She was gonna be an actress, and I was gonna learn to fly, now I'm flying in my taxi, taking tips and getting high! Sorry couldn't help myself.
Great deal for pilots.:)

hsart
02-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Check out the XS Tritium stripe rear sight to go along with the big dot or standard dot front sight. New product for 2010. Now if they only listed Kahr as a gun they have made this new rear sight for. I think this combo may be the perfect combo for those age/eyesight challenged.

XS Sight Systems - Handgun Sights - 24/7 Express (http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html)

wyntrout
02-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Check out the XS Tritium stripe rear sight to go along with the big dot or standard dot front sight. New product for 2010. Now if they only listed Kahr as a gun they have made this new rear sight for. I think this combo may be the perfect combo for those age/eyesight challenged.

XS Sight Systems - Handgun Sights - 24/7 Express (http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html)

They are available at Kahr: Tritium night sight set. Fits new style slide with new dovetail except CW Series & P380.
KAHR ARMS ONLINE SHOP (http://www.kahrshop.com/index2.asp?cate=acc&model=sights)
Wynn

hsart
02-14-2010, 03:07 PM
They are available at Kahr: Tritium night sight set. Fits new style slide with new dovetail except CW Series & P380.
KAHR ARMS ONLINE SHOP (http://www.kahrshop.com/index2.asp?cate=acc&model=sights)
Wynn
Thanks for that! Did not think about checking the Kahr shop. Do you think I should be concerned going with the XS big dot sight set as far as holster compatibility with my existing holsters.

wyntrout
02-14-2010, 06:22 PM
I know that can be a concern and several of the guys here have those Big Dots. Maybe they can help you. I just have the regular sized Tru Dots and Trijicon. You could try a search on the forum and find the relevant posts.
Wynn

Steve-$
02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I have a XS Big Dot tritium sight on my S&W "J" frame and it helps with my aging eyes.
I like them enough that I am in the process of having Kahr install a set on my new K9 Elite.
The sights on the "J" frame have not interfeared with any of my holsters, but I can not comment about the on the K9, as I have not gone down that road yet.
I too aggree they are for up close & personal shooting of 7 to 10 yards.

Good Luck.

MiltonY
04-26-2010, 11:22 AM
I began with XS 24/7 standard dots, figuring they would be more accurate than big dots. I have them on a Glock 19. On my carry Kahrs I have big dots. I even called XS to discuss the issue after doing endless research. They told me it didn't matter but I couldn't logically believe them. (i.e., Big = crude; small = fine) Truth be told, I discovered they were right, and the issue is consistency of sight picture more than size of the front dot. If you can establish how you want to "dot the i" and do it consistently, you can be every bit as accurate as 3 dots or any other kind of sights. Where I find big dots excel is speed to target since they are just so much simpler to acquire a good sight picture. I haven't found any sight style to be inherently more or less accurate if we do our part.

In-Yo-Grill
04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Here's a comparison of the night sights. Trijicon's on the right and Meprolight's on the left. The Meps are much bigger...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Fresh2Salt/My%20Guns/P4250005.jpg

hsart
04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I began with XS 24/7 standard dots, figuring they would be more accurate than big dots. I have them on a Glock 19. On my carry Kahrs I have big dots. I even called XS to discuss the issue after doing endless research. They told me it didn't matter but I couldn't logically believe them. (i.e., Big = crude; small = fine) Truth be told, I discovered they were right, and the issue is consistency of sight picture more than size of the front dot. If you can establish how you want to "dot the i" and do it consistently, you can be every bit as accurate as 3 dots or any other kind of sights. Where I find big dots excel is speed to target since they are just so much simpler to acquire a good sight picture. I haven't found any sight style to be inherently more or less accurate if we do our part.
Well said... consistency of sight picture does make sense. I shoot my PM45 more accurately than my Glock 19, probably due to this - more range practice with the PM and I tend to be more consistent with acquiring the front sight with the PM. ALso the Kahr trigger feels smoother to me. I tend to get a little lazy with the G19 since it is such an easy shooter with virtually no recoil. I will try the big dots on a P380 and then decide on big vs. standard dot on a PM9.

royaluno
04-27-2010, 08:11 AM
I see red on your slide.
Did someone get bit?:spider:

In-Yo-Grill
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
I see red on your slide.
Did someone get bit?:spider:

That's a great I've been using made by Quantum. So far it seems to work fine and I'll continue to use it until I run out.

corwinej
04-27-2010, 08:58 AM
IF you're uniquely qualified, here's a terrific offer:
https://www.ffdoa.org/attachments/wysiwyg/14/KahrSheet.pdf
Bravo to Kahr. I wish that I qualified.:(
Wynn:)

A search for "Kahr PM45 DLC with night sights" on Google gave me the above results!

wish they would give military members that price!

cobrasjp
04-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Just installed the XS BigDots on my K9. They do not interfere with my VesaMax II, Alessi Talon, or the Mitch Rosen OWB holster that came from KahrShop.
Lots of extra room around the sights.
Hope this helps with your concerns about the sights interfering with your holsters.

paintwerk
04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
I have the Meprolights on my P9, and I like them, but I probably would have gone with the XS big dots had they been an option from Kahr.

Im planning on picking up a CW9 and chopping the grip to covert length. The XS big dots would be perfect for that project. Hopefully they will come out with some XS sights for the CW series.

Someone had mentioned the Truglo TFO sights, I dont have the TFO, but I have a set of the regular Fiber optic sights on my XD sub compact. They have proven to be very durable, and I like them a lot.

at_liberty
04-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Im planning on picking up a CW9 and chopping the grip to covert length.

Uh, wait! Why would you do that? Are you talking new or used gun? Do you do the work yourself? Kahr means more than the C series, but the ante gets higher.

at_liberty
04-27-2010, 12:17 PM
A picture of the defunct P9 Covert makes it more clear what you are talking about. The gun obviously needs a grip extension but not on the backside where it would defeat the concealment purpose of the short grip. The P9 as it is now, one more round, is a well balanced, sensible choice for holster carry. A pocket gun needs a short barrel as well, favoring the PM series with that same short grip, so I can see how the Covert dropped out of the line.

P9 Covert for sale LNIB. (http://www.hyattgunstore.com/product.php?productid=20416)

at_liberty
04-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Well, I thought I would bid on that Covert 40 in 98% condition, considering how low the number was moving, and wound up owning it for $342, probably about $430 after I get it home clear of all the shipping, fees, and taxes.

Now I get to join the game and decide what sights upgrade I might want. I might even do a ported barrel. At that barrel length (3 1/2) it could become a compact IWB carry for me when needed. Lately my regular carry is a 1911 Compact Commander carried OWB. That requires a lighter option but preferably a better sight radius than the PM40. The Covert has that. The PM40 will remain my fanny pack gun for driving. The T40 has moved into the background as the heaviest to carry next to my 1911 Government.