PDA

View Full Version : First range report of new MK9 Elite

quikduk
02-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I got a chance to try out my new MK the other day at the range. While my grouping was o.k. for a first run with a new pistol, apparently I need to practice.

I can group in a 3"-4" circle consistently with my XD9sc at 20' and 30' (the 40' mark would have been guessing...or wishfull thinking on my part) but the little MK will take a bit more practice. I can say that if some of these were head shots, the BGs would be missing their ears. At 10' with some speed involved, I managed 4-5 out of 6 in the 3" range so not too bad for the first time out.

I found that although there wasn't as much muzzle flip as I expected (like with a PM9), I was not as comfortable nor as quick at picking up the front sight as the XD. Double taps were...uh...less accurate than desired and I am not sure my sight picture was correct. Some of this I am sure is due to my new prescription glasses as I am still getting used to them (nothing like age creeping...no...running up on you).

I will say that after 50+ rds, I never had a FTF or FTE so I am HAPPY.

I will schedule some outdoor range time in the future as this particular indoor range was only just o.k.

I am almost certain that the XS Big Dots would greatly help me with this pistol (or possibly the TruGlow TFO's).

Geohans
02-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Is the XD9sc similar in size? How about side by side pics? Or is this a trigger issue?

I think of the MK as a backup or deep deep cover option.

jocko
02-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Is the XD9sc similar in size? How about side by side pics? Or is this a trigger issue?

I think of the MK as a backup or deep deep cover option.

it is the trigger issue. XD have a different trigger system. Kahrs ar ein a league of their won with their trigger system. It is IMO the smoothest trigger system of any gun out there but as we owners know to, It has the looooongest trigger of any gun out there also. It takes time to get good with a kahr, some (myself included) never master a kahr like I can master my G 19. but I accept that to.

50 rounds out of his gun is just giving him some things that he now knows has to be worked out by just more shooting of his kahr. they are a super gun, IMO the best ccw on the market but certainly for me anyhow not my most accurate shooting gun. but it is with me 24/7 and that is the most important by far..

quikduk
02-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Exactly right jocko and Geohans, I will have to do the pics thing Monday.

I realize they have different trigger systems even though they are both striker fired pistols. I wanted the MK as primarily a BUG but I still need to become proficient with it.

Re: size, the MK is thinner, and shorter in both height and length than the XDsc. I have Pierce finger mag extensions on both for better grip but the MKs diminutive size is noticeable. The grip distance is considerably shorter with the MK as well and after shooting it, I can see why some can limp-wrist it if they don't pay attention to proper grip and forearm position.

More on the comparison later.

jocko
02-14-2010, 07:57 AM
nothing against the xd either but I will take a MK any day,just such a simple made gun and top quality to boot.

10Kahrs
02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Yup have to get use to those kahr triggers Mk9 aint no range pistol

quikduk
02-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I went to the range again and put 100 WWB through the MK. While I was better (BG still had ears this time), I was having a tough time with the FS acquisition. :( I posted my response in the XS-Big Dot thread.

I think I will be going with a set of these as this is not only a CCW but a BUG to my XD9sc (which I will either get the XS for or TruGlow-TFO).

I was more consistent but the grouping still needs work. I am sure it has to do with the short trigger-grip distance. I am not haveing any FTE or FTF issues ATM so that is a good sign...but it points to ME!!! :rolleyes:

I can say that my DTs are getting better re: closeness and too firm of a grip makes for wild shooting as I am then pressing too hard in a variety of directions. When I use a firm RH grip with moderate LH support, I shoot much better.

It is funny as I debated having the MK as the primary carry but I can just about shoot the XD blind and keep my groups in a tight 3" dia. area at 10', 20' and 30'.

I guess the only thing left to do is practice more (oh darnit)...:33: