PDA

View Full Version : New Member - PM45 failure to feed

astrorat
02-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Hi folks

I am a new member and have been lurking for a short while. A few months back I purchased a PM9 and have really enjoyed it and it has performed perfectly. When I saw the PM45, I knew I had to get one as I like the caliber in such a compact size.

My experience with the PM45 has been less positive. First, on the good side, I really like the pistol, it is comfortable, recoil is surprisingly light for such a small frame, and it is very accurate (more accurate than me! LOL!).

I have now shot about 500-600 rounds through it. During the break-in period it would occasionally fail to feed a round and occasionally fail to eject ("stovepipe") a spent case. Over the last 100-150 rounds, it has been failing to feed a round once every 5-10 rounds (1-2 magazines).

The failure will manifest as the slide going back an locking as if the magazine was empty, but there would be one or more rounds remaining in the magazine.

The other way the failure to feed would appear is with a live round jammed at an angle as if it were going up the feed ramp.

As you might imagine, this is very frustrating as when the pistol works...it's just grand!

I have sent Kahr service an email asking for their help.

Has anybody else had a similar experience and if so, any suggestions for a solution?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lane

mr surveyor
02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
it certainly sounds like magazine problems to me. It is a slight possibility that the magazine spring is 180 degrees reversed. This can cause the follower to tip down in the front resulting in a lot of grief. You might check the orientation of the spring in the magazine....at to top, the highest point of the spring should be towards the front of the follower. If that's not the problem, try to pick up or borrow another magazine and give it a try, before you get to intent upon sending the pistol back to the mothership. You may already know that "most" semi auto pistol problems can be traced to magazine glitches.

just my initial guess:)

surv

madwill
02-16-2010, 11:22 PM
sounds like a weak recoil/ slide stop spring. send it back to kahr with a detailed explanation. that's what i did with mine. .

Price
02-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Havent had the same specific problem but have had stellar service from Kahr, no matter the issue Im sure it will be solved quickly.

astrorat
02-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the ideas on where to start.

The failures have occurred with the two magazines that came with the PM45. I have a couple of new magazine that I can try.

Last week I ordered a replacement spring set from Kahr as a "just in case" for the future. I'll see what Kahr has to say about the possibility of a weak recoil spring.

Thanks, again.

Lane

astrorat
02-16-2010, 11:54 PM
I disassembled one of the magazines I was using during the failures to feed and the spring was inserted correctly. There does seem to be a bit of play at the front of the follower. When the rounds are inserted, the round at the top has some movement at the tip (bullet) at the front of the follower.

I recall seeing a video about similar movement with the PM9 magazines (which I have with my PM9, but I have not had any feed failures).

Lane

Tackleberry
02-17-2010, 12:21 AM
On your failure to feed problem, have you tried different brands/loads? I also have a PM9 which runs perfectly. Don't own a PM45 but do own 3 other .45 ACP's, 2 1911's and 1 XD and despite the reputation, many .45 are sensitive to different loads. I'd experiment with lighter and heavier bullet weights in whatever JHP you plan to carry. Find the grain that functions 100%, then test 3 or 4 brands to find the one that groups the best at point of aim.

On the locking open w/ammo still in the mag, pay close attention that your weak thumb is not engaging the slide stop during recoil. It's easy to do with Kahrs because the slide stops are quite large and easier to do without noticing your doing it.

jocko
02-17-2010, 01:56 AM
the slide lockingopen prematurely canonly be caused by a couple of things.

#1. Your thumb is accidently hitting the slide lock lever while shooting. try shooting it left handed to see if that still persists.

#2. Your rounds are hittinginside on the slide lock lever causing slide lock. Easy to check to. take slide off, reinsert slide lock lever and insert a loaded magazine. See if that top rounds wnats to move that slide lock lever upward any. It shoud not toucht he slide lock lever at all. This will also cause FTF to. If this is happening callkahr and hav ethem send you a new slide lock lever.

