PDA

View Full Version : K series pistol

borgie_05
02-13-2010, 03:41 PM
I bought a new recoil spring (K-9) and it was longer than the original . Is the correct procedure to trim to length or to the number of coils?
borgie_05 :)

ripley16
02-13-2010, 03:57 PM
I bought a new recoil spring (K-9) and it was longer than the original . Is the correct procedure to trim to length or to the number of coils?

Not if it is the correct spring for the gun. Springs shorten with use. It is common for a replacement to be longer.

jocko
02-13-2010, 04:10 PM

pre designed SET. Your OK, just install the recoil spring and you willbe OK and soon it will take a set just like the one you are replacing. Pay attention to the recoil spring and always put the more open end of the recoil spring towards the front of the slide....

GOOFA
02-14-2010, 03:54 AM
Just count the coils, if they both have the same amount, your good.

jocko
02-14-2010, 06:27 AM

that can be misleading. heavier springs in poundage will have additional coils. I have never seen a new recoil spring yet that was the same length of one that has been in a gunf or awhile. Same thing for magazine springs. A built in set is there by design, so states wolffs gunsprings..

wyntrout
02-14-2010, 10:23 AM

That's too simplistic and just plain WRONG. There are a lot of elements deciding the strength and length of a "correct" spring. The manufacturer designs the spring for the intended use. Number of coils, temper of the wire used, and diameter of the wire are just a few characteristics deciding the appropriate spring for its intended use.
"Certified Armorer":confused:
Wynn

jocko
02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
wolffs makes all of kahr recoil springs, so I would think if you ordered from wolfs you woudl be ok. what wolffs does offer that kahr does not offer is extra strength recoil springs for the K9. Kahr standard factory springs are 18# . I believe wolffs offers two additional heavier poundage springs..

ripley16
02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
wolffs makes all of kahr recoil springs...

How would you know who their spring supplier is ... I'm curious? :confused:

wyntrout
02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Here is some info available at Wolff's site Q&A or FAQ:
Wolff Gunsprings - Firearm Springs for Semi-Auto Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, & Shotguns (http://www.gunsprings.com/faq)

GOOFA
02-15-2010, 12:44 AM
That's too simplistic and just plain WRONG. There are a lot of elements deciding the strength and length of a "correct" spring. The manufacturer designs the spring for the intended use. Number of coils, temper of the wire used, and diameter of the wire are just a few characteristics deciding the appropriate spring for its intended use.
"Certified Armorer":confused:
Wynn
No Wynn, not confused. Would you like me to forward my posts to you prior to posting for you to proofread?
I'm bad, I assumed the OP purchased the replacement from Kahr or Wolff. Recently I ordered 3 ea. recoil springs for CW9 and K9 from Kahr. You can lay out all 6 springs on a table and there's a good chance that they will all vary in length. In my case the 3 recoil springs for the K9 varied up to one inch, same with the recoil springs for the CW9. Now the only way to know which springs belong to the CW9 and K9 is to know the coil count, which Kahr will gladly tell you so you can distinguish one from the other. My partner ordered a recoil spring from Kahr last year. When it arrived it was quite a bit longer than the one in his K9. He called Kahr and told them that they shipped him the wrong size recoil spring and they told him to count the coils and that he should have counted I believe it was 19 coils, and that's what he had, problem solved.

wyntrout
02-15-2010, 01:06 AM
No Wynn, not confused. Would you like me to forward my posts to you prior to posting for you to proofread?
I'm bad, I assumed the OP purchased the replacement from Kahr or Wolff. Recently I ordered 3 ea. recoil springs for CW9 and K9 from Kahr. You can lay out all 6 springs on a table and there's a good chance that they will all vary in length. In my case the 3 recoil springs for the K9 varied up to one inch, same with the recoil springs for the CW9. Now the only way to know which springs belong to the CW9 and K9 is to know the coil count, which Kahr will gladly tell you so you can distinguish one from the other. My partner ordered a recoil spring from Kahr last year. When it arrived it was quite a bit longer than the one in his K9. He called Kahr and told them that they shipped him the wrong size recoil spring and they told him to count the coils and that he should have counted I believe it was 19 coils, and that's what he had, problem solved.
The way you said count the springs led me to believe that's all you were considering. All things being equal, yes the springs can vary in length and the coil count can be the same. As for the new recoil spring being longer, it hadn't been compressed and "set" yet. That's why I put the link to Wolff's FAQs about this subject after that post. I'm sorry that I misunderstood you. I think we both did some of that ass-u-me 'ing. :hippie:
Wynn:)

jocko
02-15-2010, 02:51 AM
your both right and hell een if it had one or two more coils, it would probalby make no differnece. I've not counted the coils in my K9 heavier recoil spring fom wolffs but I would venture to guess there are more coils and not thicker wire diameter. I know my extra power have one more coil than factory. Not sure there is alot of rocket science in recoil springs either. with the standard factory power rating and thent he two or 3 higher power ratings by wolffs, there is alot of play or leeway between the top and bottom poundages and they all seem to work as they should. Wolffs is probalby the premier company in this business. It is their livelhood so to say. they are probalby more knowledeable than most of the gun companies even. More than likely wolffs works with alot of these companies in the designing of their guns recoil system. We know kahr uses wolffs springs as does many other companies...

GOOFA
02-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Wynn...
All is well.:)

wyntrout
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Good.:)
I'm bad about opening mouth before I've taken in the whole situation, but sometimes you leap before you look, because you know it can't be worse than what's about to bite you in the butt!:D Thankfully, this wasn't one of those cases.:hippie:
Cheers!
Wynn

Dang! An Osprey just landed on the second telephone pole away from me with his very fresh (still flopping) catch to dine.(2:50 PM EST):hungry:Not really. Like my suishi cleaned a bit and from deeper waters!:puke:
Actually, just wanted to use the "puke" smilie.:D