PDA

View Full Version : Loctite Gun-tite vs. Loctite 222

pitandkahr
05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Are these both safe to use on guns? I can't find 222 anywhere locally and need to keep my MK9 grip screws tight. The range I goto has the Gun-tite though so I thought I'd as before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jocko
05-23-2012, 02:22 PM
purple locktite is the weaest stuff they make and tha tis hwat normally the gun shops sells. I thijk there is purpole weask, blue, alittle better, red strong as hell and green, forget about getting if loose.

getsome
05-23-2012, 02:35 PM
The Blue Loctite is fine for that use...It will prevent the screws from getting loose but they can still be removed with a screwdriver...The Red Loctite is stronger and is used on larger nuts/bolts etc prone to vibration but can still be removed with a wrench but is stronger than the blue...the Green stuff is bearing seal and you put it on parts before they are pressed together like a bearing race into a pulley and when it dries you can't get the parts apart without a torch...Not for screws, nuts or bolts unless you never want to take them apart again, thats some strong stuff!!!

Go with the Blue stuff and you only need very little to work on grip screws...Like most products such as non chlorinated brake cleaner most people here use to clean their polymer pistols with is the same product as Gun Scrubber but costs a lot less and works fine... The Gun Tite Loctite is the same stuff but twice as expensive...Go to Pep Boys or whatever auto parts store and pick up a small tube of blue for about 5 bucks and thats all you will ever need and while there grab a can or two of the brake cleaner or electronic cleaner to clean up your pistol when back from the range...

getsome
05-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Dang it Jocko, ever since you took typing lessons your too fast for me...:p

Tinman507
05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
That's with his toes, you should see how fast he is with fingers.

pitandkahr
05-23-2012, 02:45 PM
LOL thank you everyone. All the local stores don't have purple :-( Thus, I'll try the stuff from the range cause I plan on shooting tomorrow :-) Already got 3 cans of 3M in storage from when it was on sale at Napa :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirty_sanchez
05-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Team-

I'm a Loctite Factory Rep.

You won't find the low strength purple 222 at your local Auto Shack or Napa store. Any Bearing house like a Motion Industries, Applied Industrial Technologies, Grainger, Fastenal, can get it for you overnight if they already don't have it on the shelves.

I'd feel comfortable using 222 (low-strength purple threadlocker) on the really small screws and threaded fasteners. We developed it for a large eye glasses mfg. years back to eliminate their warranty claims. on threaded fasteners up to things you'd use a 3/8" wratchet on, I'd use a 243 medium strength blue threadlocker.

Please don't ever use a red threadlocker on any hand held firearm of any sort.

GunTite is not Loctite. GunTite seems to be a threadlocker of some sort. Loctite is a brand name which is trademarked. Loctite manufactures anaerobic threadlocking products.

Dirty

jeepster09
05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Team-

I'm a Loctite Factory Rep.

You won't find the low strength purple 222 at your local Auto Shack or Napa store. Any Bearing house like a Motion Industries, Applied Industrial Technologies, Grainger, Fastenal, can get it for you overnight if they already don't have it on the shelves.

I'd feel comfortable using 222 (low-strength purple threadlocker) on the really small screws and threaded fasteners. We developed it for a large eye glasses mfg. years back to eliminate their warranty claims. on threaded fasteners up to things you'd use a 3/8" wratchet on, I'd use a 243 medium strength blue threadlocker.

Please don't ever use a red threadlocker on any hand held firearm of any sort.

GunTite is not Loctite. GunTite seems to be a threadlocker of some sort. Loctite is a brand name which is trademarked. Loctite manufactures anaerobic threadlocking products.

Dirty

I am surprised that working for Loctite you don't mention the type MADE for screws and also the fact that red MUST use heat to remove....kinda like a FOREVER loctite for most LARGER bolts.

jeepster09
05-23-2012, 03:26 PM
P.S.

I have had great success using regular old nail polish for gun screws and scope mounting for years. It is cheap and wife usually don't miss a dab taken.

dirty_sanchez
05-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Good point Jeepster.

Red anaerobic threadlockers may require heat to soften the thermoset plastic enough that the threaded fastener can be removed.

The product you posted is a retail product. I work for Loctite Industrial and like a slew of other Loctite retail products, this is the first I've ever seen of this product.

I hate to refer to another site, but here's a link to a thread I've been moderating for a good while-a good read if you have half an hour to kill and want to learn a thing or two about machinery adhesives:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265016

Dirty

Bawanna
05-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm a nail polish user myself for most stuff. Like tiny rubber orings for grip screws, occasionally use the weaker Loktites.

Dirty, I can't wait to tell everyone I know that I know somebody that works for Loctite. I used to work in an industrial supply warehouse and knew lots of factory reps, was kind of cool.

Turns out the Duff Norton rep was a gun guy and is now a world class stockmaker, worked for Kimber for awhile as a stock designer I believe. Lost contact with him over the years.

Haven't seen you round lately neither, hope your not just lurking all the time.

dirty_sanchez
05-23-2012, 04:05 PM
It's easy for me to lurk in the shadows on gun boards, now put me on a dirt bike board and it's a different story.

Feel free to delete that link if it's not appropriate. No hard feelings. There's just too much meaty information there to rehash over here.

Dirty

Tinman507
05-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm a proponent of nail polish as well.

http://www.mediaandsociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/acrylic-nails-designs2.jpg

getsome
05-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Them are right purdy there Tin...Does it hurt when you pick your nose?...:D

dirty_sanchez
05-23-2012, 04:27 PM

http://www.mediaandsociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/acrylic-nails-designs2.jpg

DUDE!

Cut your fingernails!

They're creeping me out!

Dirty

Tinman507
05-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Not when picking my nose, but I had an urgent male itch issue and totally forgot.
OUCH!

pitandkahr
05-23-2012, 04:55 PM
ROFL...So many comments...LOL

However, here is what I picked up from the range...

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac353/alohareptiles/Misc/photo-026.jpg

skiflydive
05-23-2012, 06:57 PM

I notice she left the nose picking fingers unadorned...

Tinman507
05-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Don't want to be slowed down when digging for gold.

dirty_sanchez
05-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Hope they don't behave like one of those chinese finger locking handcuff things once you get that bugger hook shoved knuckle deep-that'd be tough to 'splain away at the emergency room.

Tinman507
05-24-2012, 04:38 AM
Worse would be explaining the whole deal in the holding cell down at the local precinct.