PDA

View Full Version : 1911 shopping help

Deano
05-04-2012, 01:12 AM
I've got the itch for a 1911. In my search for what would be my first 1911, I've made a couple of observations.
1) Models by Colt, SA, Ruger, S&W are impossible to find. When searching I've found the annoying "Out of Stock" at every web site.
2) I went to the gun show this past weekend and handled a few used ones, and observed that they generally felt uncomfortably large in my small hands. My thumb was not long enough to reach the slide release lever on any of them.

As an example, my CW45 feels perfect in my hand. My Glock 19 gen 3 grip feels large to me, although I still shoot it pretty accurately. So I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on one that you can currently find "In stock" that would be a good pistol for someone with pretty small hands. I do not plan to carry, but do plan to use around the house for self defense, and for putting holes in targets that have been bad.

Dirt doc
05-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Check out Bud's for a springfield EMP. The grip on the EMP is smaller than standard 1911's. Otherwise the grip size (other than length of grip between standard and officers models) will not change much between brands. However, to my knowledge EMP's only come in 9mm or 40 S&W.

muggsy
05-04-2012, 05:49 AM
For people with small hands the short trigger is preferable to the long trigger. This video will help you with the mag release.

http://www.youtube.com/user/flicksguns#p/u/7/uUaEVFM6eMA

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 09:07 AM
I can't manipulate the mag release or slide stop without a grip change or use of the weak hand. Doesn't bother me. I have small hands but I still much prefer the long trigger over the short.

Slim grips do make a huge difference in the feel of the gun in hand. I still usually use standard thickness but I may whittle me out another set of slims for myself.

There's lots of 1911 choices out there, more than ever it seems. Have fun in your hunt, take your time and get what you really want, don't settle for less.

Tinman507
05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread (like that never happens) why is it we don't see much discussion about the AO (Kahr) 1911's?

Where are they on the 1911 spectrum? they seem reasonably priced and they're built by Kahr so customer service is a known entitiy.

Anyone have experience with them?

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Not first hand but my reliable sources say they are high on the quality food chain certainly of those in the under 800-1000 price range. Very well put together and very accurate.

I think they are still getting over the history from the old AO days.

Your right that the customer service is there and that's worth a lot but I doubt they are needed much.

I've got one on my radar sometime in the future.

I believe they are all series 80 designs now which isn't a horrible thing but many still prefer the 70 series. Doubtful the average shooter would even notice or care.

Tinman507
05-04-2012, 09:24 AM
I am still lusting after a Ruger SR1911, but the AO 1911A1 is really sexy in a minimalist kind of way. Just basic GI with no frills or doo dads. It speaks to me.

Deano
05-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Check out Bud's for a springfield EMP. The grip on the EMP is smaller than standard 1911's. Otherwise the grip size (other than length of grip between standard and officers models) will not change much between brands. However, to my knowledge EMP's only come in 9mm or 40 S&W.Thanks for the suggestion. Pretty sure I want to stick with 45.

For people with small hands the short trigger is preferable to the long trigger. This video will help you with the mag release.

http://www.youtube.com/user/flicksguns#p/u/7/uUaEVFM6eMAThanks for the vid. Short Trigger? Can you elaborate? Is that an option when you purchase a 1911, or something you change out after you get one?

I can't manipulate the mag release or slide stop without a grip change or use of the weak hand. Doesn't bother me. I have small hands but I still much prefer the long trigger over the short.

Slim grips do make a huge difference in the feel of the gun in hand. I still usually use standard thickness but I may whittle me out another set of slims for myself.

There's lots of 1911 choices out there, more than ever it seems. Have fun in your hunt, take your time and get what you really want, don't settle for less.Do you find a difference in the feel of different 1911 models in your hand. Is there one you particularly like?

At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread (like that never happens) why is it we don't see much discussion about the AO (Kahr) 1911's?

Where are they on the 1911 spectrum? they seem reasonably priced and they're built by Kahr so customer service is a known entitiy.