Process of elimination.

getsome
02-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi astrorat, Welcome to Kahrtalk....Lots of good folks and info here... So far all replies could be part of the problem...If you can find a copy of the latest Combat Handguns magazine, they do a test on both the p380 and the pm45...The p380 never missed a beat but the pm45 started having the same issues as you describe....The writer found that the more he shot the worse the problem of FTF became...He had someone else shoot it and no more problems....The issue seemed to be hand fatigue from recoil...He also found that due to having large hands and shooting such a small gun that during recoil his little finger was pushing down on the magazine baseplate causing most of the FTF problems....perhaps a flat baseplate with no finger rest might work better on the higher caliber pistols or experiment with different grips or try shooting gloves...You really have to have a tight grip and a locked wrist to give that short slide something to push against to get that big ol .45 round to chamber....If all else fails, send her back to Kahr and they will make it right for you....One last thing...the deal you describe with the top round tip wanting to move down is normal and how they designed the magazine to work....Try this trick others have found to help....Load up a full magazine and give the back side a good whack to seat the rounds all the way back and be sure that top round is pushed all the way back and pointed up as it should be...hope this helps....Good luck with it....

astrorat
02-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome and all the great suggestions...now I just need to get back out to the range to try them. I'll need to take a checklist!

I'll keep an eye out for the right thumb hitting the slide lock lever. As mentioned, I have not noticed this, but will shoot it left-handed to see if there is a FTF.

I'll look at the feeding withe slide lock lever.

I had thought of the little finger pressing on the finger rest of the magazine. I tried firing with the little finger not on the rest, but got a FTF. That may have been due to a weak grip, however.

I don't think hand fatigue was the issue as the FTF was occurring after shooting about 10 rounds. Now, it may have been a weak grip, but I don't recall that specifically.

I have tried different brands of ammo, but mostly have been shooting Winchester 230 gr FMJ (white box) and some Remington UMC (from Walmart). The FTF has happened with both. Although I have not put many of the Hydra-Shok (230 gr, if I recall), they did not have any FTF.

Yep...it's a process of elimination. I just need to learn much more about the mechanics of the pistol so I can use the logic that comes so easily to you seasoned shooters.

Thanks again...this is a great education.

Lane

getsome
02-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Your very welcome....Listen to old jocko as he is very knowledgeable and will give you the straight stuff....A couple things I thought of after my post is that Wolfe has a higher rated recoil spring available you could try, I think it's a 22 lb rate if I remember correctly...Also the PM45 seems to function better with higher power loads and sometimes will act up with target ammo...Gold Dot 230 grain is a good one for carry.... Pay attention to the lube chart in the Kahrtech forum and be sure you hit all the spots shown...DO NOT put any oil in the striker/firing pin hole....These guns seem to run better a little wet until really broken in....Last thing is when you clean it next put a good polish job on that feed ramp with some metal polish like flitz and make it as smooth as possible...may not help but cant hurt anything.....

astrorat
02-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I got a message this morning from Kahr service. They recommend sending the pistol to them for evaluation. I hope this is covered under warranty!

Lane

astrorat
02-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks, getsome. I found the lube chart and followed it faithfully for the last cleaning. Great info!

While I am waiting to hear from Kahr, I'll look into the Wolfe spring and how to polish the feed ramp.

Lane

getsome
02-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes any problems will be covered by Kahr...If you call them at 508-795-3919 and ask to speak to Ian, tell him about the problems and if you ask real nice they will send you a pre-paid fedex package so you dont have to pay to ship it....As for the feed ramp polish...some have used a dremel tool and a soft polishing bit to do it but I don't have a dremel so I first took some 1200 grit super fine wet/dry sand paper and gently polished it by hand, then followed up with a soft cloth and metal polish...looks like a mirror now....You don't want to remove any metal just slick and shine it up....:cool:

astrorat
02-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks. The email I received from Kahr service was from Ian. Perhaps I should call him then to ask about a pre-paid FedEx box.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Lane

Frankhenrylee
02-23-2010, 07:08 AM
I've wondered if the failure to feed on PM45's could be the larger size of the 230gr. bullets? I've been wanting to get one, but they still seem to have a bug or two. You might try smaller bullets or maybe some of the new Federal EFMJ's.

astrorat
02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Interesting thought about using a smaller bullet. I have only tried 230 gr from various manufacturers.

