PDA

View Full Version : P-40 Question

thinktwice
05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
I ask you guys about purchasing a P-40 a while back, I got a great deal, and it runs great. You guys were very helpful, and I am really happy I did buy the gun. But I have another question. I have been in several gun stores since I bought this one, and looked at some of the P-40's. On the ones at the gun stores the grip seems to be quite a bit longer. My P-40's grip is almost the same length as my CM-9. Anyone know why mine would have a shorter grip. I am not complaining It actually conceals better. I really haven't seen another one like it with the short grip. Any help would be great, and thanks. Also you don't see too much on the forums about the P-40. Most everything is about the Pm-9, CW's and CM's. I guess thats because they are the most popular and for sure the best sellers, so I may have answered my own question there huh.

jocko
05-29-2012, 05:04 PM
u did not mention if u bought ur P40 new our used... If it was new then it should hold 6 in the magazine kand one in the chamber. If it holds r5 in the magazine then the gun has been "coverted". Kahr did not do it, if u bought it new lately. They at one time made some covert kahrs back some time ago and I am not sure if they did it to the P40. Some industrious members with good skills have made P40 coverts with a grip that will be very close to the cm9 series which is 6 rounds in the magazine.

If you hav ethat covert P40, IMO u got a real dandy gun there...

thinktwice
05-29-2012, 06:07 PM
jocko.. I bought it used but it's like new. I can't get but 5 rounds in the mag that fits flush. But the other mag that came with it holds 7 plus one in the chamber. If the gun has been converted they did an excellent job because the grip shows no sign of a conversion or marks or anything. The only thing I can think of if it's not a covert model is maybe it came with a PM- 40 frame. I don't even know if that would work. But like I said the frame shows no sign of any kind of alteration. Maybe someone else could help us figure this out. Thanks Again

jocko
05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
naw no way kahr sent it out with a PM40 frame, it would look funny up by the dust cover area.. someone has done a covert on it or u can take that serial number and go to glock talk and hit on kahr section and it will bring up serial umbers and it should give u some indication when that gun was made. quite possably it could have come from kahr as a covert. Acvtually the 7 round mag could have bene the extra magazine that comes with the P series, so what I am guessing is that someone did the covert mod to the P9

a callto kahr will tell u also if they madethatin acovert. other than knowing, WHO CARES, u got a dandy covert. Agood covert job would not show any mod work. I am not sure when kahr made their limited amount of coverts that they maybe also did the covert mod to the guns in house. Making a mold for a covert and then no longer selling it or listng it would have been a very expensive operation.Just sayin.

OKI, kahr did make the P40 in a covert, startingbackin 2001 and from some of the info on the kahr serial numbers up until 2005. I would thinkmayber ur serial numbers might fall within that range,u can check that on the glock talk forum underr kahr. My guess is u might have a factory covert P40

thinktwice
05-29-2012, 08:26 PM
jocko I did some research and Kahr did make the P-40 Covert but not sure what year. Probably like you said in 2001. I went to one of the Gun sites that sells on line (I think it was Guns America) Someone there had one for sale and it was the P-40 Covert with 2 5 round magazines. I also copied this quote from the Firing Line Forum " For those unaware, the covert version is basically a PM40 with a 1/2" longer barrel, (or a P40 with a PM grip.) end quote. I don't know if that guy knows what he is talking about, but I am going to take your advice and go to the Glock forum and see what I can find out. I hope it turns out to be a "Covert Model" but either way I am happy with it. Thanks

sharpetop
06-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I've heard of a few folks cutting of a portion of the grip to make a P40 or P9 a home made "Covert" model. A guy with some decent skills could cut and sand a plastic grip to nearly factory perfection.