PDA

View Full Version : Wax a stainless revolver?

CPO15
05-20-2012, 12:07 PM
At the risk of getting the same inane responses as the 1911 Vaseline thread (I'm guilty, I made a stupid response as well), I pose the following:

I polished my S&W 649 with Mother's and, while it shines well, the fingerprints and other smudges really detract from its appearance. I've read of using wax on a blued gun to enhance the finish and wonder if a paste wax would combat the smears which appear on polished stainless? And are there any downsides to waxing? (a gun, just a gun; no bikini jokes)

Thanks.

skiflydive
05-20-2012, 12:33 PM
At the risk of getting the same inane responses as the 1911 Vaseline thread (I'm guilty, I made a stupid response as well), I pose the following:

I polished my S&W 649 with Mother's and, while it shines well, the fingerprints and other smudges really detract from its appearance. I've read of using wax on a blued gun to enhance the finish and wonder if a paste wax would combat the smears which appear on polished stainless? And are there any downsides to waxing? (a gun, just a gun; no bikini jokes)

Thanks.

I use Johnson's paste wax on the whole exterior of my CM9 and on the magazines as well. No problems so far.

MW surveyor
05-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Don't really see any downside to waxing the gun.

HDoc
05-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Don't really see any downside to waxing the gun.

I'm not even going to comment on that, even though it's a great set-up for a host of jokes....:eek:

SmokingGun
05-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Why in the heck would you wax a gun???

MW surveyor
05-20-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not even going to comment on that, even though it's a great set-up for a host of jokes....:eek:

That's why I wrote it like that :rolleyes:

Tinman507
05-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Waxing poetic isn't as satisfying?

Yogi 117
05-20-2012, 07:41 PM
I have 2 SS Ruger revolvers, and have never heard of waxing them. After range time, they get well cleaned with Hoppes #9, then wiped down. Then they receive a light coat of Remoil, then wiped down again. To finish, I use a silicon cloth. Shines beautiful & no printing or smearing or smudging. YMMV! :)

espresso
05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
I have 2 SS Ruger revolvers, and have never heard of waxing them. After range time, they get well cleaned with Hoppes #9, then wiped down. Then they receive a light coat of Remoil, then wiped down again. To finish, I use a silicon cloth. Shines beautiful & no printing or smearing or smudging. YMMV! :)

Amen, I do exactly the same thing with my GP100 the silicon cloth really makes it sparkle. A little Ballistol on the wood grips and It's in showroom condition.

les strat
05-21-2012, 09:00 AM
There really isn't a need to wax a SS gun if you take any kind of care if it IMO. Blued guns are a different story, as well as SS-looking guns, like a 642 that is aluminum with a clear coating over the top that can wear away. ALso good for shotguns and rifles that are used to hunt in wet conditions. Waxing definitley protects well, although many guns have survived decades well-preserved that have never been waxed.

yqtszhj
05-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Why in the heck would you wax a gun???

To make it tidy get rid of those stragglers that keep poking out. :boink:

Somebody had to take this off the deep end... :D

muggsy
05-21-2012, 07:26 PM
I believe that all of you have waxed eloquently on this topic. (Pun intended)

dkmatthews
05-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Some may choose to burn the candle at both ends in an attempt to keep their gun clean and shiny. But if your gun gets plenty of action (and post-action cleaning), then waxing would probably be just something to do to justify playing with it. :D

Infidel proud
05-21-2012, 07:45 PM
I prefer to wax my fingers, that way I don't leave fingerprints...anywhere...