The PM45 is on its way back to Kahr. Ian was great in helping with the process...including having the Kahr pay for the FedEx shipping.

Now I just need to wait until it returns. Until then, I'll just need to have fun with my PM9!

Lane

10Kahrs
02-28-2010, 02:54 PM
IMHO the PM45 is the most problematic of all the Kahrs because of such a small frame for the platform my first PM45 had to back to kahr 2x before they got it right. It was flawless after kahr sent it back the 2nd time. Its worth a little work to have one of the smallest best concealable 45 out there you just have to work the bugs out sometimes also if you send it back ask them to replace the mag catch release (if its the old style) they can be a problem too if you have the old style I found the remington GS 185gr to work real good for the PM45 and I have tired alot of brands. The 200gr gold dots also good luck

astrorat
02-28-2010, 02:57 PM
IMHO the PM45 is the most problematic of all the Kahrs because of such a small frame for the platform my first PM45 had to back to kahr 2x before they got it right. It was flawless after kahr sent it back the 2nd time. Its worth a little work to have one of the smallest best concealable 45 out there you just have to work the bugs out sometimes also if you send it back ask them to replace the mag catch release (if its the old style) they can be a problem too if you have the old style I found the remington GS 185gr to work real good for the PM45 and I have tired alot of brands. The 200gr gold dots also good luck

What's the difference between the old style and the new style mag catch release?

Lane

jocko
02-28-2010, 03:26 PM
the old style was a polymer mag catch, I was under the impression the PM45 never came out with the polymer mag catch as they were all metal by that time. Did your PM45 have a polymer mag catch 5 khars????

astrorat
02-28-2010, 09:52 PM
the old style was a polymer mag catch, I was under the impression the PM45 never came out with the polymer mag catch as they were all metal by that time. Did your PM45 have a polymer mag catch 5 khars????

I don't recall. I think it was polymer, like my PM9. But I don't know for sure.

Lane

10Kahrs
03-01-2010, 07:23 AM
No the original mag release was metal and I was dropping mags I ordered a new mag release from kahr on my dime and removed the old one and compared it to the new one the new mag release had a slightly larger lip which cured the problem I had taken photo's comparing the two and you could tell from the photo's the difference between the two. I should have kept the photo's.

astrorat
03-06-2010, 11:14 AM
I now have the PM45 back from Kahr.

I sent it out last Saturday and they received it on Monday. They send it FedEx to me for Friday delivery and I picked it up today, Saturday.

That's a fast turnaround considering Ian estimated up to 2 weeks!

The work done according to the technical service sheet was:

1. Replaced recoil spring assembly
2. Replaced slide stop
3. Polished barrel
4. Lubed
5. Tested

It's off to the range later today. I'll report what happens.

Lane

astrorat
03-07-2010, 06:00 AM
The PM45 worked like a champ. 100 rounds of Winchester 230 gr FMJ with out a problem.

Thanks, Kahr!

Lane

rseseducation
03-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Kahr likes Golden Sabers

kramm
03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Hello all,
I'm a new member to the site.
I bought a pm 4544n on Feb. 4-10. My first outing to the range was great. I put 150 rounds through it with no problems. It was cold and my fingers were gettingnumb, so I called it a day.
My next trip to the range wastuesday last week. Since I had taken wwb ammo on my first trip I decided to take some Fed.&Rem. this trip. All were 230gr. fmj.
This trip was not so good. The first issue was that it did not pick-up the first round from the magazine. I had the slide locked open and used the slide release. The second issue was that the slide relaes lever would move outward and lock the slide open after a couple of rounds were fired. The third issue I had was the round would jam into the top of the barrel.
I took it home and cleaned it, I also checked the mag. springs as I had taken them apart and cleaned them after my first trip to the range.
I found some flashing around the hole for the slide release and removed that. All else looked OK to me. Took it back to the range the next day. The mag. release didn't lock the slide open when fired. But the other two issues remained.
I E-Mailed Kahr, their reply was to read the owners manuel. Ihad already read it.
It is on it's was back to them.

