05-04-2012, 02:44 PM
S&W M&P Shield Range Report:

Overall impression:

Excellent.

Ammo:

100 rounds S&B 115 Grain FMJ Zero failures

8 rounds Gold Dot 124 Grain JHP +P Short Barrel Zero Failures

Trigger:

Very smooth and consistent up to the quick break. (I will use the safety when packing.) I prefer Shield safety trigger design over Beretta Nano "Glock Like" which irritated my finger tip for a day following multiple recoils.

The smooth trigger is in the same league as my Kahr CM9 only it breaks much sooner and resets sooner. The safety trigger on the Shield takes getting use to the hinge action. The bottom half of the trigger when you pull begins to move before the top half. It is very subtle but it did take some getting use to the sensation.

Sights:

Large 3 Dot which is quick to aquire target. Rear sight sits higher than the Kahr CM9 and Beretta Nano. One negative the sight can catch on pant pocket when drawing straight up. I will need to train to pull down and out.

Recoil:

A little softer than the Kahr CM9 and about the same as the Beretta Nano. I believe the extra 3-4 oz of weight over the Kahr CM9 may play into the recoil softer.

Grip:

I was able to aquire a firmer grip with the S&W over both the CM9 and Beretta Nano because I could get 1/2 my pinkie finger on the flush magazine (see photo) and the concave near the top of the grip allowed for my thumb to aquire a more sure hold during recoil.

I also included a picture of the extended magazine which is too big for pocket conceal in my opinion.

Note: magazines are stiff to load the last couple rounds and when chambered very difficult to insert magazine last 1/8th inch to lock.

Accuracy:

See picture of target. The gun shoots straight when my grouping is off I had no one to blame but myself. The Shield is capable of shooting extremly tight shots. The hair trigger adds to the accuracy in my opinion. I did pull to the left slightly with most shots which for right handed shooters is common. The gun is dead on as a right handed shooter I am pulling to the left when I pull the trigger.

All shots were two handed free standing with no fix object to rest upon with the exception of one gang bang series.

Self Defense Shooting (gang bang):

I shot 8 rounds one handed, limp wrist rapid fire with zero failures.

Holster:

Fits snug and cover trigger.

De Santis The Nemesis #N38BJE1Z0 (Fits Glock 26, Walter PPS and a few other models)

Russ

jocko
05-04-2012, 02:49 PM
nice report.

Russ
05-04-2012, 03:14 PM
nice report.

Jocko:

Thank you

Russ

melissa5
05-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I installed an Apex hard sear in my Shield and now the trigger pull is around 4 lbs. Love it!

shipwreck
05-05-2012, 06:35 PM
I installed an Apex hard sear in my Shield and now the trigger pull is around 4 lbs. Love it!

That's pretty cool. I read about others who did that.

I am used to DA?SA guns, though - going back to this style of trigger, I prefer the 6+lbs of the stock trigger

jocko
05-05-2012, 06:39 PM

clear this stuff with Bawanna????:popcorn:

Bill K
05-05-2012, 06:42 PM
The Shield appears to be getting very good reviews. Spec wise, for me, it would not make a good pocket pistol. Seems like it would make a fine belt carry piece.

jocko
05-05-2012, 06:46 PM
probably gonna be a good gun. Smith doesnt normally make alot of mistakes. they were just alittle late to the dance though, IMO: Just sayin.

I think they are all chasing kahr

Chowser
05-05-2012, 06:56 PM
i am still waiting on my dealer to get one of these, they got a small shipment up front but sold out quickly. they still have not been given the l.e. price from s&w yet either.

melissa5
05-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Hickok45 likes the Shield. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7pmjCWSgJU&list=UUvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg&index=8&feature=plcp

Planedude
05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I went to the largest, best-est Gun Show we get in town and NOT ONE S&W Sheild was for sale at the show.
I looked at a few used Kahrs but they were all priced about 90% of new...

joe d
05-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I bought one myself just short of a week after they came out...So far have about 500 flawless rounds thru it...I own an M&P 9c and a 45C as well...Awesome guns...love the shield...

Barth
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
After promising myself no more new guns till I get my truck.
I'm continuing with my ridiculous quest for a stockpile of barrels for my existing guns.
Currently have two extended ported barrels on order for my pair of Sig Sauers coming from Storm Lake and Bar Sto.

Both guns go in for trigger jobs and SRT kits tomorrow.

My next gun is still up in the air.
The short list would be;
Walther PPQ 9mm
Sig Sauer P224 357
Sig Sauer P938 9mm
and now these S&W M&P guns with APEX triggers have got my attention...

For now I'll just play with my existing Magnificent Seven - LOL!
S&W 629-2 44 Mag
S&W 640-1 357 Mag
S&W 342 ti 38+P
Sig Sauer P220/45
Sig Sauer P239/357
Kahr MK40 Elite/40
Glock EXO G27/9mm,357,40

Krusty
05-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Took my m&p shield last week to the range.Three sessions so far , last session 200 rds 115 fmj with no problems.Total of 800rds without a hick up. The trigger on this gun is something else, very satisfied!:)

Barth
05-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Took my m&p shield last week to the range.Three sessions so far , last session 200 rds 115 fmj with no problems.Total of 800rds without a hick up. The trigger on this gun is something else, very satisfied!:)

I understand there is an APEX kit that takes the trigger to the next level.
Almost want to get one just to find out!

Krusty
05-09-2012, 03:30 PM
I use the shield as a back up ccw when my pm45 isn't at home . The trigger is already scary light for ccw, I 'm very accurate with it and don't see the necessity for the apex sear.