PDA

View Full Version : Top Shot - FN 5.7 tonight

chrish
04-17-2012, 08:33 PM
I see the FN 5.7 show up in discussions all the time. Seen them here and there at gun shows and now and then in the local GS. Never really interested until recently after catching it on a hickok45 video.

Now it's on top shot tonight. Gonna have to consider adding it to the purchase list. Looks to be one sweet shooting pistol.

That round just makes for some spectacular down-range damage.

kahrnut1
04-17-2012, 08:42 PM
bought one and being left handed the ambi safety and mag release made it southpaw friendly. good trigger practicly no recoil very accurate. i sold it because the brady bunch got the ammo that it was designed to shoot and be a man stopper banned for the general public. what you can get now are target loads or go to gunbroker and pay $300.00 a 100 when you can even get it.

chrish
04-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Good to know. Didn't know that. I have noticed ammo choices are limited to the FN brand, dunno I've seen anything else even. It'd only be a range gun for me anyway, but the expense of the gun itself means it'll be down the list for me anytime soon...unless I run across a steal on it somewhere.

AJBert
04-17-2012, 08:54 PM
It was on my short list...

until I picked on up from the counter at work. As far as I can tell, the only metal in the entire firearm is the barrel. There is no "chamber" for the casing, which, if you do a little searching, is why a few folks have had bad results.

True, most were reloads, but a split casing does happen once in a great while. With a metal chamber, it wouldn't be a big deal. With no chamber and only plastic, it has devastating effects.

Thus, no longer on my short list. But I'd still love to try one out!

kahrnut1
04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
the current rounds are hollow points and look like the ss190 and 192 rounds that were designed as self defense ammo however they are not the same and do not penetrate or tumble like the sd rounds. fn will only sell ss190 or ss192 to police depts with a letterhead po. there are ammo sellers that will tell you what they sell is the same thing but it is not. if you are going to use it as range gun you still are going to want to be able to load it sometime with sd ammo. i tried hard to get a steady supply and only ended up with 250 rounds that i paid $2.00 a round for

kahrnut1
04-17-2012, 09:03 PM
do not get me wrong shooting 30rds at a armidiilo running flat out was a blast. and when i lucked up and hit it was like a cheery bomb going off

ripley16
04-18-2012, 04:24 AM
I really enjoy the 5.7. It's lots of fun to shoot. My only complaint is that some ranges ban it because it damages range backstops. The Elite ammo is very effective, even more than some of the FN made ammo.
http://www.eliteammunition.net/57x28mm.html

The pistol is very well made, high quality and easy to use. This is the gun I'd give my mother for HD. The tiny rounds, both the 5.7 and the 4.6 are use by special forces to do away with lots of bad guys. They work.

Barth
04-18-2012, 05:47 AM
I thought about having one briefly.
The guns and ammo are crazy expensive.

Guess my more practical version of something like it
is my ported G27 357 Sig.

Thanks to the wisdom of our very own "I'd port the F*()&*)" Jocko,
the extended ported gun recoils like a 9mm
and launches 125 gr 1,350 fps missiles.

Longitude Zero
04-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Excellent weapon and ammo but.....

For the cost you can find just as good and have money left over. The weapon and its ammo are not sufficiently better to justify giving up what is available in the markeplace now for reasonable cost..

QuercusMax
04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I have a Five-seveN in FDE and really like it. Was my first, and so far my only, "plastic" gun. It's too big to carry, but very nice to shoot.

Nice things:
- 20rd magazines (comes with 3), and you can get ones that hold 30. That's a lot of ammo!
- Almost like having a mini-rifle in a pistol size package, at least at short ranges.
- Ammo is not as expensive as most people think; I pay about the same price for SS197 as I do for range-quality .45ACP when I order it, which is about 44 cents/round. LGS prices are always much higher - as much as 60 cents/round - but IS available most places I visit.
- Novelty factor. Very different from what everyone else has. Provides a lot of contrast to the other things I shoot.
- Light weight, "quiet" (this is relative), and easy to shoot because little recoil and good SA trigger

Drawbacks:
- Expensive. Typically about $1050 at the moment, although sometimes less.
- Limited ammo supply, so far only from FN (although actually made by S&B) in 2 types. EA also makes a variety of 5.7x28 rounds in higher capabilities, although use of them is controversial and supposedly will void the warranty.
- One more caliber of ammo to buy and stockpile. 5.7x28 is only used by one other weapon, the FN PS90 (really cool bullpup). Besides price, this was the other factor that held me back for a while.
- Some people think it's ugly. I think it's cool.

I looked at the Five-seveN quite a while before buying it. I eventually got it because of its capabilities and difference from everything else I already have.

jlottmc
04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
- One more caliber of ammo to buy and stockpile. 5.7x28 is only used by one other weapon, the FN PS90 (really cool bullpup)...

So you know, there are a couple of AR upper receivers that use the P/PS90 magazine and eject through the bottom.

Let me ask a silly question though, What about a 7.62x25 (the infamous Tokorev)? I have a CZ52, and with surplus ammo, am pretty sure I can punch a vest with that. It's cheap too. Thought I'd throw those out there to add to the confusion.

chrish
04-18-2012, 11:40 AM
The FN PS90 was also on Top Shot last night, in the elimination round. Pretty cool looking firearm as well, but the pistol was more interesting to me.

Reacher
04-18-2012, 02:43 PM
The FN PS90 was also on Top Shot last night, in the elimination round. Pretty cool looking firearm as well, but the pistol was more interesting to me.

That was the FS2000. But yes, pretty cool.

chrish
04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
That was the FS2000. But yes, pretty cool.

Oops, you are right, different model. My bad.