Vinikahr
03-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Hello all,
I'm a new member to the site.
I bought a pm 4544n on Feb. 4-10. My first outing to the range was great. I put 150 rounds through it with no problems. It was cold and my fingers were gettingnumb, so I called it a day.
My next trip to the range wastuesday last week. Since I had taken wwb ammo on my first trip I decided to take some Fed.&Rem. this trip. All were 230gr. fmj.
This trip was not so good. The first issue was that it did not pick-up the first round from the magazine. I had the slide locked open and used the slide release. The second issue was that the slide relaes lever would move outward and lock the slide open after a couple of rounds were fired. The third issue I had was the round would jam into the top of the barrel.
I took it home and cleaned it, I also checked the mag. springs as I had taken them apart and cleaned them after my first trip to the range.
I found some flashing around the hole for the slide release and removed that. All else looked OK to me. Took it back to the range the next day. The mag. release didn't lock the slide open when fired. But the other two issues remained.
I E-Mailed Kahr, their reply was to read the owners manuel. Ihad already read it.
It is on it's was back to them.

Welcome to the board.
Some have indicated to read the manual at least twice.
Bummer for your troubles, Kahr stands behind their products.

Vinikahr
03-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Kahr likes Golden Sabers
Yes they do.:hungry:

kramm
03-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the board.
Some have indicated to read the manual at least twice.
Bummer for your troubles, Kahr stands behind their products.

Thanks for the welcome. I have heard nothing but good things about Kahr service. I really like the pm45, I do hope they can get it going.
I'll try some golden saber . __________________

hsart
03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I am starting to think that most PM45 problems like these may be solved by:
1. loading first round with slide lock lever, and
2. making sure there is no limp wristing.

kramm
03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I have to agree with you on both points. I was using the lever and I was takeing care to make sure my grip was solid. I know that an auto has to have a solid hold on it for it to cycle right.

astrorat
03-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Back from the range again tonight. After the last time out with 100 WWB 230 gr FMJ and no problems, I expected the same this time around...but that was not the case.

After the last outing I cleaned the PM45 and lubed everything. Tonight at the range I shot 60 rounds of the same WWB with 3 failures to feed...or more accurately, the slide locked back after the second or third round had been fired.

I was loading the magazine with 5 rounds, chambering 1 round, replacing the round in the magazine, and then reinserting the magazine.

I shot another 20 rounds of Blazer aluminum 230 gr FMJ without issue.

I am heading to the range again tomorrow for another 100 rounds or so.

Any thoughts on what might be still causing the problem? At least the rounds were not getting stuck in the feed ramp! I am not sure what is going on and I would rather not have to send it back to Kahr again.

Regardless...I still really like this PM-45.

Anyone use a TP-45? I'm tempted to pick one up as a companion to the PM-45.

Lane

kramm
03-11-2010, 09:59 PM
My slide would lock open and I found that the slide release lever would move a fraction outward. When I pushed it back in the slide would work. I found some flash( burrs in the slide release hole) and cleaned it out. It stopped locking open after that.

astrorat
03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
My slide would lock open and I found that the slide release lever would move a fraction outward. When I pushed it back in the slide would work. I found some flash( burrs in the slide release hole) and cleaned it out. It stopped locking open after that.

Was the flash at the edges of the slide release hole or in the "tunnel" or center of the hole?

What did you use to clean it out?

Lane

jocko
03-12-2010, 07:11 AM
my guess with premature slide locking open could be two things. #1 your thumb might be accidently engaging the side lock lever. #2 the slide lock lever might be hitting the rounds inside and throwing them off course.

Easy way to check that is to take the slide off the gun and reinsert the slide lock lever. Now with a loaded magazine insert it and watch to see if the top bullet hits the inside of the slide lock lever, basically wanting to push the lever upward. If so call kahr and ask for IAN and tellhim what is goingon and they wll send you a new slide lock lever. No rounds should touch or engage the slide lock lever-PERIOD

That is IMO the only two things that can cause premature slide locking open. even with a weak side lock spring (that little springont he left side) it shouldnot premature lock open unless a round is pushing the lever upward from the inside. also when you hav ethe slide off and the slide lock lever inserted. give that lever alittle flip upward, it should immediately return downward, if not then indeed you have a bad slide lock spring. (but I just doubt that).

