PDA

View Full Version : Cut down (carbine length) Mosin Nagant

gb6491
04-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Stopped in a local pawn shop the other day and picked up a little blond finished, carbine length Mosin Nagant. Bore looked ok, as did the metal. The stock was beat up some, but no cracks or repairs. It was missing a barrel band and spring. After I got it home and cleaned off some heavy grease, I discovered it was missing the ejector, ejector spring and screw.:o Ordered the parts and decided to refinish the stock while waiting for them. Sorry, I didn't take any "before photos" as I had it apart before thinking about that and a being a little miffed about the missing innards, wasn't about to put it back together for a photo shoot. Anyway, parts are in, stock is done, and it's all back together:) First two shots at fifty yards were into a two inch diameter dot I had drawn on to a piece of typing paper as an aiming point (pretty happy with that). The rifle points very well. I had it along yesterday while shooting some other pieces and pulled it out of the case towards dusk. (I had read they create quite a fireball when fired at night). I fired about 25 rounds at a piece of typing paper on a target set out at 100yds in light ranging from where I could barely see both sights, to just the front, and finally, just the front ring. I was surprised to find all but two rounds were on the typing paper) with the two about an inch off). I'm looking forward to some more range time with this little cold war trophy.:D
Regards,
Greg
http://i39.tinypic.com/ad2n0g.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_l0-_7bI_Q&feature=youtu.be

jlottmc
04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Nice score, I have a Polish M44 and a 91/30 (Izzy), both great guns.

lowroad
04-11-2012, 01:30 PM
purdy.

Bawanna
04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Turned out sweet. You use Linseed on that beauty? I'm sniffing hard as I can but I can't pick up the scent.

It looks a tad glossy so maybe Tung oil or Lin Speed? Again no smell, can't tell.

I gotta get some ammo and shoot mine. Had it a couple years and never got around to shooting it yet.

Guess I better check for missing parts just in case. Again.

Popeye
04-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Very nice Greg. Glad to hear it shoots well. The recoil is a bit stout and the stock a bit short for my liking so I added a replacement rubber recoil pad to the stock.

gb6491
04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks all:)
Bawanna,
You've a good eye sir, it is indeed tung oil.
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
04-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Watched the video, the recoil doesn't look bad at all, I figured it would be a little more substantial.

DeaconKC
04-11-2012, 07:57 PM
That's actually called the M38, made for artillery crews and you have the correct stock for it. Often they had the M44 stock with the groove cut for a folding bayonet. You have certainly made that one look great.

DubDubU
04-11-2012, 08:27 PM
That sure is a nice looking rifle. Now I have another itch I gotta scratch. Been too long since I've shot mine. I have one that won and lost the same war.

gb6491
04-11-2012, 09:09 PM
DeaconKC and DubDubU,

That's actually called the M38,...
Deacon,
That's what I thought when I first saw it, but it's actually an M91/59 (http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/m9159-carbine.asp) (sorry, should have mentioned that earlier).
Regards,
Greg

tv_racin_fan
04-12-2012, 02:40 AM
I was checking that out.. almost made the mistake of claiming it was an M-38.

According to this site it is indeed a M91/59.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm

When I first saw the thead title I was thinking you might have gotten one of the brass stacker Mosin scout rifles.

http://brassstacker.com/scout-rifle/

Now I am thinking I might need to get another one and cut it down. I bet it would be super handy with a 2 or 3 power red dot.

Popeye
04-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Watched the video, the recoil doesn't look bad at all, I figured it would be a little more substantial.

The recoil combined with the metal butt plate with sharp edges wearing a T shirt trust me can be a bit painful. At least I found it to be. My Garand is much more shoulder friendly, but the Mosin is a great rifle for the money. Having both a M1 Garand and a Mosin 91/30 it is easy to see why the Garand was such a feared rifle to go up against by the enemy. Hard to believe there from the same time period. It's been reported that some Iraqies still use the Mosin. They are a blast to shoot though and are still pretty darned accurate for there age. My Izzy appears to be refurbished because all the number match(restamped more than likely) and the barrel has been counter bored about a 1/2" on the business end. The action of the bolt is pretty darned remarkable for a rifle that was made in 1942 in the Izhevsk Arsnenal.
IMO the Mosin Nagant is almost a must have for a guy who likes shooting rifles, and for around a $100 how can you go wrong.
:D

chipD
04-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Looks really nice, I have always liked oiled finishes. I'm sure you will enjoy it at the range.

