PDA

View Full Version : Remember: Always treat a gun as loaded.

Yingy
05-07-2012, 09:20 PM
While in the local gas station tonight a man was just finishing up in front of me with a boot on his leg and foot using crutches. I know the clerk well enough to ask what happened to him. Turned out the guy was cleaning his .40 caliber pistol and shot himself. Went through his leg and into his calf. He told her that because he had the magazine out that he assumed the gun was unloaded. Also said that the bullet was still intact and that he was going to wear it around his neck. And the kicker is he told her he had a CCW license too.

It just amazes me how these things happen.

AJBert
05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
When I was in Iraq, a Major in the Army shot himself in the thigh after clearing his M9 in the clearing barrel before entering the chow hall. He dropped his mag, racked the slide, ensured the chamber was empty, re-inserted mag and released the slide.

As he was re-holstering, that nagging trigger finger found its way inside the trigger guard. He re-inserted a full mag and chamberer a round when he let the slide go.

The round entered his thigh, hit his femur and ended up exititing around his ankle. Along the path that the bullet chose, it not only caused massive tissue damage but completely destroyed his femural artery. He ended up loosing his leg.

ALWAYS TREAT EVERY FIREARM AS IF IT IS LOADED!!!

ParabellumJ
05-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh it happens. This guy must have missed Rules 1 through 3 of the four rules. I bet he wont do that again.

muggsy
05-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Oh it happens. This guy must have missed Rules 1 through 3 of the four rules. I bet he wont do that again.

My sentiments exactly.

Barth
05-08-2012, 06:13 AM

+1
That's why there are four rules.
If the gun was always pointed in a safe direction.
Never crossing the barrel over anything you didn't want to destroy.
The accidental discharge could have harmlessly went on it's way.