PDA

View Full Version : Is your MK9 ammo sensitive?

pitandkahr
05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Odd question: I haven't had an issue with mine (but only ran 150 WWB as her maiden trip with 1 FTF, probably OE) but a guy at the range was shooting one 2 lanes over and was complaining about his having crazy ammo sensitivity...Is there any ammo that fellow MK9 owners found not to be eaten by your baby? I usually run WWB, Federal and reliable re-loads (friend does them so I know the quality) through guns...

JimBianchi
05-18-2012, 10:37 PM
no.

4K down the pipe in 6yrs.

Reloads to +p+ all good after the first 60rds of breakin.

QuercusMax
05-19-2012, 11:45 AM
My MK9 has happily eaten (and digested) everything I've fed it :hungry:, even low-end stuff such as WWB, Blazer Brass, and even (ugh) Blazer aluminum (which I bought accidentally a while back).

Barth
05-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Odd question: I haven't had an issue with mine (but only ran 150 WWB as her maiden trip with 1 FTF, probably OE) but a guy at the range was shooting one 2 lanes over and was complaining about his having crazy ammo sensitivity...Is there any ammo that fellow MK9 owners found not to be eaten by your baby? I usually run WWB, Federal and reliable re-loads (friend does them so I know the quality) through guns...

I'm always suspicious when I hear of Kahr ammo sensitivity.
My MK40 took 200+ rounds just to get smooth and start to break in.
I had several FTF on various HPs during that period.

Then during the second 200 only specific brands of HPs would give me
trouble and others would run trouble free.

Finally at 400+ the gun went to the next level.
Got buttery smooth cycling and has been flawless with anything I feed it.

Often the gun isn't broken in yet or they are using garbage reloads.

pitandkahr
05-19-2012, 12:51 PM
He was shooting Federal 115. I was shooting WWB so not super quality ammo. But I've had great times for the first 200. I cant wait for the next 200 and all the 1000's after that. LOL

I wanted to check out his Kahr but not normal range questions. He didn't like the fact I didn't have any issues it appeared from his reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TucsonMTB
05-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Finally at 400+ the gun went to the next level.
Got buttery smooth cycling and has been flawless with anything I feed it.
I suspect a lot of people are disappointed when their new pistol from (pick any manufacturer) needs a hundred bucks or more worth of ammo run through it before it works well enough to trust as a carry piece. :eek:

Yeah, it's fun to shoot, but . . . some folks just move on to something they feel they can trust immediately. In this age of instant gratification, it's hard to blame them.

pitandkahr
05-19-2012, 02:07 PM
I think some think all gun are alike. But just like so many other things, they are not. My XD's shoot anything and don't need any special prepping. Just take them to the range and have at it.

I shy'd away from Kahrs to be honest because of all the mixed reviews from those that I think expected them to be like their other guns. My FFL suggested I try a PM9 and now I'm addicted and actually like and respect the prepping and care. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barth
05-19-2012, 02:10 PM
I suspect a lot of people are disappointed when their new pistol from (pick any manufacturer) needs a hundred bucks or more worth of ammo run through it before it works well enough to trust as a carry piece. :eek:

Yeah, it's fun to shoot, but . . . some folks just move on to something they feel they can trust immediately. In this age of instant gratification, it's hard to blame them.

I didn't say I enjoyed the experience - LOL!
I totally agree with you.
My two Sigs and my Glock were 100% reliable with anything right out of the box.

After buying a new high end $800+ gun
I found myself extremely unhappy and disappointed.
I knew some guns (a la Kimber) were notorious for requiring a break in period.
So I located this forum, did my homework and worked through the problems.
Even after the gun smoothed out I still had that mental picture of FTF that haunted me.

It took some time to get over that.
Lots of trouble free sessions with expensive HP rounds.
Now with everything behind me I'm very happy with the little pistol.

But would I do it again, or try something else?
Honestly, I'm not sure my next gun will be a Kahr.

TucsonMTB
05-19-2012, 02:27 PM
I've heard it said that, "Great minds think alike." http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

The PM/CM series is a great size. Sure am glad (relieved) that mine finally smoothed out, too.

ORSalesRep
05-19-2012, 05:47 PM
My MK9 has been flawless with any ammo I have fed it, including reloads from the first round fired.

jocko
05-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I didn't say I enjoyed the experience - LOL!
I totally agree with you.
My two Sigs and my Glock were 100% reliable with anything right out of the box.

After buying a new high end $800+ gun
I found myself extremely unhappy and disappointed.
I knew some guns (a la Kimber) were notorious for requiring a break in period.
So I located this forum, did my homework and worked through the problems.
Even after the gun smoothed out I still had that mental picture of FTF that haunted me.

It took some time to get over that.
Lots of trouble free sessions with expensive HP rounds.
Now with everything behind me I'm very happy with the little pistol.