Anyone have experience with them?
Yes, AO and MR DE, both owned by Kahr. I've read good things about the Desert Eagle. Don't see much on the AO. Why is that? Also wondering about the Sig?? No MIM parts except the slide release lever, right? No one really talks much about them. Looks like a very nice pistol.

Also 5" vs. 4.2"?? Preferences. Is the 5" significantly more accurate?

TheTman
05-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I don't think the 4.2" barrel vs the 5" barrel affects accuracy as much as it does bullet velocity. A friend just ordered an STI Spartan 5 for around $600. They are supposed to be one of the better 1911's in that price range. Has the fiber optic front sight. There so many good 1911's out there it's hard to choose. Heck, I'd go for a Rock Island Armory for $400 if I didn't have a couple 1911's already. Our Mod. Greg seems happy with his in 9mm.

ruf45
05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
The RIA seems like a decent gun at a good price. I would go for the one with a beavertail grip , its a lot easier on the hand

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Pretty sure I want to stick with 45.

Thanks for the vid. Short Trigger? Can you elaborate? Is that an option when you purchase a 1911, or something you change out after you get one?

Do you find a difference in the feel of different 1911 models in your hand. Is there one you particularly like?

Yes, AO and MR DE, both owned by Kahr. I've read good things about the Desert Eagle. Don't see much on the AO. Why is that? Also wondering about the Sig?? No MIM parts except the slide release lever, right? No one really talks much about them. Looks like a very nice pistol.

Also 5" vs. 4.2"?? Preferences. Is the 5" significantly more accurate?

I have the MRI 1911G, the full size and it's a keeper. Very accurate, very nice gun. I went to the shorter 1911's and then found myself going back to full size, I just shoot them better. I mostly carry my Cbob 4 1/2".
Most all the 1911's are going to feel the same in hand pretty much.

The short trigger referred to is relatively easily changed if needed. Most of the GI basic 1911's have the short. It's just how much of the trigger is exposed in the trigger guard. The short trigger is nearly up against the rear of the guard when pulled. I much prefer the long but if you want to stay GI looking, the short works just fine too.

Tinman507
05-04-2012, 10:46 AM
I much prefer the long but if you want to stay GI looking, the short works just fine too.

I'm all about keeping it GI looking.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/zippy357/girls%20guns/kb-02-CSaGaG_3_1.jpg

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Must be one of them Smart Carry rigs. Never seen one before. Looks like it has potential.

Deano
05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Tinman, I swear I almost pissed my pants.

Bawana, thanks for all your input. You've been extremely helpful. How do I give you rep points?

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't know what a rep point is.......if it's a good thing maybe just tell the boss not to fire me?

Did you see the Fathers Day 1911G thread. Another fine endorsement for the MRI.

HenryinFlorida
05-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I am still lusting after a Ruger SR1911, but the AO 1911A1 is really sexy in a minimalist kind of way. Just basic GI with no frills or doo dads. It speaks to me.

I also wanted a Ruger SR1911, but they were impossible to find. I setteled on an American Classic II by Metroarms, sold by Bersa. It's one of the Philippine factories, but let me tell you, for $442 from Buds. It's a great gun. It has shot perfectly with over 200 rounds of a mixture of FMJ and HP defensive rounds. It has turned out to be a great purchase.

gb6491
05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
FWIW, The Marksman air pistol used in that photo has been around in one form or another since the 1950s. It seems even toy 1911s are long lived:)
Regards,
Greg

Tinman507
05-04-2012, 12:15 PM
1950's? She doesn't look that old :eek:

Deano
05-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't know what a rep point is.......if it's a good thing maybe just tell the boss not to fire me?

Did you see the Fathers Day 1911G thread. Another fine endorsement for the MRI.
Rep points are kinda like message board currency, but different. If you have none, you wish you had it, but can't get it, unless of course someone gives you some, or you earn it. Once you have it, you don't need it so much, people envy you, and no one wants to give you more. You can only give it if you have it, but don't have to have it to receive it. If you don't have any, no one cares, cause you can't give them any. KNOWHUTIMEAN?

