PDA

View Full Version : Sending my PM9 to Accurate Iron...

threejet
02-15-2010, 05:01 PM
...and I wanted your expert opinion.

Here is a little background...I picked up my new Kahr a few weeks back. It is a new Kahr PM9 all black. I've put 250 flawless rounds down range and have been extremely impressed!!! This thing has replaced my 642! I'm so much more comfortable with it and it is far more accruate than my 642.

However, I'm a little concerned about the grip...or lack thereof. I'm planning on sending it to Accurate Iron and have them texture the grip for a better handle. I'm also going to have them put on some XS Big Dot sights.

However, before I send it over, I thought I would run it past the group to see if there is anything else that should be done while they are working on it?

Thanks for the help!!!

mr surveyor
02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
unless you want to add drink holders and a cd player, it sound's like you have a perfect plan already:D

surv

Vinikahr
02-15-2010, 09:49 PM
It sounds like you want to modify your PM9 for shooting purpose, the PM9 was designed as self defense guns, and under stress all that will go out the window. Muscle memory will kick in that should take care the situation. I am not big fan of modifying the gun that I get only a few small modification that really does not alter the original design. Hey, but that is just me. If you like that then you should go for it. Some have indicated that the barrel should be re-crown as an additional features.:typing:

wyntrout
02-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Here is a little background...I picked up my new Kahr a few weeks back. It is a new Kahr PM9 all black. I've put 250 flawless rounds down range and have been extremely impressed!!! This thing has replaced my 642! I'm so much more comfortable with it and it is far more accruate than my 642.

However, I'm a little concerned about the grip...or lack thereof. I'm planning on sending it to Accurate Iron and have them texture the grip for a better handle. I'm also going to have them put on some XS Big Dot sights.

However, before I send it over, I thought I would run it past the group to see if there is anything else that should be done while they are working on it?

Thanks for the help!!!

See if you can get the whole new set of Tritium sites -- the rear as well, is now available with the Tritium bar.
Wynn

stevehome
02-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I personally wouldn't change the sights, it may change point of impact! Try the new mag with extra round with finger extension first. Hope it helps

Thanks for the help!!![/QUOTE]

jocko
02-16-2010, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the help!!!

Mike at accurate Iron does super work. You will either love the xs big dot sights or you will hate them. Most all love um but you have to realize what they are there for. They are a fast acquistion fighting type sight. Definitely not a target sight, but I have um on my PM9 ( installeed by accurate iron) and I love um. They are fast, they are 10 yards and under very accurate. Theyw will not change your sight picture. If you practice POA shooting with your kahr, that front sight will really be your best friend as that bugger are great sights.

Mike did my texturing on my PM9 also and did a super job, you mgiht ask him to do the variable texturing that he does for people who pocket carry. I will let him explain that to you. It is awesome and it does work to. I wolud have him contour your slide lock lever also. If you mags don't drop freely (which mine never did and never bothered me either) have him put a set of mag well cut outs on the grip. I never really like kahrs factory grip feel. It's OK, I just never liked it. I do like grip texturing. He did my P380 also for me.

tell him Bernie sent you. he is one hell of a smitty and oh yes honest also.

jocko
02-16-2010, 02:59 AM
It sounds like you want to modify your PM9 for shooting purpose, the PM9 was designed as self defense guns, and under stress all that will go out the window. Muscle memory will kick in that should take care the situation. I am not big fan of modifying the gun that I get only a few small modification that really does not alter the original design. Hey, but that is just me. If you like that then you should go for it. Some have indicated that the barrel should be re-crown as an additional features.:typing:

I would call putting on the xs big dot sights a modification to a defense gun. For most it makes it a better defense/fighting gun. Grip texturing is IMO not much more than some putting on these shooting sleeves for better grip feel. Again to me not a modification, but for most soemthig that gives tham a better feel of the gun. If one is comforatble with his weapon the way it came out of the box that is good, saves alot of extra money to . Some people like to tinker alittle. I once thought the xs sights was going to be a fad but I think they have really caught on in the defense world I just see more and more of them on guns anymore...I am waiting on that special front sight, that when I get on target it immediately blinks to tell me I am dead on target:typing::typing:

Vinikahr
02-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I would call putting on the xs big dot sights a modification to a defense gun. For most it makes it a better defense/fighting gun. Grip texturing is IMO not much more than some putting on these shooting sleeves for better grip feel. Again to me not a modification, but for most soemthig that gives tham a better feel of the gun. If one is comforatble with his weapon the way it came out of the box that is good, saves alot of extra money to . Some people like to tinker alittle. I once thought the xs sights was going to be a fad but I think they have really caught on in the defense world I just see more and more of them on guns anymore...I am waiting on that special front sight, that when I get on target it immediately blinks to tell me I am dead on target:typing::typing:

Oversize sights are good if they help your case(some people are sorry in shooting and or need glasses, no offense to anyone, since I may be in that boat in the future, but until then), but if you are good shot maybe you do not need them(for now I do not need them). At 15 yards I can be quite deadly.

Arizona T
02-16-2010, 07:23 AM
One word ROBAR !!! Google it!!

Vinikahr
02-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Strong Words!

wyntrout
02-16-2010, 08:36 AM

Hey! It already has the super-hard DLC finish!
Wynn

LDM
02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I recommend you try A-Grip.
I installed it on my PM9 and really liked it. (Liked it so much, I also put it on my Sig 220) My PM9 grip is more secure and comfortable; shooting is less fatiguing.
I had seen A-Grip advertised for years and thought it kinda gimicky. It is an applique die-cut for different weapons, It is different than anything I had previously encountered. The texture is almost like a microsuede felt. Sounds funny I know, but it really works.
Costs maybe $24 +/-. I'd certainly try it first before having my weapon permanently modified.
Stay safe.

DMR
02-21-2010, 04:02 PM
When I was first shoping for a small pistol I had purchased a P-9. Ten years later it is still my primary. that said a few years ago I picked up a used PM-9 on a trade. I took it out a few times, but never realy liked it compared to my P-9. This fall I got the urge to to some custom work with Accuate Iron and decided to test the work on my PM-9 since I realy didn't care for it that much. I figured if I didn't like the work it was no loss for me.

I chose Mike at Accurate Iron based on a few reviews I have read online and the recommendation in particular of two hard core Kahr fans. I asked Mike to melt the slide and stipple the frame. Bowie had previously mounted XO big dot sights on it. One of the biggest advantages of using Mike at Accurate Iron is his fast turn around time compared to say Cylinder & Slide. He turned around my pistol in about 6 weeks.

Before the pics a comment on the PM line. They are realy small in many respects. That said I personaly found it the wrong size for some things. For pocket carry, i prefer my Colt Agent. The rear of the slide hangs on pants pockets for me, but I can get it out of a coat pocket. IWB I don't have enough grip to get a positive grip on my PM-9 so when I carry it I carry OWB. In the pictured Bulman holster I have a positive, consitant grip.

I took these pictures today knee deep in the snow, temp around 29

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p1.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p6.gif
Bulman holster
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p7.gif
Close up of the stippling
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p8.gif

Melted corners
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p10.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p4.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p2.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/pm9p3.gif

jocko
02-21-2010, 04:07 PM
just haven't seen to many guns of any brand be it wheel gun or semi's that are fast draw out of ones pocket. Alot also depends on the cloths, tighter the fit, the harder the draw. Mike did a super nice job on ur Kahr. His work is awesome, reasonable and top quality..