Watch your thumb when shooting, It is very common for a Right hand shooter to hit that slide lock lever and never even know he is doing it. Change your thumb position, but just be aware. You can troulbe shoot this issue by eliminating the possabilities....

I would think if something was wrong that it would do it all the time, which it is not..

kramm
03-12-2010, 07:21 AM
The flash was at the edge of the hole next to the slide release spring. I used a small screwdriver from a machined kit of stainless steel standard and philips, I used the smallest one and it took it right out. Looked like the release lever would not fully seat on the spring until I did that. I had no problems with it after that.

astrorat
03-12-2010, 08:55 PM
my guess with premature slide locking open could be two things. #1 your thumb might be accidently engaging the side lock lever. #2 the slide lock lever might be hitting the rounds inside and throwing them off course.

Easy way to check that is to take the slide off the gun and reinsert the slide lock lever. Now with a loaded magazine insert it and watch to see if the top bullet hits the inside of the slide lock lever, basically wanting to push the lever upward. If so call kahr and ask for IAN and tellhim what is goingon and they wll send you a new slide lock lever. No rounds should touch or engage the slide lock lever-PERIOD

That is IMO the only two things that can cause premature slide locking open. even with a weak side lock spring (that little springont he left side) it shouldnot premature lock open unless a round is pushing the lever upward from the inside. also when you hav ethe slide off and the slide lock lever inserted. give that lever alittle flip upward, it should immediately return downward, if not then indeed you have a bad slide lock spring. (but I just doubt that).

Watch your thumb when shooting, It is very common for a Right hand shooter to hit that slide lock lever and never even know he is doing it. Change your thumb position, but just be aware. You can troulbe shoot this issue by eliminating the possabilities....

I would think if something was wrong that it would do it all the time, which it is not..

Back from another trip to the range. I shot 80 WWB 230 gr FMJ again. This time I had the slide lock open 4 times. On all but one time, the slide locked open on the third round.

I verified that my thumb was not interfering with the slide stop.

I checked if a round in the magazine was hitting the slide stop and that was not the case.

I also verified that the spring on the slide stop working correctly.

Looks like I need to contact Kahr again. This is frustrating. This is a great little pistol and I really need to be confident that it will work when needed.

Lane

astrorat
03-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Talking with Ian, he believes it is a bent slide stop spring. Since the slide locking back occurred after I cleaned the pistol, I must have bent it during reassembly. I didn't think I was that rough with it!

The new spring is on its way from Kahr.

Lane

Bawanna
03-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Talking with Ian, he believes it is a bent slide stop spring. Since the slide locking back occurred after I cleaned the pistol, I must have bent it during reassembly. I didn't think I was that rough with it!

The new spring is on its way from Kahr.

Lane

Please keep us posted. Lots of eyes on these things right now and we really want good reports.

astrorat
03-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Okay...an update.

The new slide stop spring arrived from Kahr. I noticed when I compared the old spring to the new spring that there was a slightly different shape, so it does appear that the spring was bent.

However, I am continuing to have problems!

Here is what happened:

1. I replaced the slide lock spring as recommended. It does appear that the spring was very slightly bent.
2. I carefully replaced the spring and tightened the screw.
3. I went to the range on Saturday and shot about 70 rounds without a problem.
4. On Sunday, I went to the range and in the following 80 rounds or so, the slide locked open about 7 times.
5. I field stripped the pistol at the range and noticed that the spring was no longer tight and would move slightly if touched.
6. At home I went to snug the screw down again and now the threads appear to be stripped. I did not apply much torque at all so I do not know why the threads would strip (if that is what happened).

This is becoming very frustrating. I have send another email to Kahr to ask what I need to do to get the pistol to work reliably. Geez!

