PDA

View Full Version : Kahr MK9 wood grip question

VBVAGUY
02-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Looking for a MK9 and have some questions about the wood grips for it:

1. Are the wood grips thicker or thinner than the stock grips ??

2. Does anyone make black wood grips or a darker brown wood grips ??

Thanks for any info.

Blakestr
02-13-2010, 11:09 AM
They are thicker...make sure you ask Kahr to send the wooden grip screws, the stock ones WILL not fit...

Offhand I don't know of any darker wood grips or black...you'd have to find a custom gunsmith who specializes in making grips to cut you some....

Bawanna
02-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks for any info.

At the risk of bringing on an onslaunt of grip orders and having to quit my day job (would that be so bad) I might be able to help. I make grips as a hobby. If you have a little bit of patience, I have access to an MK9, I could build you some. I can checker and even put in an inlay or pin or whatever if you want. I'm sitting here waiting for instructions from Ms. Zena on some pretty wood handles but other than that I'm ready to make sawdust. I always use the screws that come with them so mine must be thinner but if you want thick we can do that too. I usually just build em, and take whats offered, hopefully enough to cover some materials and in this case postage. Only mailed one set before, they went to Arkansas and now we're pen pals.
Nice thing is if you don't like em, they burn nice in the wood stove and I'll try again till we get it right. Can't beat that deal.:cool:

quikduk
02-13-2010, 08:01 PM
O.K. You have piqued my interest. I was planning to either get the Walnut or Cocobolo grips...but...

I am interested. I will think about the inlay thing...possibly a Texas Ranger star or something. I am not sure whether half checkered (like the Kahr ones) or smooth would be appropriate but I am open to some ideas before the wood chips fly.

I also like the Springfield EMP gray checkered alum./titanium looking grips but I don't know how much work that would be.

PM me and we can exchange contact info.

Also, if you have pics of past grips it would help.

Bawanna
02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I'll do the PM and see if I can make pictures happen but it'll be tomorrow sometime.

quikduk
02-13-2010, 08:38 PM
That would be great. Thanks.

VBVAGUY
02-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Please post any pictures or share your ideas with us. Even though I currently do not have the MK9 yet, it would be fun just trying to imagine custom grips for it.

Bawanna
02-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Well I couldn't figure out how to send pics to a PM so I'll hang em here.
I got some already in the file here but couldn't figure out how to get them attached. I'm techno challenged, also not much of a picture taker.
Get your MK9 and we'll work on some wood. Swampman I'm researching yours. Open to any ideas anyone wants to throw in.

quikduk
02-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I like the darker wood with lighter "hints" of the Cobra and Para. I will send some pics a.s.a.p. of some different woods that "interest me" and some "logo" ideas.

BTW, your work looks excellent!!!

ripley16
02-14-2010, 07:55 AM

Thanks for any info.

1. I've only measured the K9 grips, and the stock rubber grips are the same as the wood grips.

2. Not that I know of. Sorry.

jeep45238
02-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I can checker

Would you be willing to do a full checker job on a set of grips for a T40? Shoot me a PM if you are :D

Bawanna
02-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I like the darker wood with lighter "hints" of the Cobra and Para. I will send some pics a.s.a.p. of some different woods that "interest me" and some "logo" ideas.

BTW, your work looks excellent!!!

The darker wood you mention on both the Cobra and the Para is Gaboon Ebony, it's awesome stuff, Checkers very well and is real hard. Also very expensive but it's only money. Sadly love won't buy it though. I'm not sure I have a piece left big enough but been meaning to visit the wood store and get some more if they have it.
Keep in mind that I'm really not an artist, when you say "logo" I'm hoping you mean a pin or something that I can inlay. I'm not talented enough to carve but I'm trying. Thing about wood is every piece is different, might find some with blonde hints, might be all black. I love wood. Trying to come up with a way to put wood on a glock. I think even in this world of plastic I'd still be filthy rich, we'd all be. I'd share. Off to a gunshow right now.

quikduk
02-14-2010, 06:29 PM
PM me with the cost for a set of MK grips in the Gaboon Ebony and any other wood species.

Re: the Texas Star, yes I meant a "button" or something similar and not an engraving. I/we would just have to locate two of them, probably the size of a nickel. I also want to get/use either the tri-star stainless screws or the stainless torx screws for the grips. I will probably have to source these elsewhere but that is o.k.

Let me know.

Thanks

dannyeller
05-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I just bought a M4043 (MK40). I plan on customizing this gun quite a bit.

I want to:

-Debur the edges, polish the feed ramp and funnel the mag well (might do this myself?)
-Magnaport it (Magnaport)
-Checker/stipple the front strap (?)
-Blacken the Stainless/smooth action/NP3 internals (Robar)
-Novak Tritiums (Kahr?)
-AND... Put on a set of thin Rosewood Laminate Wood Grips.

I'm in Afghanistan right now but the pistol will be waiting for me at a local gun shop when I get home on June 1st and I want to get it sent off for the work while I'm gone during July/August. I bought it on GunBroker.com

Any help on who to do it and how to get this done would be much appreciated.

jocko
05-17-2010, 01:48 PM
we have on this forum one hell of a agrip carver that can do what you want, I have no doubt about it. If he wants to contact you, he will. I just don't want to divulge his name. He is one carver, for sure...