Tinman507
05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
You mean it's like forum sex? :eek:

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Ummm, sounds like I'm being recruited to be a democrat or maybe a communist.

I don't have any but if I did it wouldn't matter but nobody likes me cause I don't have any but they'd envy me if I had some but I should give it away unless I don't have any then I can't.

Man I should get in politics, I have no idea what I just said, but it had a nice ring to it huh?

Deano
05-04-2012, 01:26 PM
You mean it's like forum sex? :eek:
More like a reward for satisfying your internet brethren... I think?? Are we drifting sideways now??? What were we talking about? Oh yeah, my first 1911. Someone want to send me one instead of rep points? :D

Deano
05-04-2012, 01:28 PM

I don't have any but if I did it wouldn't matter but nobody likes me cause I don't have any but they'd envy me if I had some but I should give it away unless I don't have any then I can't.

Man I should get in politics, I have no idea what I just said, but it had a nice ring to it huh?
Dude, you catch on real fast like.

GROTMAN
05-04-2012, 01:38 PM

Umm, I think I almost kind of understand that.. If I had any I would give them to you but then everybody would envy you and yada,yada,yada.. :ohmy:
That right?

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 01:51 PM
More like a reward for satisfying your internet brethren... I think?? Are we drifting sideways now??? What were we talking about? Oh yeah, my first 1911. Someone want to send me one instead of rep points? :D

I'd do that but what if I send you one that you don't like. Then you'd hate me, never give me none of them forum sex points and nobody would envy either one of us. Could I live with myself in that event. I'm not sure I can risk the sadness and rejection.
But you know we'll help you to the very end finding the right 1911 just for you.

Tinman507
05-04-2012, 01:56 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs822.snc4/68225_110033189068169_100001844651544_84539_797433 6_n.jpg

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey Deano's the OP here and we're still helping him find the perfect 1911. He's the one that tried to lure me into the broom closet with green stamps or rep points.

Hey Deano?, you like related to Dean Martin, maybe you are Dean Martin?

Ok Tinman, now we took a turn.

jg rider
05-04-2012, 02:12 PM
I've got the itch for a 1911. In my search for what would be my first 1911, I've made a couple of observations.
1) Models by Colt, SA, Ruger, S&W are impossible to find. When searching I've found the annoying "Out of Stock" at every web site.
2) I went to the gun show this past weekend and handled a few used ones, and observed that they generally felt uncomfortably large in my small hands. My thumb was not long enough to reach the slide release lever on any of them.

As an example, my CW45 feels perfect in my hand. My Glock 19 gen 3 grip feels large to me, although I still shoot it pretty accurately. So I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on one that you can currently find "In stock" that would be a good pistol for someone with pretty small hands. I do not plan to carry, but do plan to use around the house for self defense, and for putting holes in targets that have been bad.

As someone that's shot and competed with 1911's, there's lots or things to get used to with them:

1- I don't know of anyone that can reach the standard length slide stop lever. The way it's done now is by pulling back on the slide and release. I do it the old way, and so do competitive shooters.
If the slide locks back, drop the mag, insert a new one. As your bring you're left hand up to grip, you use your left thumb to push down on the lever. Left handers can probably use their index finger

2- The best way to drop a mag, if you're right handed is to rotate your grip so that your thumb reaches the mag release button. You tip the pistol so that you can see the mag well and insert new mag. Your weak hand helps rotate the pistol back into position as it goes into place.
This is the technique used by all the world class shooters (including me :D). People have tried using different techniques like in the above video, or using the left hand index finger to push the button. When there's no stress they work some of the time. But when going fast the button is released too soon and the mag gets caught in the gun. I think this happens because the left hand want to go for the new mag ASAP.
Left handers have it easy. They use their strong hand index finger.

3- I guess I have small to medium sized hands based on glove sizes. I prefer long triggers. I want the pad of my index finger to contact the the trigger, not the first joint. The shot breaks cleaner that way. If I use a short trigger I have to stick the index finger's second joint way out.

