PDA

View Full Version : Legislation to eliminate special health care for Congressmen

TheTman
04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
I apologise, this has little to do with gun ownership, but I think it's something we've all been wanting to see for a long time. I don't think it's very political as this is probably something we would all like to see.

Fleming Reintroduces H.Res 615

Three years ago we stood together in the midst of the health care debate to send a message to Washington: Congress must live with the laws it creates. Members who were writing the health care law were trying to exempt themselves from all of its requirements, so I drafted House Resolution 615 to say that any health care law should also apply to Congress. You joined me in that fight and your voice was heard. They did not succeed in their attempts at self-exemption.

The Supreme Court recently heard the challenges to the health care law’s constitutionality, and I’m hopeful that it will be overturned. And, that’s why I’ve reintroduced H.Res 615 in the 112th Congress. If lawmakers are able to put forth new health care proposals this principle must be preserved: no special treatment for Members of Congress. Health care reform that is created for the American people must apply equally to Representatives and Senators. Congress must lead by example.
Thank you for your past interest in H.Res 615 and I will keep you updated on this legislation as we await the Supreme Court’s ruling.

Sincerely,

JOHN FLEMING, M.D.
Member of Congress

P.S. If you’d like more information, please take a minute to visit my website at www.fleming.house.gov (wlmailhtml:{4A28566B-8035-4A61-88F9-2ACBE680D630}mid://00000055/!x-usc:http://fleming.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=244606-12693767)or follow me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/repjohnfleming (wlmailhtml:{4A28566B-8035-4A61-88F9-2ACBE680D630}mid://00000055/!x-usc:http://fleming.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=244607-12693767) or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/repfleming (wlmailhtml:{4A28566B-8035-4A61-88F9-2ACBE680D630}mid://00000055/!x-usc:http://fleming.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=244608-12693767)
(wlmailhtml:{4A28566B-8035-4A61-88F9-2ACBE680D630}mid://00000055/!x-usc:http://fleming.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=244609-12693767)

sharpetop
04-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Great post and I agree 100% with DR. Fleming.

Once this is fixed, on to pensions and retirement benefits.

Longitude Zero
04-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Symbolic gesture is all it is. It won't happen.

AJBert
04-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Symbolic gesture is all it is. It won't happen.
Unfortunately, I think you a right in the X ring.

As I think of most politicians, and this individual is one, I think of it more of pandering to voters when reelection comes along and he stands up and says, "Well, take a look at what I tried to correct!"

Meanwhile, he will be behind doors with his fellow politicos with them saying, "We allowed you to this, now it is your turn to do that."

Yep, I'm a bit of a cynic.

Dmitri
04-29-2012, 06:17 AM
There's one other Congressman, also an MD, who doesn't just talk about these things (by introducing legislation), but who actually DOES something about it, and has done so from the beginning of his service in Congress 36 years ago:

http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=999&Itemid=28

This is one reason why so many politicians stay in Washington so long: they get a better retirement plan from the government than they could ever get from an honest job back home. We need to cut perks like this pension system completely; it is immoral that someone spend so much time in Congress that they even should think about getting retirement benefits.

It's the little things like this that you won't hear about in the news, that show the man's true character IMO. :cool:

muggsy
04-29-2012, 07:00 AM
Ron Paul has initiated or cosponsored 640 pieces of legislation. Only one piece of legislation introduced by Ron Paul has ever become law. He is the Dennis Kucinich of the Republican Party. Paul may have good intentions, but he's very short on results. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ron-pauls-house-record-stands-out-for-its-futility-and-tenacity/2011/12/23/gIQA5ioVJP_story.html

Longitude Zero
04-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Meanwhile, he will be behind doors with his fellow politicos with them saying, "We allowed you to this, now it is your turn to do that."

And that is PRECISELY how it is done. Many politicians that are at each others throats in the public arena are actually very close friends out of the public eye.

For example on SCOTUS Scalia and Ginsberg are very close personal friends.

steve666
04-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Not a snowball's chance of passing. No way that they will eliminate one of their perks.

TheTman
04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I get an email every so often about a proposed admendment to the constitution that would eliminate the special pensions and medical benefits for congressmen, and make them participate in Social Security and all that. It talks about how giving 18 year olds the right to vote was accomplished in a short time due to the people demanding it.
How do we go about demanding that a new admendment be passed stripping congress of all it's special priveledges? I wrote my congressman and he said in effect no way he is introducing that legislation.

Dmitri
04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Ron Paul has initiated or cosponsored 640 pieces of legislation. Only one piece of legislation introduced by Ron Paul has ever become law. He is the Dennis Kucinich of the Republican Party. Paul may have good intentions, but he's very short on results. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ron-pauls-house-record-stands-out-for-its-futility-and-tenacity/2011/12/23/gIQA5ioVJP_story.html

True, but WHY little results is very important too IMO. Like Tom wrote above, "I wrote my congressman and he said in effect no way he is introducing that legislation." I think that is exactly the reason why so many of Paul's proposed bills never go anywhere. He's "ineffective" because almost everyone else is, basically, not as decent or strong of a person/character, IMO. But at least he actually walks the talk himself, i.e. he is personally not accepting his own pension. He IS already doing that; been doing that for years/from the beginning of his term. That's worth a lot in my book... So personally I'd rather vote for a guy who is doing the right thing himself and trying to propose that others join him in doing the right thing, than a guy who is doing what everyone else is doing (i.e. usually NOT the right thing) but talking the good talk, saying all the right things. Your or others' mileage may vary of course... it's all good; but that's just how I see it.

On the other hand, he must have had at least some level of effectiveness as the Texas representative, having been consistently re-elected into Congress from that state for decades... ;)

muggsy
04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
True, but WHY little results is very important too IMO. Like Tom wrote above, "I wrote my congressman and he said in effect no way he is introducing that legislation." I think that is exactly the reason why so many of Paul's proposed bills never go anywhere. He's "ineffective" because almost everyone else is, basically, not as decent or strong of a person/character, IMO. But at least he actually walks the talk himself, i.e. he is personally not accepting his own pension. He IS already doing that; been doing that for years/from the beginning of his term. That's worth a lot in my book... So personally I'd rather vote for a guy who is doing the right thing himself and trying to propose that others join him in doing the right thing, than a guy who is doing what everyone else is doing (i.e. usually NOT the right thing) but talking the good talk, saying all the right things. Your or others' mileage may vary of course... it's all good; but that's just how I see it.

On the other hand, he must have had at least some level of effectiveness as the Texas representative, having been consistently re-elected into Congress from that state for decades... ;)

Dennis Kuchinich was elected to office for decades. As mayor of Cleveland he put the city into default. As a congressman he accomplished nothing. He was continually reelected for his promises to the weak minded. Ron Paul talks the talk, but he doesn't walk the walk. If platitudes are more important to you than results, keep voting for him. I want a representative who puts them in the X ring.

Dmitri
04-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Ron Paul talks the talk, but he doesn't walk the walk.
I thought I just clearly proved that he's just about the only one who does actually walk the walk, in at least one way (there are many other instances like that), but... oh well. I guess we'll just have to "agree to disagree" on that; I won't argue any further.
I ain't here to fight over political views/differences. :)
Peace...

jocko
04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
well he has no respect from his fellow colleges, are they all wrong??? Just sayin. I sometimes likewhat he is sayin but I think he is thewrong messenger,for everyone just seems to look past him.

For me I think it is now time for him to step aside also and get behind Romney, whether u like him or not he is gonna be our man, so why not climb on the band wagon early and end this kids stuff of staying in the "fight" Just sayin.

I think also his age is a real detrement..:blah: