PDA

View Full Version : Brass Bonanza at the range

DJK11
04-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Weekly visit to the range today and my favorite lane was taken, a gentleman with a bunch of 45 pistols. Brass everywhere, probably a few hundred. Anyway, I start with the PM45. After about 15 min. he starts packing up to leave. He scoops up his big-ol-pile of brass and asked if I reload. Heck yes I said with a big grin. I'm glade I have plastic bags in the range bag. More than 420 pieces total.

Then three guys come in and start shooting S&W Bodyguards. So I pull out the P380 and I collect about 270 pieces of brass from them.

I traded pistols with one of the guys shooting the S&W. What a lousy trigger on the Bodyguard. I shot it without the laser and it shot POA but I staged the trigger. Once you handle a Kahr DAO, the rest is *#@*%! The other guy didn't want to give back my P380. Kept praising the smooth trigger.

Ken_K
04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Nothing like loading up on free brass. I wasn't impressed with the Bodyguard's trigger either, you just can't beat a Kahr DAO trigger.

Bawanna
04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Nice score.

houdini
04-10-2012, 03:51 PM
you must have been in heaven.

MW surveyor
04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Free brass is the best brass :)

dkmatthews
04-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Free brass is the best brass :)

Roger that!

I hit the brass jackpot yesterday, too. At my local wildlife club, I put about 30 rounds down range with the high power rifles and then decided to have some pistol time. Only one of the 10 pistol bays was being used, so I just chose one at random. Ka-chow! Whoever had been there before me left at least 250 pieces of .45acp and about the same number of 9mm brass in the dirt and none of it was corroded.

JFootin
04-11-2012, 07:14 AM
I was looking at a catalog from Dillon the other day, and they had a brass picker upper tool with a long handle for effortless pickup. The price was about $40.

dkmatthews
04-11-2012, 07:19 AM
I was looking at a catalog from Dillon the other day, and they had a brass picker upper tool with a long handle for effortless pickup. The price was about $40.

Hmmmmmmmmm.... I know I get the Dillon catalog in my mail box but I don't seem to remember any of the products in it.... I wonder why.... :D :D :D

Ken_K
04-11-2012, 07:20 AM

It looks like what we use to pick up pecans, except the wires aren't spaced out as much.

DJK11
04-11-2012, 03:29 PM

My local range HAD four of those. They lasted about two weeks before the "clientele" destroyed them.

rago
09-01-2012, 04:31 PM
showed up to the range when i knew fbi was qualifying, showed up too late there must have been 6 case boxes of 500 rnd boxes empty where they shot all i could find was about 300 brass left in the sand that i raked up. dam maybe next time. all 40 s&w that i can never find mush of anyway.

TonyT
09-01-2012, 06:53 PM
The only brass I will not pick up is 9mm unless it's from a shooter shooting factory ammo. Too many USPSA shooters using 9omm Major - they use once fired brass and don't pick jup their empties.