PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR22 as EDC??

pitandkahr
05-20-2012, 04:08 PM
A friend picked one of these up after he tried mine and like the feel and fun of the plinker 22LR. He let his wife use it and now she wants to use it as her EDC. She refuses to use her .380 because she loves this little plinker so much. Does anyone or anyone's wife, girl friend, partner or significant other use it or other 22LR as an EDC (I know 22LR's aren't good EDC's...blah blah blah)? If so, what ammo are you using? I'm suggested the CCI Stingers from what I saw doing some searches. Now I'm trying to get the .380 since it's not being used, so I'm actually encouraging it a bit http://img.***********/forums/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif...LOL

Tinman507
05-20-2012, 06:03 PM
My wife wants to do the same thing. I am really trying to talk her out of it. She nearly got a CW9 but said wait...

She loves shooting the SR22. I try to explain about 22lr and 9mm. Doesn't matter. If that's all she'll carry it's better than nothing but not by much.

I don't think I'd trust anything but CCI Stingers for carry. All the other stuff is just too inconsistent.

pitandkahr
05-20-2012, 06:08 PM
My wife wants to do the same thing. I am really trying to talk her out of it. She nearly got a CW9 but said wait...

She loves shooting the SR22. I try to explain about 22lr and 9mm. Doesn't matter. If that's all she'll carry it's better than nothing but not by much.

I don't think I'd trust anything but CCI Stingers for carry. All the other stuff is just too inconsistent.

Thank you for the reply...He's not succeeding at getting her to use the .380. The .380 she has the option of using is an LCP or P380...She dislikes both and I'm hoping to snag one of them...More than likely the hubby will probably get rid of the LCP since it's the cheaper of the 2 and it broke in really quick and easy...He's still breaking in the P380...

les strat
05-20-2012, 06:46 PM
If a small .380 is too snappy for someone, the best managable small .380 I think you can buy is a Bersa Thunder .380. The recoil is nothing. But for the size, you could have a CM9/PM9, but still, the recoil is better on the Bersa. They are some fine pistols.

A .22 is better than nothing, but nowhere near optimal. CCI Stingers for sure.

pitandkahr
05-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Yep, agreed!! But you know trying to convince a woman to change her mind when it's set on something is pretty hard to do. She went to Wallyworld and picked up some Stingers, loaded the mag and put it in her bag. So far end of story, but like many say, a 22LR is better than nothing, granted not much. However, I will say, she is a good shot so she'll be able to place it well if needed...LOL:boink:

Tinman507
05-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Hopefully she can place all 10 where they need to go.

pitandkahr
05-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Hopefully she can place all 10 where they need to go.

Very true and like us (or many hopefully) we hope we will never be put in to a situation where we have to use it.

wyntrout
05-20-2012, 08:47 PM
I hate to see or hear that women want to put their EDC in a purse... or something else that a thief will target. They will wind up losing the purse or bag and not having access to the weapon because most thieves are guys and stronger. Their EDC should be on their body... always in their possession... not in something can be grabbed and fought over!

Wynn:)

ParabellumJ
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Someone please change this womans mind. Completely ignoring the terminal ballistics difference between .22LR and .380 (and that is hard to do), someone explain to her that a rimfire is no way to defend yourself. The chances of that round not going off when she needs it to far outweigh any uncomfortable recoil felt from a pocket .380. I would be willing to bet that if forced to defend ones life, you would not even notice the recoil of a gun. Plinking is one thing, but defending ones life should not be chanced on a rimfire going bang.

TheTman
05-20-2012, 10:45 PM
ROFL "Someone please change this woman's mind" You evidently have never been married. That will happen about the same times monkeys fly out of your butt. I wish they made more .22 magnum pistols, that at least has somewhat decent ballistics, than the .22 LR.

TucsonMTB
05-20-2012, 11:00 PM
ROFL "Someone please change this woman's mind" You evidently have never been married. That will happen about the same times monkeys fly out of your butt.
+1 . . . Also, if she has the presence of mind to aim for the bad guys eyes, odds are good she will discourage most attackers.

Center of mass . . . not so likely, but lots of people have been killed by .22LR.

Deano
05-21-2012, 01:28 AM
My wife has the sr22, no CCL yet, but I'd like her to think about the Bersa Thunder as a bare minimum. I don't have one yet, but if you read the reviews, people rave about how reliable and fun to shoot they are.

Popeye
05-21-2012, 05:50 AM
If a small .380 is too snappy for someone, the best managable small .380 I think you can buy is a Bersa Thunder .380. The recoil is nothing. But for the size, you could have a CM9/PM9, but still, the recoil is better on the Bersa. They are some fine pistols.