Popeye
04-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Looks really nice, I have always liked oiled finishes. I'm sure you will enjoy it at the range.
Totally agree.
Mine has been tung oiled with a clear Minwaxwax finish.

chipD
04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
You know I see crates of surplus rifles at the LGS, and I love seeing what folks do with them. Nice to see some TLC put into them and the great results, looks nice gents.

Ken_K
04-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Very nice! I refinished the stock on my 1939 91/30, it's not as nice as yours but I left all the little nicks and dings in it for character.

DeaconKC
04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Very nice gb! I have never gotten to handle one of those and am still looking for a good M38 myself. There's a Westinghouse 91 and a Tula M44 in the locker right now and i would like to add the 38 just to round out the series.

gb6491
04-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Totally agree.
Mine has been tung oiled with a clear Minwaxwax finish.

Nice work on that laminated stock Popeye!

Well Bawanna's comment,"It looks a tad glossy so maybe Tung oil or Lin Speed? Again no smell, can't tell.", got me to thinking. My local hardware store was out of the product I normally use and sure enough, after checking it more closely, what I bought is a wiping varnish labeled "Tung Oil". So, I've stripped that (and some of the stain) off and applied boiled linseed oil to the stock. I'm still pretty pleased with it and have swapped out the bolt handle for something turned down.
http://i44.tinypic.com/rsbts6.jpg
tv_racin_fan, thanks for brasstacker link:)
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
04-16-2012, 11:48 AM
I thought it looked great before and it still does.

I love that turned down bolt too. Just looks more normal and what we're accustomed to.

melissa5
04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Whatever it is, I wish I could shoot it. Looks great, Greg!

Popeye
04-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Greg
Thanks Greg,After looking at your rifle again I'm really liking that carbine model more and more. I've been looking at the SKS's at the military surplus GS but might have to see if they have any MN carbines next time around.
What is the overall length?
All of a sudden now that I own one and started to get into some conversations with people about them. I don't know why I never owned one sooner. Darned fine old rifles at a great price.

gb6491
04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Melissa and Bawanna,

Greg
Thanks Greg,After looking at your rifle again I'm really liking that carbine model more and more. I've been looking at the SKS's at the military surplus GS but might have to see if they have any MN carbines next time around.
What is the overall length?
All of a sudden now that I own one and started to get into some conversations with people about them. I don't know why I never owned one sooner. Darned fine old rifles at a great price.
Popeye,
It's just at 40 inches, about the same length as my Savage Model 10 (former Scout rifle):
http://i40.tinypic.com/261ksvn.jpg
Here's a comparison shot with an 1891/30 Mosin Nagant:
http://i43.tinypic.com/9iwa6v.jpg
Regards,
Greg

jlottmc
04-18-2012, 12:20 PM
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm I think most of us can actually relate to this, especially with the connoisseurs we have here. Again nice score.

gb6491
04-18-2012, 01:07 PM
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm I think most of us can actually relate to this, especially with the connoisseurs we have here. Again nice score.
From the Mosin Humor link: "You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2x4."
LOL, that was pretty much the truth when I first started shooting these. Tried most of cures (to include spinning a chamber brush with a hand drill) with little joy. The "sniper" bolt bodies helped quite a bit and the "cock on closing" mod helped some with the stock bolt body. Then I met a gent that said it was all in the bolt head. I figured it was worth a shot and bought three. Worked like a charm, the two I installed cured the two sticky MNs I had. I was probably lucky with that, but then again, maybe I was unlucky with the original bolt heads. BTW, I used a head space gauge from here: http://www.okiegauges.com/ after swapping out the bolt heads (seem like good folks).
The 91/59 doesn't have the issue as found.:D

Popeye,
I forgot to mention that I like the SKS and have one of the short ones that Navy Arms imported. They called it "The Cowboy's Companion" and sold a small side mount scope with it. It's a nice compact rifle. However, I do have to say that the little Mosin Nagant is my favorite of the two.
http://i39.tinypic.com/24bkf0h.jpg
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
04-18-2012, 01:29 PM
I like them turned down bolt handles. You weld those yourself Greg?

gb6491
04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
I like them turned down bolt handles. You weld those yourself Greg?
Naw Boss, I get them from a guy that comes to the local gun show. They are really well done (far above my skill set and equipment) and not nearly as expensive as some offered on the web. Lot of folks around here use them and I've yet to hear a complaint.
Regards,
Greg

Popeye
04-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Greg that is a sweet looking bunch of rifles you have there. Those turned down bolts give a little more leverage then the regular straight shorter ones. Love that SKS, very nice. That link is very funny.:D

SpecK
04-18-2012, 04:07 PM
@Popeye - How did you get the grain to show up like that in your Nagant stock? Are they all like that? Got a gun show coming up and I wanna grab my first one but trying to figure out what its going to look like fully stripped and sanded. Havent seen pictures of other MN stocks like that. Thanks

Bawanna
04-18-2012, 04:14 PM
@Popeye - How did you get the grain to show up like that in your Nagant stock? Are they all like that? Got a gun show coming up and I wanna grab my first one but trying to figure out what its going to look like fully stripped and sanded. Havent seen pictures of other MN stocks like that. Thanks

I believe Popeye's is a laminate stock. I'm hoping he'll confirm for us but I would think that's an aftermarket but very correct stock.