4- Bawanna is right about thinner grip panels, but also think about whether you like an arched or flat mainspring housing. For me an arched MSH causes me to shoot high in rapid fire. The flat MSH allows me to point naturally

That's what I know, I'm sticking to it ;)

GROTMAN
05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs822.snc4/68225_110033189068169_100001844651544_84539_797433 6_n.jpg
LOL.. again !! Now I'm going to to give you all my rep points.. if I ever figure out what they are and get any :).

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Good point on the main spring housing JG. Many of the GI's will have the arched, don't see many enhanced in any way 1911's with anything but flat.
That's a real easy swap if a nice GI version is found and one prefers the flat.

Many come with plastic main spring housings too which really shouldn't matter but I don't like them. I swap for steel.

Deano
05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
We seem to be drifting back on course now.

Tinman, you got a diagram for us?

Grotman, I thought I made it clear that you can't give none of them points if you ain't got none.

Bawana, I did see that Father's day thread, and I was impressed at the overall opinion on the MRI DE 1911. Maybe I should just make that my first foray into this incurable sickness.

Bawanna
05-04-2012, 03:33 PM

Tinman, you got a diagram for us?

Grotman, I thought I made it clear that you can't give none of them points if you ain't got none.

Bawana, I did see that Father's day thread, and I was impressed at the overall opinion on the MRI DE 1911. Maybe I should just make that my first foray into this incurable sickness.

I think you could do a lot worse. I like mine a lot. Great value.

Yogi 117
05-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Sounds like a shopping trip is in order Deano! Does it ever stop? lol :confused:

Tinman507
05-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Ok, we're back on track.
These threads were much farther apart earlier today

http://www.smartdevicesinc.com/Nylon-thread.jpg

yqtszhj
05-04-2012, 08:59 PM
For a decent first 1911 to get used to without breaking the bank, here is a RIA that someone else has mentioned.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411539799/Rock+Island+Armory+1911+Tactical+45+ACP+5%22+Parke rized

If you want to pay $200 more you can get one a little more fancy:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411539801/Rock+Island+Armory+1911A1+Match+45ACP+Fixed+Sights +8%2B1

I have the basic GI RIA for $400 and it's never missed a beat even once.

Disapointed
05-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Getting back to topic:
I recently bought a kimber all black, bare bones, ultra carry II. OTD $870.00. I've owned and shot MANY pistols, but that was my first 1911. Have about 700 rounds through it. LOVE it!!! The pistol has seen at most 2 hiccups in 700+ rounds. I can't count those either, because it was my 14 yr old nephew shooting it when it happened. Small, concealable, more or less, 25 oz, and accurate bigtime.:D

HenryinFlorida
05-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Here is a good alternative to teh Rock Island 1911.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/178/products_id/49736/Handguns/Bersa+Handguns/Bersa%208%20+%201%20Round%2045ACP%20Single%20Actio n%20American%20Classic%20w/Blu/

Deano
05-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Rock Island reviews seem to be outstanding as well as the Bersa. Didn't even know Bersa made one to be honest. I'd almost decided on getting a Desert Eagle only to find no one seems to have them right now. Some good suggestions. Keep 'em coming, and thanks.

ParabellumJ
05-05-2012, 12:09 AM
I also have small to medium hands and I cannot reach the slide stop or mag release on 1911's either. You can either get thinner grips, or just adapt. My only 1911 was a Colt Series 80 but I sold it (why do I do such stupid things?) but I have been eying a replacemnt for her one of these days.

What I found is if you want it new and you want it now, or like this month (or this quarter), you will probably have to settle for something you may not be completely happy with. You may have to comprimise something that is important to you. I have only been buying firearms for about 7 or 8 years and have sold many many more than I would like to admit. In that short time if there is one thing I have learned when buying a gun it is this...don't settle, don't comprimise. Get exactly what you want. You are buying a 1911 and since they are hotter than that chick in Tinman's post (I still don't see a gun in that photo) you will have to wait a while. If you special order one exactly how you want, it will be worth the wait and will be with you much longer than the few months you had to wait for it. Enjoy the hunt.

