PDA

View Full Version : Short slide, short handle reliability

saltydog452
04-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Are the short slides long term reliable?

Thanks,

salty

jocko
04-21-2012, 01:48 PM
tell me more, what do u mean??

Barth
04-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Are the short slides long term reliable?
Thanks, salty

I have an MK40 that's got a 3.0 inch barrel and two finger grip that's perfect.
It's 100% reliable and I carried it as a backup today.
--------------------------------------------------------------Over the years I've read of some gun manufacturers being hit and miss with 3" 45 autos?
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo42/7b/64/a84dcf2de627__1333820178000.jpeghttp://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9999/federalamericaneagle115.jpg

MW surveyor
04-21-2012, 02:23 PM
I guess that he is talking about a 45?

saltydog452
04-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Well, short slides. As in shorter than a K/P slide.

I have no, zero, personal experience with the mini, micro, or whatever is the correct terminology for the short slide, short handle Kahrs.

In some platforms, the larger, more energetic rounds don't play as nice as the 9X19. Slide speed would seem to be 'snappy' with a short slide. With no personal history in the subject, I can only ask.

Don't get all defensive about this new intruder in your midst trying to glean a little information about a subject that I know nothing about.

salty

Barth
04-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Well, short slides. As in shorter than a K/P slide.

I have no, zero, personal experience with the mini, micro, or whatever is the correct terminology for the short slide, short handle Kahrs.

In some platforms, the larger, more energetic rounds don't play as nice as the 9X19. Slide speed would seem to be 'snappy' with a short slide. With no personal history in the subject, I can only ask.

Don't get all defensive about this new intruder in your midst trying to glean a little information about a subject that I know nothing about.

salty

Nobodies getting defensive, just asking for more info.
Kahr guns have something like six patents while developing some of the first micros years ago.
They have a great reputation in the industry.

Short slides, and in particular RSAs, are design challenges for all gun manufacturers.
I believe Kahr actually used a SeeCamp dual recoil spring design to get the 3.0" MK40 to work properly.

Bottom line, Kahr was one of the first, and specializes in, short slide autos.
They consistently stack up well with today's like firearms.

Allow me to rephrase;
There is no reliability difference with the Kahr MK/PM/CM guns and their full size counterparts in 9mm or 40.

CJB
04-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Ok here's what.

Short slides tend to move faster. Why? Less weight. Conservation of momentum says - same momentum one direction, less weight moving in the opposite direction - momentum must be equal, therefore... greater speed.

So if you're asking, does that make things wear out faster... not if it that speed it accounted for, and dealt with accordingly, and the metallurgy is as it ought to be.

On the other hand - the short 1911's... very short ones, not Officers or Commander, but the sub-Officer's sizes... and the Kahr, have very short "slide over-run", past the point of picking up a new cartridge from the magazine. On a 1911, there a lot of over-travel, or over-run, which coupled with a slower moving slide, accounts for a much greater time for the next round to rise to the top of the magazine. The over-run is nearly the same on even an Officer's size slide (but the slide is moving faster... so there's less rise time). On a Kahr, there is very very little over-travel, or over-run. The slide is fully rearward only a few millimeters from the point that an new cartridge must rise to the top of the magazine. That, coupled with a fast moving slide, equates to a very short time frame for that cartridge to get into place. So, the use of stronger magazine springs, is also needed, to make the cartridges rise faster.

The very short slides represent a very finely tuned mechanism. Should the shooter, the cartridge, the recoil spring, the magazine spring...get out of tune, then the pistol will not function as well as it should.

The longer slides with greater over travel, slower moving parts... are way more forgiving than the very refined (and very specialized) Kahrs.

Hope that answers the question (one way of another)

muggsy
04-24-2012, 05:24 PM
+1 Well said.

saltydog452
05-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks.

salty

cobrasjp
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Everything CJB said (very well I might add), plus shorter pistols have steeper feed ramps, which makes funelling a round into the chamber more difficult.
Compare the feed ramp on a Kahr barrel to the feed ramp on the barrel of a full size Springfield XD or S&W M&P.