PDA

View Full Version : Range Report on my new MK 9

Dukerdog
04-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Friday got the call from the police department that my permit was ready. Went to the police station then to the gun store to pick up my new Kahr MK 9. (Month and a half wait thanks NJ).:mad:

Very nice gun, clean and very tight fit on all parts. Cleaned, lubed and racked the slide as instructed 500 or so times (noticeable difference after racking, gun definitely loosened up) checked to make sure the magazine springs were in correctly. I use Ballistol to clean and lube also use Tetra white gun grease.

Sunday had a chance to go to the range. Brought 200 rounds (115 grain Remington 9mm) with me to break her in. I was very excited, bought it and never shot one before. Very nice trigger but I have to get used to it. All shots were to the left, if I did not concentrate the shots were allover the place.

I used a silhouette target and all shots were in the body but no tight groups from 15 yards. I had 1 stove pipe, 1 failure to eject and 2 failures to feed. I am sure it was me. Funny when I came home I noticed the grip screws were loose (All 4), I did not check them prior to going to shoot. :eek:

I found the gun fun to shoot, but the gun kept moving up in my grip (not sure sweaty hands, hands to big) and had to adjust my grip every shot, I wish the front strap had some texture; I will need to do something. (Grip tape? Not sure).

I shot 150 rounds as I had to leave (family stuff), but met some nice people at the range who did not reload, got some of their 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP brass.

All in all fun day at the range.:D

muggsy
04-23-2012, 09:28 AM
A little help with trigger control.

http://www.youtube.com/user/flicksguns#p/u/11/zKdXmcdB5WE

TucsonMTB
04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
I found the gun fun to shoot, but the gun kept moving up in my grip (not sure sweaty hands, hands too big) and had to adjust my grip every shot, I wish the front strap had some texture; I will need to do something. (Grip tape? Not sure).

I shot 150 rounds as I had to leave (family stuff), but met some nice people at the range who did not reload, got some of their 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP brass.

All in all fun day at the range.:D
Glad you had a good day at the range! Second the motion about grip tape. It really helps the smooth forestraps on a couple of our 1911's. It may even be part of the solution for improved accuracy.

That said, don't worry too much about your group size until you have more time to bond with this gun. As you probably know, they always seem to magically improve with more rounds fired. :)

O'Dell
04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
You'll get better when you learn the trigger. I don't have a MK9, but do have an MK40, and it is quite accurate at the 10 to 12 years where I usually shoot.

JFootin
04-23-2012, 04:23 PM
You'll get better when you learn the trigger. I don't have a MK9, but do have an MK40, and it is quite accurate at the 10 to 12 years where I usually shoot.

Whaaat? :confused: :)

jocko
04-23-2012, 04:30 PM
yup JFootin, O'dell has caught the JOCKO syndrome!!!!!! just sayin.

TucsonMTB
04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I took that as "light years" and was hoping to borrow some of Mr. O'Dell's long distance ammo. ;)

Austerity
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Glad you are enjoying your new MK Duker. As a previous NJ resident, against my will, for 3 years, I must ask. What good does a single stack sub-compact do for you in a state where there is no concealed carry?

kerby9mm
04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Glad you are enjoying your new MK Duker. As a previous NJ resident, against my will, for 3 years, I must ask. What good does a single stack sub-compact do for you in a state where there is no concealed carry?

I live in Michigan and have what here is called a CPL. I will admit when I bought my mk9 the reason was cc. I liked it so much that I bought a mk40 just to have it as they are rare around here. To me there is something special about those guns. Even if I didn't have a cpl I would still have them.

Dukerdog
04-23-2012, 07:42 PM
I have my Florida & VA cc permit. I am in PA a lot and will use when I go there.

Muggsy thanks for the recommendation of the YouTube video great explanation why I was shooting left.

Thanks again everyone.
Marc

O'Dell
04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
yup JFootin, O'dell has caught the JOCKO syndrome!!!!!! just sayin.

I don't think one typo in 2 1/2 years qualifies me. :)

Austerity
04-24-2012, 06:26 AM
I have my Florida & VA cc permit. I am in PA a lot and will use when I go there.

Muggsy thanks for the recommendation of the YouTube video great explanation why I was shooting left.

Thanks again everyone.
Marc

Oh cool, that makes sense. I have FL, UT, and PA as well. The more options, the better! Of course I have GA as well since I live there, but hey. If only we could just carry everywhere with one permit! :crazy:

m9x18
04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Congratulations on the MK9 Dukerdog! It's truly a fine pistol. Plus, I also found the You Tube video Muggsy linked very instructional. There are lots of good people and sound advice to be found on this forum.

Robert

vaflash1950
05-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Just picked up my new MK9 . . . and other than the grip set that came on the gun, this is one of the best shooting gun's I have ever owned (and I've owned plenty) considering those things that I need from a handgun (like concealability, and size, weight, etc). I have (for a long time) a PM9 also, and have traded all sorts of other stuff (like my J Frames, a lightweight Colt Defender, and various other Sig's and on and on) to go exclusively with Kahr. They may be costly, but the cost is in my mind, the least issue for reliability that I get in return.

RedRyder
05-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for that video reference. That flattening of the trigger finger may really help me next time at range. I was doing just what they mentioned in getting my finger not perpendicular to the barrel when the shot broke. I'll be sure and this out.

pitandkahr
05-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Love the MK9. Did my maiden range trip today. Shot 150 WWB through her and only one FTF. Like OP said probably me. But like he experienced my grips were loose at the end of the day too. Caught me off guard. But needless to say love my new girl. Will shoot another 100+ on Sunday hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jocko
05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
one needs to keep an eye on the right side grips on the steel kahrs. The grips actually keep the trigger bari correct alighment. If they get loose they can cause issues. The purple locktie that most gun shops use is perfect. It holds but anything will break um loose. Nothing ike the blue or red locktite. Used alo on scope rings and bases.

Kinda hard not to like an MK9, IMO. be careful of any kind of cleaner that gun makers make as the finish on wood grips is very vulnerable to these cleaners. Take um off in doubt..

pitandkahr
05-18-2012, 07:53 PM
one needs to keep an eye on the right side grips on the steel kahrs. The grips actually keep the trigger bari correct alighment. If they get loose they can cause issues. The purple locktie that most gun shops use is perfect. It holds but anything will break um loose. Nothing ike the blue or red locktite. Used alo on scope rings and bases.

Kinda hard not to like an MK9, IMO. be careful of any kind of cleaner that gun makers make as the finish on wood grips is very vulnerable to these cleaners. Take um off in doubt..

Glad you mentioned it...Will grab some Lock-Tit and I have the rubber grips so no worries there and I don't plan on getting wood grips...