Deano
05-05-2012, 01:58 AM
I also have small to medium hands and I cannot reach the slide stop or mag release on 1911's either. You can either get thinner grips, or just adapt. My only 1911 was a Colt Series 80 but I sold it (why do I do such stupid things?) but I have been eying a replacemnt for her one of these days.

What I found is if you want it new and you want it now, or like this month (or this quarter), you will probably have to settle for something you may not be completely happy with. You may have to comprimise something that is important to you. I have only been buying firearms for about 7 or 8 years and have sold many many more than I would like to admit. In that short time if there is one thing I have learned when buying a gun it is this...don't settle, don't comprimise. Get exactly what you want. You are buying a 1911 and since they are hotter than that chick in Tinman's post (I still don't see a gun in that photo) you will have to wait a while. If you special order one exactly how you want, it will be worth the wait and will be with you much longer than the few months you had to wait for it. Enjoy the hunt.Wise words. Thank you. I brought some rep points over from another forum, and you get 1,000 for your wisdom. Doesn't it feel good? ;)

Bawanna
05-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Wise words. Thank you. I brought some rep points over from another forum, and you get 1,000 for your wisdom. Doesn't it feel good? ;)

Dang it, I'm so jealous and envious and I'm not giving him anymore since he already has some and I don't have any to give so now nobody's jealous or envious of me.
JohnH, we gotta get on this rep point thing, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. NOT.

With regards to getting what you want, the 1911 is to pistols what the AR is to rifles. Everybody that makes an accessory makes one for a 1911.
So it's pretty easy to upgrade and modify piece meal as you go, as you can afford, as your taste change.
Start with any decent quality gun and you can turn it into Disneyland. Never completed as long as there is imagination left in the world.

gunmut
05-05-2012, 10:54 AM
See if you can find a STI Guardian, Sig GSR with officers grip length. They both should fit your hand a little better and both are great 1911s

ParabellumJ
05-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Wise words. Thank you. I brought some rep points over from another forum, and you get 1,000 for your wisdom. Doesn't it feel good? ;)

Thanks, much appreciated. By the way, if you are considering a Springfield there is a video on youtube from the Armory Channel that you may find interesting. Not saying this is bad (all though I don't see how it could be good), but an informed buyer is, well, you know...

Anyway, if you forward to 3:25 in the video you can cut to the chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GguFnou97g0&list=UU_yFwaCnvs9fM_-1o35lTFA&index=7&feature=plcp

ParabellumJ
05-05-2012, 06:05 PM
With regards to getting what you want, the 1911 is to pistols what the AR is to rifles. Everybody that makes an accessory makes one for a 1911.
So it's pretty easy to upgrade and modify piece meal as you go, as you can afford, as your taste change.
Start with any decent quality gun and you can turn it into Disneyland. Never completed as long as there is imagination left in the world.

Very true, but also can be very costly. Much cheaper (and easier) to order the features you want rather than retro fit later. Of course, if you are looking to build a custom 1911, then your only limit is your pocketbook.

Deano
05-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I think I may have found a site that has an STI spartan and a Sig with night sights. I'm suspicious though, because the site says 1 available beside each of their 1911's listed. Almost as though to get you to purchase one, and then find yourself waiting a month while they order one. That ever happen to anyone else? I think I'll give 'em a call on Monday. I'm very intrigued with the Sig, but no one talks about their 1911 on the forums. Why is that?

Deano
05-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Dang it, I'm so jealous and envious and I'm not giving him anymore since he already has some and I don't have any to give so now nobody's jealous or envious of me.
JohnH, we gotta get on this rep point thing, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. NOT.

Start with any decent quality gun and you can turn it into Disneyland. Never completed as long as there is imagination left in the world.Bawana, I've got 2,000 rep points with your name on it. You've been extremely helpful. Don't go gettin' all cocky now.