Lane

kramm
03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Astrorat sorry to hear of the problems. I missed if you said you bought it new or used. If new send it back. Call Kahr and let them know whats going on, get a RA # and have them set up for home pick up.
If you got it used you my want to check around for a good Gun Smith in your area. I've heard that the makers are pretty pricey on work.:(

DKD
03-29-2010, 08:11 AM
I had a few during my initial break in period, but as I proceeded they became less frequent especiacially after I past the 100 round mark. by the time I reached around 150 round all but one instance of FTE happened and I attributed it to my weaker grip on that stove pipe.
This weekend I ran another 80 rounds and here are the results:

30 rounds FMJ 230 grain FMJ Ball no problems. 25 more rounds of hand loaded 230 grain FM hand loaded with 6.2 gr of hercules Unique powder...no problems in fact they shot much better groups than the factory fodder. Now my 200 round break in was complete, so I ran another 10 rounds in two groups of five consisting of hand loaded 185 grain Golden Sabres HP over 8 grains of Unique powder....flawless with mild recoil and amazing 1" & 1 1/8" groups at seven yards all 10X yep one ragged hole.
lastly I had a broken box of old reloads of 200 grain Semi Wad Wad Cutters so I ran another 25 rounds down range. They too were loaded over 6.2 grains of Unique. Groups were acceptable and only one FTF...just had to bump the slide and it chambered and one FTE stove pipe which was on me in the last magazine due to poor loose grip, on a rather fast five rounds rapid fire string.

All in all a very satisfactory day and break in. Cast lead Wad Cutters are notorious for problem feeding in automatics so no real problem there as far as I am concerned. You do need to get a good strong grip and watch out not to touch the Slide stop with your off hand. As others previously stated you have to be sure that the mags are loaded correctly, last round tip up as well.
My PM45 initailly didn't like the 185 grain HP's as loaded using the slide stop method, however they did hand cycle perfectly and reloaded quite smoothly when under recoil...go figure....I guess the slide energy had somthing to do with that. Keep the piece well lubricated it does aid especially during the break in period. Hope this information helps.

astrorat
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Looks like the PM45 is going back to Kahr for the second time. I'll post when the pistol is returned and report on the fix.

kramm - I bought the pistol new.

Ian has been very helpful. hopefully the problems will get fixed.

Now...there is a nice little black slide PM45 for sale at a local store for just a shade over $700...very tempting. :)

Lane

kramm
03-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Astrorat, that not a bad price.:biggrin1: Doe's it have n/s? After I paid for shipping and dealer mark-up I gave 880.00 for mine. Had it in two days from Davidsons.:behindsofa:

astrorat
03-31-2010, 01:33 PM
kramm-

No, it just has the normal sights. Yep, it sounds like a good price. That is actually less than I paid for my silver-slide PM45.

Lane

Bawanna
03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
kramm-

No, it just has the normal sights. Yep, it sounds like a good price. That is actually less than I paid for my silver-slide PM45.

Lane

I say jump on it, or maybe we should vote? Tell the missus we said it was ok. We can always pound some XS sights on it later. Pictures when you pick it up. Congrats on the new gun.

astrorat
04-03-2010, 01:23 PM
I was excited to get to the range to give the black PM45 a try. I rented the pistol and shot about 40 rounds through it. Well...perhaps it's a break-in issue (as I am not sure how many rounds had been through it) or something more.

During the test I had 2 failures to feed and 1 slide lock back prematurely. Since I already have a PM45 that does that...I passed on this one...even at the great price.

I wish the PM45s were as reliable as my PM9...never an issue with feeding or anything else.

As an aside...I also shot a new Colt 1911 A1...wow...what a nice pistol.

My silver PM45 is in the capable hands of Kahr and hopefully the problem will be fixed and back to me soon.

Lane

Bawanna
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I was excited to get to the range to give the black PM45 a try. I rented the pistol and shot about 40 rounds through it. Well...perhaps it's a break-in issue (as I am not sure how many rounds had been through it) or something more.

During the test I had 2 failures to feed and 1 slide lock back prematurely. Since I already have a PM45 that does that...I passed on this one...even at the great price.

I wish the PM45s were as reliable as my PM9...never an issue with feeding or anything else.

