PDA

View Full Version : CW45 possible problem

Pokefun
02-18-2010, 03:36 PM
but could be me. I have put 250 rounds of wwb 230 fmj downrange without a single problem, but it acted up today. I decided I would shoot some Remington 230 golden saber and a box of Corbon 230 +p to make sure it would feed and perform as it should before carrying that in it. Well, I shot 3 rounds of the Remington ammo and and the slide stop came out about 3/8 of an inch. I thought maybe it was not put back together well after the night sight install Tuesday, so I pushed the stop back in to place and went back to shooting. Two more and it came out about 1/8 and I stopped. Not shooting the +p stuff until I figure out the problem. It did feed alright and shoot alright, but I can't feel comfortable carrying it until I figure this out. Any suggestions?

jocko
02-18-2010, 03:56 PM
but could be me. I have put 250 rounds of wwb 230 fmj downrange without a single problem, but it acted up today. I decided I would shoot some Remington 230 golden saber and a box of Corbon 230 +p to make sure it would feed and perform as it should before carrying that in it. Well, I shot 3 rounds of the Remington ammo and and the slide stop came out about 3/8 of an inch. I thought maybe it was not put back together well after the night sight install Tuesday, so I pushed the stop back in to place and went back to shooting. Two more and it came out about 1/8 and I stopped. Not shooting the +p stuff until I figure out the problem. It did feed alright and shoot alright, but I can't feel comfortable carrying it until I figure this out. Any suggestions?

check to see if part #29 slide stop spring is still in tact.

Try this. take the slide off the gun, and reinsert the slide stop lever, that little notch on the slide lock lever must go under the slide stop spring, there for, if you try to flip up that lever with the slide off, it should immediately pul lit back down. Now check to see how easy it is to push the slide stop lever out from the other side. that little part #29 does two things and one of them is to hold that slide stop lever in place. If your gertting zero reistance form that little spring, then tweek that spring tip downward a tad so that it engages that slide stop notch. There should be no play in that slide stop lever once inserted, if the spring is doing it's part. If that solves your issue, you can do to things. #1 you fixed it, now leave it alone. #2 call kahr and hav ethem send you a new slide stop spiring and then buy from them also the little torx wrench needed to take that little screw out on the left side that holds that spring in place.

Pokefun
02-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Thank you Jocko, I do believe you have fixed my problem. The spring is intact, but was in need of a minor tweak. I will run some more of the Golden Sabers through it tomorrow and then move on to the Corbon ammo. I guess this thing is good for +p isn't it?

jocko
02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Thank you Jocko, I do believe you have fixed my problem. The spring is intact, but was in need of a minor tweak. I will run some more of the Golden Sabers through it tomorrow and then move on to the Corbon ammo. I guess this thing is good for +p isn't it?

shoot +p until the cows come home in any kahr. glad that took care of it. now that you know what to do, just keep an eye on that area. The little spring is durable as hell. I have 25000 rounds out of my PM9 and I have never touched that spring for replacement. I think I tweeked it one time as it was failing sometimes to lock open on the last round. Alittle tweek on that spring and all has been OK..

A good way to also see if that slide stop lever is working ok, is with the slide off, insert an empty magazine and view if that follower is engaging the slide stop lever with ease. By that I mean is it picking up that lever fully .... then install the magazine and with an empty magazine just pull back the slide and see if it locks open every time. If it does not , then u just over tweeked it a tad and tweek backwards just a tad. the follower and magazine spring is the only thing that engages the slide stop lever and if that little springy thing is under to much tension then the follower is working against it and you will get failure to lock open. again a tweek here and there and u are good to go. I strongly recommend and I am not sure on the kahr 45's yet either but check wolffs springs and see if they offer a 5% extra strenght magazine spring for your gun. Buy umthey are great and that little extra ump will certainly enhance more reliable slide lock on the last round to.

As you know the second thing that little springy thing is desinged to do is to want to always be wanting to pull that slide stop lever downward, never upward, That isthe job of the follower in the magazine upon the last round.

I do think you got it solved but when you go shooting be aware of where your thumb is on that left side. One can and has hit that slide lock lever engaging and never knowing it....

Vinikahr
02-18-2010, 06:47 PM
shoot +p until the cows come home in any kahr. glad that took care of it. now that you know what to do, just keep an eye on that area. The little spring is durable as hell. Ihave 25,000 plus ronds out of my PM9 and I have never touched that spring for replacement. I think I tweeked it one time as it was failing sometimes to lock open on the last round. Alittle tweek on that spring and all has been OK..

:yo:

mr surveyor
02-18-2010, 10:30 PM
I love a happy ending:D

Pokefun
02-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Shot all I had with me this morning and she performed flawlessly. Thank you goes out to Jocko. I love this handgun! I will be buying a PM45 next week.

getsome
02-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Ya just gotta love this place...;)

tomwalshco
02-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Shot all I had with me this morning and she performed flawlessly. Thank you goes out to Jocko. I love this handgun! I will be buying a PM45 next week.
Pokefun, share with us why you're getting a PM45. I've been thinking about the PM, I have a CW9, but the 1/2" or so you gain in height and length doesn't seem to rationalize it. Also the extra jolt from the 2 finger vs 3 finger grip? I don't know. You gonna stick the PM in your pocket?

In-Yo-Grill
02-24-2010, 05:51 AM
Pokefun, share with us why you're getting a PM45. I've been thinking about the PM, I have a CW9, but the 1/2" or so you gain in height and length doesn't seem to rationalize it. Also the extra jolt from the 2 finger vs 3 finger grip? I don't know. You gonna stick the PM in your pocket?

My God man...do any of us need to have a good reason to buy another gun!?!

I think he needs to have the CW45 as his vehicle gun and carry the PM45. Then he needs a PM9/MK9 for those light clothing days and a P9 just because...lol:roll:

Vinikahr
02-24-2010, 06:23 AM
It is good to have options!