I've never seen one on a surplus rifle. Gregs appear to be on the nicer side of what you normally encounter. My M44 is very similar, my 91/30 isn't even close. Looks like it got drug over behind a truck.

Like to stumble onto a nicer one some day.

SpecK
04-18-2012, 04:25 PM
I believe Popeye's is a laminate stock. I'm hoping he'll confirm for us but I would think that's an aftermarket but very correct stock.

I've never seen one on a surplus rifle. Gregs appear to be on the nicer side of what you normally encounter. My M44 is very similar, my 91/30 isn't even close. Looks like it got drug over behind a truck.

Like to stumble onto a nicer one some day.

After my post I was looking a little more and found this site. WoWiE!

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Boyds-Mosin-Nagant-Socks-s/172.htm

Bawanna
04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
I've worked at least a dozen stocks from Boyds. About the only game in town lately. Usually good stuff.

Popeye
04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Yes it is the original Laminate stock. The pic doesn't show it but it still has some of the Russian markings still on it which I was careful not to remove. Not all 91/30 Mosins have the laminate stocks. It my understanding they did that because they were runnning out of good wood to make stocks. So lamination was the answer. It does give them an interesting look I think. I believe I mentioned before. I dark walnut stained it added a few coats of tung oil and finished it off with a couple coats of clear mixwax.
It was made in 1942 at the Izhevsk Arasenal. I also believe it was refurbished at the same arsenal as the barrel has been recrowned and counter bored about a 1/2", and after the war it was stored away for many of years. The rifle when I bought it was cover quite heavily in cosmoline. I literally had to scrub every piece in Keroseine. For the $110 I spent for it, it has been a fun little project and now that I have a sling and a rubber recoil pad on it will be a lot more fun for this old guy to shoot. IMO it was worth every penny I spent for it. When I get the chance I'll put some before and after pics up. For now though it's LETS GO FLYERS

SpecK
04-18-2012, 05:23 PM
I've worked at least a dozen stocks from Boyds. About the only game in town lately. Usually good stuff.

So laminate is still okay to be modified? Ive been wanting to try my hand at checkering and think it might be a nice edition to the multi-layered look

EDIT: Thanks Popeye! and i guess that answers my above question as well! You guys are the bomb.com

that cosmoline is funky- first time id ever seen someone put a gun in the oven was because of that nasty stuff :)

Popeye
04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
that cosmoline is funky- first time id ever seen someone put a gun in the oven was because of that nasty stuff :)

Using a heat gun helps loosen it up some in those cracks and crevises.

I've dealt with Boyds gunstocks in the past and have always been happy.

Bawanna
04-18-2012, 07:09 PM
So laminate is still okay to be modified? Ive been wanting to try my hand at checkering and think it might be a nice edition to the multi-layered look

EDIT: Thanks Popeye! and i guess that answers my above question as well! You guys are the bomb.com

Speck, if you try checkering I'd strongly suggest you start with some sort of solid wood. The harder the better actually. The soft stuff Birch and such which actually makes a really good stock but the checkering, while fast isn't as clean and neat and the diamonds knock off easy.

With laminate your dealing with various hardness's of wood which it excellent for all things except checkering. It can be checkered and turn out real nice but I'd not try to learn or take it on as a first project.

I'm here for you if I can help in any way. It's not rocket science but you gotta get a feel for it.

Popeye
04-19-2012, 03:55 AM
A few before and after pics. The wood in the original finish looks better in the pic then it actually was. When I took the Shellac/Varnish mess off it the grain really popped out.

Bawanna
04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
That's hands down the nicest issued Nagant stock I've ever laid eyes on. I bet Ivan carried that beauty with pride.

Looked darn nice even before and flat beautiful after your makeover.

I have an SKS that has a laminate stock, I just might have to peel the shine off from it and see what's underneath that.

Rather than a gosh darn copy cat I'd just say I'm following your lead? Anybody buy that?

gb6491
04-19-2012, 10:23 AM
That's hands down the nicest issued Nagant stock I've ever laid eyes on. I bet Ivan carried that beauty with pride....
I agree, well done Popeye!

