PDA

View Full Version : Need a little info on Marlin 22

Popeye
05-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Ok so I'm sitting out on my patio yesterday and my neighbor comes over with this bolt action Marlin .22. and gives it to me. He knows I'm into old rifles as most of you probably know, and I like .22's.
Hears what I know about it. It's and Marlin 81DL. It's tube fed (18 /25)and It shoots Short /long/ longrifle rounds. It does not have Marlins Micro grooved barrel so I'm guessing it pre 1954. The scope on it is a 3/4" Weaver G4 made in El Paso TX. It appears like it's been on the rifle since new as the blueing on both pieces where they mount together is perfect.
There is some pitting on the outside of the barrel and some blueing off the scope. The barrels bore is very clean and the scope is crystal clear. I was suprised to see this because when I first looked at it I thought they were both pretty much junk.The thing that is throwing me off is the checkered Stock. Buy the way there hardly a mark on it.
This rifle might not be the prettiest rifle in town but the action seems good and looks to me like it just might be a pretty good little beater .22.
If any of you guys can come up with a little more info on this rifle it would be appreciated. TIA Popeye.

Garland
05-08-2012, 06:31 AM
They are pretty friendly on the Marlin forum. I have a 39A so I look over there once and a while...
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

mr surveyor
05-08-2012, 08:37 AM
according to my now 4 year old copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values, the 81DL was manufactured betewwn 1940 and 1965, and wholesale value was (probably no substantial change today) valued at $65 in fair condition up to $100 in very good condition. Most resellers (pawn shop/gun shop) don't place much more than $25-30 value on used scopes/scope rings, with the exception of the higher quality scopes, so that particular gun on the rack in most shoips I visit would probably have a price tag of around $150 (most likely negotiable down to $120-125).

Personally, if the innards are good on the gun and it's as accurate as most old (and new) Marlins are, I just as soon pay $200-250 for that rifle/scope combination as I would for most of the current .22 cal rifles on the market.

surv

Bawanna
05-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Looks really in nice shape to me. I think I have an 81 in the box, I'll have to check on the letter designation. I don't think it's the deluxe model.

Popeye
05-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys. I just got back from the range with it. Like Surv said it's a Marlin and he's right it is a very accurate .22. I was at an indoor range so the best I could do today was 25+ yards. I had to tweek the adjustments on the scope a little but not much. I did have a few problems with it picking up a few rounds from the feed tube. I'm thinking the spring in the feed tube is not stong enough. I pulled it apart and streatched it out a little and tried hand cycling it when I got home and it seemed to work fine so I guess I'll break down and buy a new spring. I also took it's polar opposite the 91/30 Mosin Nagant. I must say after putting the recoil pad on it it's a lot more fun to shoot. That thing feels like a beast after shooting a .22. Buying the Mosin was the best $110 I ever spent on a rifle. I just love old rifles that are cheap to shoot.:D

Tinman507
05-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Popeye,

Where'd you find the Mosin? Looking for something like that locally.

Bawanna
05-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Bud's has them for 109 bucks delivered right now, with a bayonet and sling.

With Gregs' help I discovered that what I thought was a 91/30 is actually a very early 91 that got fixed up by the Finns. I'm gonna do some research although Greg already did most of it.
Like to get a 91/30 just to shoot and play around with.

I'll post some pics of my old Dragoon/Cossack Nagant.

Popeye
05-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Popeye,

Where'd you find the Mosin? Looking for something like that locally.

Surplus Arms on Bustleton Ave. in Sumerton. Bring some money because when you go in that place you'll go gun friekin crazy.

Tinman507
05-08-2012, 12:14 PM
thanks Popeye & Bawanna. Will check both out.

jlottmc
05-08-2012, 12:23 PM
I think they can be had for about $70-ish through J&G, then you add ffl transfer though. Cabella's had some here for about $100 even, but I haven't seen them in some time.

Popeye
05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Tinman a good indication that the rifle has been refubished is the barrel might be counterbored and recrowned.. Mine is counter bored about a 1/2 in. And the end of the barrel looks new but has no blueing.

Tinman507
05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks Popeye. Will deifinitely keep that in mind.
Total noob when it comes to these rifles.

jlottmc
05-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Go to www.7.62x54r.net there is a plethora of great info on the Moisin-Nagant, as well as a humor page http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm that is actually pretty funny, and fairly accurate.

Popeye
05-09-2012, 07:11 AM
I've been on those sites. "Thanks" That comparison of the AK/AR /Mosin is a riot. They truely are a beast of a rifle. When I was at the range yesterday shooting that .22 they're was a bunch of older like myself gentilemen there also shooting .22's. When I brought the 91/30 out and cut loose a round of 762 x 54 did that ever draw some attention.:D One guy who I was talking to a little earlier came over laughing and said WTF was that????? He then watched me shoot a couple rounds off and I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. To which he put up his hands and said not with that recoil. It was a funny moment. I love going to the range early in the morning when it first opens. There is usually only a couple people around and a lot of fun.

I've got to say though I was pleasantly supprised at just how accurate that little Marlin 22 is. It's just as accurate as my newer 10/22 and is probably more accurate than it at longer ranges do to it's approx. 6" longer barrel. My neighbor who gave it to me will be glad to hear that. He's a young guy who could be my son. He always says if all hell breaks loose he coming to my house and we'll fight them off together or die trying. Personally I just don't think he wants all those holes in his siding.:rolleyes:

jlottmc
05-09-2012, 07:43 AM
I'd say they can come to my place, but it would be empty. I love taking my cannons out at the range, I get some interesting responses at times. When I used to have my Barrett, I would warn people on either side before I touched it off. they always scoffed, until the boom, then I would have their complete and undivided attention. I would usually also get a couple of them wanting me to pay for the scope that just got broken because they didn't listen also (I warned them beforehand and the range as well, so never entertained that). One of my fondest memories was going to the range with my uncle with his black powders (he was just getting into flintlocks at the time, and just getting into the mountain man recreations and such then too). We would pull up next to folks with their little AR's and such, start loading chuckling at them laughing at us, all the while you heard popopopopopopopop then BOOOM with lots of smoke. It was hysterical because we once again had their undivided attention, then we showed them the hole downrange.