As an aside...I also shot a new Colt 1911 A1...wow...what a nice pistol.

My silver PM45 is in the capable hands of Kahr and hopefully the problem will be fixed and back to me soon.

Lane

You just gotta love a nice 1911. If it says Colt on it, it's just that much better.

astrorat
04-10-2010, 06:08 AM
I received a voicemail from Kahr last week. Looks like they had to replace the receiver to fix the "stripped" spring retention screw threads.

Now I need to have it shipped to my FFL dealer. Since my dealer will charge me $30 for the transfer, does anybody know if that fee is something that Kahr will pick up? They have been kind enough to pay for the shipping for the repairs for the warranty work.

Lane

at_liberty
04-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I received a voicemail from Kahr last week. Looks like they had to replace the receiver to fix the "stripped" spring retention screw threads.

Now I need to have it shipped to my FFL dealer. Since my dealer will charge me $30 for the transfer, does anybody know if that fee is something that Kahr will pick up? They have been kind enough to pay for the shipping for the repairs for the warranty work.

Lane
When I returned a gun through a shop from whom I had purchased two other guns, I was not charged an FFL fee to get the gun back. If I had returned one of the guns I actually bought from that dealer, I would not expect to pay a fee. On a recent inquiry, I asked about that, and was told that no, there would be no fee, only shipping charges. Note that gun shipments are overnight at premium rates. Be ready for that so not unhappy about an expensive surprise. Ask ahead of time, making no assumptions. It just shouldn't be a big deal if returned through the source who sold you the gun. If they are handling someone else's gun, you should appreciate that charging the fee is fair and appropriate.

astrorat
04-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks. That makes sense. I just am not aware as to what is customary for firearms. Kahr has been GREAT about paying for shipping both ways for the two times the gun has had to be returned for repairs. The only hassle has been the inconvenience of packaging it up and sending it and, of course, being without that great little pistol!

Lane

astrorat
04-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Kahr sent back the pistol with a new receiver. Fortunately, my local club was kind enough not to charge for the FFL transfer.

It's out to the range today to see how it works.

Lane

In-Yo-Grill
04-18-2010, 07:16 AM
I hope it works out well for you today. Is that all they said they did this go around?

astrorat
04-18-2010, 02:16 PM
The technical Service Work Sheet states:

Action Taken:
REPLACED FRAME WITH NEW S/N xxxxxx. LUBED TEST FIRED GOOD.

Lane

astrorat
04-18-2010, 10:20 PM
I put 100 rounds through the "new" PM45. Three times in the first 50 or so rounds the slide locked open prematurely. No problems in the last 50 or rounds.

Could this be due to the "break in" of the new receiver?

Lane

Bawanna
04-18-2010, 11:48 PM
I put 100 rounds through the "new" PM45. Three times in the first 50 or so rounds the slide locked open prematurely. No problems in the last 50 or rounds.

Could this be due to the "break in" of the new receiver?

Lane

I would say no, your either hitting the slide lock lever with your thumb (quite common) or the slide lock spring is out of whack. There's a thread here somewhere on checking to make sure the rounds arent' hitting that spring. I'd say 3 in the first 50 and none after maybe it's gonna work itself out. Try shooting left handed or have someone else shoot it and confirm it's not your thumb thats out of spec.

jocko
04-19-2010, 05:11 AM
I think Bawanna hit it right. My bet your thumb was hitting the slide lock lever, very common, let another person shoot it, or indeed golefty and test out, or better yet be very very aware of where that thumb is, Ur not the first to have this happen. Very few things can cause the slide to lock open but the ol thumb trick is certainly one of them...

eliminate the "possables" and then u can tell if you have an issue. If you go to the kahr tech section and hit on thePROPER PREPPING OF YOUR NEW KAHR. It will give you some things to look for to. Kepe us posted but I do think you OK as Bawanna stated also. That man knows his sh-it, !! He doesnt know guns but he does know sh-it!!!!!

gearguy
04-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I had similar problems with my PM45. Sent it to Kahr, they turned it around. Back to the range. Same problem: FTF, FTE. Also, never had success with either the PM45 or my PM9 using the +1 configuration. I don't think they should sell these guns as +1 capacity.