I have an SKS that has a laminate stock, I just might have to peel the shine off from it and see what's underneath that.
Rather than a gosh darn copy cat I'd just say I'm following your lead? Anybody buy that?
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/cool.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php), but we'll need "before and after" photos:D:hippie:
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Note to self. BEFORE Pictures. BEFORE Pictures. I always forget those. I'll try to remember this time.

Ken_K
04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Popeye, where did you get that recoil pad from?

Popeye
04-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Thank you gentilemen I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I really didn't know what to expect. When I say the grain popped out I should have said the color popped out.
Ken I got the recoil pad from GRG MFG. I found them on Amazon. Price was only $18.98 to the front door and came with ten stripper clips. I have not shot it yet though with it on there. However I'm sure my shoulder will appreciate it.

Ken_K
04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks Popeye!

Popeye
04-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Your quite welcome Ken.
Bawanna go for it. That laminate stock on that SKS will pop when you get that crap off there. (Remember before and after pics) I know when I get my SKS the first thing I'm going to do after removing the cosmoline is refinish the stock.

My M1 Garand has a Boyd's Replacement Stock on it for now, that I bought unfinished and finished myself. I use it quite often and do not want to ruin the original, which I will be put back on at a later date. (long story) From my experience with them. There good stocks that might or might not take a little fitting but the overall quality is good. I had to do some fitting on mine to get the trigger mechanism to snap in properly. I do get lots of good feedback on it on how it looks, and it is period correct replacement. Most people do not realize it is a replacement stock.

Bawanna
04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Your quite welcome Ken.
Bawanna go for it. That laminate stock on that SKS will pop when you get that crap off there. (Remember before and after pics) I know when I get my SKS the first thing I'm going to do after removing the cosmoline is refinish the stock.

My M1 Garand has a Boyd's Replacement Stock on it for now, that I bought unfinished and finished myself. I use it quite often and do not want to ruin the original, which I will be put back on at a later date. (long story) From my experience with them. There good stocks that might or might not take a little fitting but the overall quality is good. I had to do some fitting on mine to get the trigger mechanism to snap in properly. I do get lots of good feedback on it on how it looks, and it is period correct replacement. Most people do not realize it is a replacement stock.

I did the exact same thing with my Garand. I did an unfinished laminate stock for it and saved the original for posterity. Lately I've been thinking it survived a war, it should be able to handle anything I can do to it lovingly.
Thought about putting it back on. I'm sure Patton would rest easier.

I looked last night and my SKS isn't laminate, it's got a kind of duo tone (stain I think) finish on it and hard to say what's underneath. I'm sure it's original. It looks pretty nice so I'm tempted to leave it as is.

I'll post a picture when I get myself, it and a camera together at the same time.

Popeye
04-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Bawanna you had me wondering when you said your SKS had a laminate stock because I've never seen one before.

Bawanna
04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Now we're even, I never seen a laminate Nagant before.

My SKS is Russian and all milled, no stamping, got it when Clinton told us we couldn't have one.
Never shot it yet but I will some day.

I scored a real coup I have to share. It was in a shop that I later refused to do business with, nice range, nice show room, not nice help.

Any how they had like 4 of those cardboard drums with SKS's stuffed full. A big sign said your choice, I think it was 99 bucks. The were greasy nasty looking cosmolined blobs. They had taken this one and cleaned it all up and had it hanging on the wall.
Anticipating issues I asked a counterman (real jerk by the way) if the one hanging on the wall was the same as the ones in the barrels. He of course looked at me like I fell off a turnip truck yesterday and said it was in fact the same.

So I wandered over to the barrels, then wandered back and told him I'd take the one on the wall. I thought he was gonna faint! He said they couldn't do that. I confirmed to him that although I'd recently fell off a turnip truck that he told me they were the same. He refused to budge. So I had him get the owner (another jerk by the way, a lot of them in that shop). He said no too but after I explained the chain of events including total lack of respect from jerk # 1, he relented.

The crowning glory was he told # 1 as soon as my transaction was done to pick out the nicest one in the barrel and start cleaning it up.

That just has to make you smile.

Long story short a week or two later they ran a good friend out of the shop who uses a walker and his wife who uses a cane. He special ordered a gun and they apparently forgot to order it. Told him it was his fault for filling out the paperwork wrong. Haven't been there since.

Popeye
04-20-2012, 07:04 PM
WOW $99 for an SKS. That in itself is a great find. Cleaned up by them is definately a bonus. I'm past jealous. I 'm furtunate most of the GS near me I find are pretty good to deal with.