But would I do it again, or try something else?
Honestly, I'm not sure my next gun will be a Kahr.

carry 9 acted up in the early stages and when I talked to Para serice they basically tld me to call um back after 500 rounds. Call the first 100,200, 500 anything u wantto call it, if it is a new gun, of any maker, are u gonna send it back if in the frist 100 rounds it acts up?? I guess some will; Just saying.

Becuause a gun maker does not state it, does not mean they mean for the gun to be shot for awhiile before panicking. Not defending kahr one way or the other. BUT alot of gun makers want the owner to shot it awhile before sending it back. If kahr said 50 round break in, some would still b!tch, so I guess they can't win either. how many drive their new car off the lot and drive it like they stole it????

I try not to compare my kahrs to other guns or vice versa.:boink:

Barth
05-19-2012, 07:05 PM
carry 9 acted up in the early stages and when I talked to Para serice they basically tld me to call um back after 500 rounds. Call the first 100,200, 500 anything u wantto call it, if it is a new gun, of any maker, are u gonna send it back if in the frist 100 rounds it acts up?? I guess some will; Just saying.

Becuause a gun maker does not state it, does not mean they mean for the gun to be shot for awhiile before panicking. Not defending kahr one way or the other. BUT alot of gun makers want the owner to shot it awhile before sending it back. If kahr said 50 round break in, some would still b!tch, so I guess they can't win either. how many drive their new car off the lot and drive it like they stole it????

I try not to compare my kahrs to other guns or vice versa.:boink:

I never called Kahr?
Or sent the gun back to them, or anyone?
I dealt with it

And you're not suppose to compare;
your kids, your guns, your X wives?

Maybe.
But it's human nature to do so.
And I think inevitable.

kerby9mm
05-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I would be apprehensive about using something I stole because I know something would have to go wrong with it!

Cyterio
05-19-2012, 07:21 PM
No issues with anything I've feed my MK9 after the initial break in period. I had a few FTE's and FTF's during break in but I'm still not sure if it was due to me running the gun a bit on the dry side or due to break in. After the first 100+ rounds I started running the gun more on the wet side with a combo of oil and grease and have not had an issue in the 1000+ I've put through it since.

pitandkahr
05-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Second trip to the range and no issues. Ran 50 Federal 115, 50 WWB 115 and 50 Blazer 124. Ran the same through my PM9 and only had one FTF, but probably an OE there. Love this little girl and can't wait to put another couple of hundred rounds through her this week.

O'Dell
05-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Out of all the pistols I've had in the ten years or so, only two were ammo sensitive - a KT PF9 several years ago and my Detonics. That's counting all seven Kahrs including an MK40. The Detonics needs hot ammo to eject properly. I will add that I never shoot reloads or non-brass cased ammunition.

Barth
05-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Out of all the pistols I've had in the ten years or so, only two were ammo sensitive - a KT PF9 several years ago and my Detonics. That's counting all seven Kahrs including an MK40. The Detonics needs hot ammo to eject properly. I will add that I never shoot reloads or non-brass cased ammunition.

I just finished squeezing off 100 Winchester Ranger Bonded 180 gr HPs with my MK40.
Absolutely flawless function, glassy trigger and outstanding accuracy.

I know I complain about break in with my Kahr.
But now with that behind me, I must say it was worth it.
This truly is a work of art little machine
that I would trust my life on to operate properly when in harms way.

jocko
05-21-2012, 12:42 PM
barth, and thatis the nice thing about the breaki. like it or not kahrts do need it to get even smoother. Most all guns need it, some just never valluj break in rounds, which is OK, but kahrs after a copule hundred rounds to almost all owners feel totally different that round #1, so any discontent as u stated soon goes away for one can certainly feel the difference and that is the important thing.

As Oj'Dell stated ad Ihave also for hundreds of times. Kahrs are not ammo sensitive. Noramaly during break in it might tend to be butr it seems after a few hundred rounds out of the gun the ammo that didn't work at first now runs like a duracell battery. Just sayin

TucsonMTB
05-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I just finished squeezing off 100 Winchester Ranger Bonded 180 gr HPs with my MK40.
Absolutely flawless function, glassy trigger and outstanding accuracy.

I know I complain about break in with my Kahr.
But now with that behind me, I must say it was worth it.
This truly is a work of art little machine
that I would trust my life on to operate properly when in harms way.
Congratulations! http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/thumbsup.gif

jocko
05-21-2012, 12:44 PM

back when Detonics first came out and that has to be 35+ years it seems., we sold a few of them due to their smalls size etc, and they were very very ammo sensitive to.. Just sayin

CarlCyrus
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
My MK9 eats anything I throw through her. But my PM9 had an out of spec slide stop that just didn't like anything but 115 gr. ball. Figured out how to file/polish the nose of the slide stop down a bit and she is now 100% reliable with any PD round I put through her.

Because I also shoot 1911s, I've learned that when a reliable gun starts having problems, springs are often the culprit. I first replace all the springs (main spring, hammer spring, firing pin spring, and magazine springs) before going further. In almost all cases, new springs fix the problems.

Carl