wyntrout
04-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Gearguy, I guess you've looked to see if you have the notch and the gap/or beveled stripper. Either can give you problems like that. We've talked about and posted a lot of pictures covering those particular problems under Notch and or Gap... the bevel of the stripper.
Wynn

WinstonRomeo
04-22-2010, 06:25 AM
I had those issues as well and found that my PM45 does not like some brands of ammo: Win. XTP 230 grain hp for one, but the rest of the times it was my grip. This great little gun likes a firm grip all the time. That will not be a problem in a deadly force encounter, but on the range with extended shooting sessions it can be. Mine shoots better than I can hold it as well, but I am a bit more accurate with it than my P45.

DKD
04-26-2010, 01:07 PM
I have firmed my new PM45 several times and now passed the 300 rounds count. No problems to feed or extract in the past 150 rounds.
Now comes the puzzling occurance....with FMJ range ammo this weekend the gun would not chamber when loading with the preffered method, using the slide stop....just hangs up on the bottom of the feed ramp. It doesn't do it when I rack manually or when the gun is firing live ammo.
Could it just be the magazines? The feed ramp is mirror bright. Very strange, not hat it barthers me I prefer to hand rack the slide.

kramm
04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Check to make sure the rounds are pushed all the way back in the mag. I tap my mags. in the palm of my hand to make sure all rounds are to the back. I learned that little trick from this site, can't say who from I've read too many posts to remember who said it.:biggrin1:

wyntrout
04-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Did this just start and the ammo is something that you haven't been shooting?

Lock the slide back and slowly insert a FULL magazine, watching to see if the nose of the top round touches the slide lock on the left. Another thing to watch for, is whether the "stripper" part of the slide is sitting behind the cartridge. Mine had this problem from the first magazine loaded, but I didn't know what to look for. The "stripper" was resting on top of the cartridge base/rim, so that when the slide was released, the stripper rode over the cartridge, resulting in an empty chamber or the slide stuck halfway there.
The fix for that was beveling that lower front part of the "stripper" so that it pushed the cartridge AND the magazine forward and wound up behind the cartridge.
I wouldn't think that you have this problem since you didn't initially have any problem.
The work around for that was hand racking all the way to the rear which got the stripper behind the cartridge.
You could check the feed ramp for burrs and polish it some more... can't hurt. And check that the "stripper" is beveled... or beveled enough.
Good luck and good shooting.
Wynn:D

astrorat
05-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Now it's been a few times to the range and about 250 rounds through the recently-returned PM45.

There were 3 or 4 times that the slide locked back unexpectedly. But I think I figured out the reason. I think Bawanna and jocko got it right.

Once or twice it locked back when I was just being lazy with the grip and not paying attention (late in a session). Another time it locked back, but I am not sure why it happened, but likely due to a bad grip.

One additional time I rested my thumb NEAR the slide lock release as I wanted to see if I could make it happen. Sure enough it happened.

A simple change in thumb position and the pistol runs like a champ.

Now I'll clean it and try not to bend the spring! :tongue:

Thanks for everyone's help.

Now to look for a good holster. Any suggestions on an outside the belt holster for a PM45?

Lane

hsart
05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Now it's been a few times to the range and about 250 rounds through the recently-returned PM45.

There were 3 or 4 times that the slide locked back unexpectedly. But I think I figured out the reason. I think Bawanna and jocko got it right.

Once or twice it locked back when I was just being lazy with the grip and not paying attention (late in a session). Another time it locked back, but I am not sure why it happened, but likely due to a bad grip.

One additional time I rested my thumb NEAR the slide lock release as I wanted to see if I could make it happen. Sure enough it happened.

A simple change in thumb position and the pistol runs like a champ.

Now I'll clean it and try not to bend the spring! :tongue:

Thanks for everyone's help.

Now to look for a good holster. Any suggestions on an outside the belt holster for a PM45?

Lane
I have had the same issues with my PM45 which I also attribute to user error. I use a Mitch Rosen belt slide purchased from kahrshop. The setup works very well for all day carry.