A .22 is better than nothing, but nowhere near optimal. CCI Stingers for sure.

Agree the BT .380 is a very nice .380 that does seem to have a following with lots of women. It is also probably one of the safest pistols on the market for purse carry if that the way she chooses to carry it. (no comment)I had one at one time before I got my PM9 and I thought it was a very accurate and controlable pistol that was very easy to break down and maintain. The only problem that I found was do to it's straight blowback design was it got dirty very quickly using practice ammo. However on more than one occassion I did shoot 100 rounds through it on a range visit without any problems. So I guess just because it may look dirty doesn't mean it won't function properly.
.22lrs Are certainly not the best or even close to the best SD round but there are quite a few people who have passed away from being shot by one or more rounds.
I guess what is most important is that she is comfortable with whatever caliber she is shooting. If she's not comfortable shooting a larger round then she probably will not shoot it very well in a SHTF situation because she won't practice with it. Me I'd rather see her hit what she's aiming at with a .22 then miss with a larger round where it might hit an innocent person.

I'd do everything in my power to help her get as good as she could get useing that .22 if that what she wanted to carry. Even though I might not agree with her choice.

muggsy
05-21-2012, 06:13 AM
If she likes a .22 let her shoot a .22. Nothing discourages an attack like getting hit by a bullet. Any bullet. Getting hit by 10 bullets can really ruin your day. Just make sure that you emphasize that she has to keep shooting until the threat is neutralizes and that she can't hesitate to shoot.

jeepster09
05-21-2012, 06:13 AM
+1 . . . Also, if she has the presence of mind to aim for the bad guys eyes, odds are good she will discourage most attackers.

Center of mass . . . not so likely, but lots of people have been killed by .22LR.

+2 :rolleyes:

Or for that matter even figure them out :boink:

Barth
05-21-2012, 07:22 AM
I used to hunt tough little ground squirrels in the Mojave desert with 22LR.
Round nose lead would slow them down.
HPs would stop them - sometimes.
CCI Stingers were almost 100% one shot stops.

The biggest issue with small caliber guns in Self Defense is penetration.
I don't recommend anything less than a 9mm or 38 special for that.
If a really small caliber gun is being used, and I know it's politically incorrect,
I recommend shooting in the face.

Practice emptying the gun into a 1 gallon water jug at close range.
It may not be fatal, but sure creates an ultimate distraction.

After all the whole point of self defense is survival, not killing the bad guy.

johnh
05-21-2012, 07:47 AM
After all the whole point of self defense is survival, not killing the bad guy.

Agreed! Your goal is to end the threat to your safety, and this can mean a variety of things other than the perp is dead. Breaking off and escaping may be the best choice and also may produce fewer headaches for you after the fact when the media and courts become involved.

Planedude
05-21-2012, 10:40 AM
I have been known to carry a 21A Beretta and now and again the little Walther P22. I do this when walking the dog on the near by river trail where the most likely "perp" would be four legged or slither on it's belly.
I never expect two leg trouble on that part of the trail (under the perimiter security camaras of the USAF base), but just being armed with any firearm should be enough.
I hope to never find out! The only time I had to pull the 21a out the raggly looking shep-collie-chow mix that was threating the little dog and I seemed to know what was next for him and took off.
Must have been a gun owners dog...:D

That said I don't miss with either of those .22s.

pitandkahr
05-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Love my Bobcat 21a. It's a fun little gun and very accurate. Very good on trails for sure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MW surveyor
05-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I have to admit, I've carried my Walther P22 on occasion. Intermix the loads with 40 grain solids and Stingers. Also carried two mags when doing this.

dkmatthews
05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Agree totally about the drawbacks of purse carry...

Flashbang (http://www.flashbangholster.com/Flashbang_Holster/Welcome.html)

Planedude
05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Fast deploy in the video, she always got it out in under two seconds, that's great. I did get a laugh when the Keltec 380 jammed on her first shot.
They should have used a Kahr.
I'll have to decide about my wife carry gun, but I'll order her one of the Flashbang holsters when I do.

Popeye
05-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Interesting artical about the use of the 22 caliber LR round.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-weapons/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/

jocko
05-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Fast deploy in the video, she always got it out in under two seconds, that's great. I did get a laugh when the Keltec 380 jammed on her first shot.
They should have used a Kahr.
I'll have to decide about my wife carry gun, but I'll order her one of the Flashbang holsters when I do.

keltec didn't surprose me at all: Just sayin