PDA

View Full Version : 2nd 100 smooth as silk!

jkalantzis
02-16-2010, 03:00 PM
I finally made it back to the range yesterday with my Son and finished the break in period for my new PM9. I tell you what, like you guys and girls don't already know 100 more rounds of pure perfection. I had my little, I mean young man with me and he enjoyed every minute of it. He has a Marlin 22lr and goes to the range with me quite often. He has watched me shoot my Glock 17 over and over and has never expressed much interest, he loves his rifle. However when he saw the PM9 his little eyes lit up like the sun. He wants to know how old he has to be before Daddy will consider letting him have one. Unfortunately he is only 8 and 1/2.:eek:

jfrey
02-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd make him wait until he is at least 8 3/4 before you let him shoot yours. Seriously, the earlier you start them, the better they listen and don't get that male macho attitude. Of course that would also include a big dose of parental supervision for a while.

mr surveyor
02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
load him one round at a time, until he gets tired of shooting... I bet he will out last the "loader":)

Closely supervised, he's not too young to give it a try.... but I still suggest only one round in the gun per try.

surv

ripley16
02-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Unfortunately he is only 8 and 1/2.

Sounds like a great reason to get a more appropriate pistol and begin the love affair with shooting your son may develope. The recoil of a PM9 may be a bit much for a young guy, but a Buckmark or Ruger may "light the fire", and be much easier to handle.

I started shooting at about that age with a boring, (but fun), Ithica model 49. My interest really peaked though when I first put a pistol in my hands a few years later. Ahhhhhh. :D

In-Yo-Grill
02-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Sounds like a great reason to get a more appropriate pistol and begin the love affair with shooting your son may develope. The recoil of a PM9 may be a bit much for a young guy, but a Buckmark or Ruger may "light the fire", and be much easier to handle.

I started shooting at about that age with a boring, (but fun), Ithica model 49. My interest really peaked though when I first put a pistol in my hands a few years later. Ahhhhhh. :D

Couldn't agree more. I got my kids a Ruger 22/45 and a Browning Buckmark at a young age and now they love shooting. My 14yr old son will venture into the larger calibers but my older daughter just likes to plink away with the .22lr

getsome
02-17-2010, 07:25 AM
I started all my kids on a Ruger .22 single six loading one at a time until they got the hang of it....Its has a small grip and is heavy enough so there is no recoil at all....Next up was a S&W 4' 686 shooting light .38 target loads...They learned how to use the sights and all became good safe shooters....Now they want me to buy them their own guns....I have a 14 year old son that shoots my pants off every time...He took to a 1911 .45 and loves it....He also shoots the 629 .44mag and the .45 single action all much better than I can....He is only about 5'5" and 100 lb and people at the range can't believe such a little kid can shoot that good...The range master just shakes his head and says, Its those young eyes!!!....Oh well.........

jkalantzis
02-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I think you guys are right I need to get him a pistol. Something in a 22 caliber. Thanks again KT.

Dietrich
02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
My grandfather started me out at about the same age with a .22 single shot rifle and a 20 gauge shotgun.He was a stickler for safety and a wonderful teacher.I envy you for the memories that you and your son are making.

Copper&Black
02-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Start him now...
This is one of my fav. videos of a kid younger then 8 I think on a course.

YouTube - Little Kid at a Shooting Range (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC6SYfmIfe4)

jkalantzis
02-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Start him now...
This is one of my fav. videos of a kid younger then 8 I think on a course.

YouTube - Little Kid at a Shooting Range (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC6SYfmIfe4)

absolutely love this video can't wait until thats my boy and I.:D