PDA

View Full Version : I want a DEagle!

MO_Soldier
06-03-2012, 11:02 AM
I've really just started considering buying one of these. Do my fellow forum members have any advice for or against it, or it in any particular configuration?
I really want the .50AE. I read that there is a .357 and a .44 conversion for it too. And that the .44 only takes a barrel and mag swap. Something I want to do with a glock 22 as well

Bawanna
06-03-2012, 11:35 AM
I've wanted the 50AE as long as they been out as well. They are a great gun, I saw them at an NRA show when they first came out in 357. Marketing genius that was. Sell a bunch of 357's and then come out with a 44, sell a bunch of those and then come out with a conversion kit.
Smart planning.

The 44 might be a practical caliber but it is a huge huge gun. Even on a hiking or hunting trek it would be like taking the anchor from your boat along just cause.

That being said I'd still love to get a 50AE just cause. I've never shot one so I can't say nothing about how it would shoot.

Now that it's under Kahrs umbrella, I want one even more.

I know I'm absolutely insanely in love my my Desert Eagle 1911G. It's the most accurate shooting 1911 I got right now, well theres one or two others that are close but that thing consistently is a tack driver.

MO_Soldier
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
That brings me to another point. I eventually want a 1911, but I just heard of these DE 1911s today.

Whats the story on those.

Heres a quick wishlist of mine in no particular order:
Desert Eagle 50AE + conversion barrels
Duty glock + conversion barrels
1911(im more of a tactical guy...so I have a hard time wanting to buy the classic looking ones, even though they're eye candy)
A Kimber
A sig sauer

That's about it for pistols.
The Kimber and sigs could even drop off and I probably wouldn't miss them.

Bawanna
06-03-2012, 01:26 PM
The DE 1911 might be right up your alley. It has some of the tactical eye candy, front slide serrations, a beaver tail, extended thumb safety, decent sights etc.
I can't put my finger on it but it feels slimmer through the beavertail area. I don't see it but it feels slimmer.
Grips are standard thickness, all looks the same just feels different.

Boy does it shoot though. I'm pondering getting another one if for no other reason than to see if it's just a fluke.

Define duty Glock. What does that look like?

MO_Soldier
06-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Oh...just duty sized. Glock 22 or 23 + the 9mm and .357 barrels. Hell, 3 pistols for less than the cost of 2! I was just distinguishing that the glock(or even M&P yet, will be full size. Because my kahr is just simply perfect for ccw) Of course I'd wanna put a tac light/laser combo on the rail too.

That DE 1911 sounds nice! I will look up pictures.
As for the DEagle, i've been looking at a lot of pictures today. I think I want the gold or shiny chrome. I figure outrageous size should only be met with outrageous looks...ie a gold gun! Haha

Longitude Zero
06-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I have fired the 357, 44, and 50AE Desert Eagles. Nobody with 2 or more brains cells would call them practical as they are not. I know mountain guides that thought the could hump one in the bush. Everyone has put them in the gunsafe as too heavy and cumbersome.

As a gee whiz looky what I got then go for it.

kb2wji
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
If you get one, make sure its a .50. Getting a .44 Desert Eagle is like getting a V6 Mustang. With an automatic transmission.

TheTman
06-03-2012, 03:45 PM
If I were going with a .50, I think I'd go with the S&W 500. Only 5 shots but quite a bit more FPE delivered. The S&W 4" barrel is a bit lighter too than the DE 50. The S&W would be the sidearm I'd want in big bear country. The .460 isn't a bad sidearm either. I believe it too delivers more FPE than the .50AE.
I do have to admit the DE 50 is one bad a$$ looking s.o.b. and would like to have one, just for a look what I have type of deal.

MO_Soldier
06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Well im a planning type of person. It'll be years before I buy this type of gun. But I really got into researching them today. As for practicality, I dont plan on it. Will I carry it on my hip...yes. But for such an impractical gun, I will have to have a lot of extra money to waste lol.

jocko
06-03-2012, 04:55 PM
IMO ur right, it is about as practical as T!ts on a bore but again, wegun owners are not always practical buyers either. Impulse comes into play alot.

jeepster09
06-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I had 2 of them and would NOT own another....
The one in the picture was a 44 and trouble free. I had problems with my .50 and total lack of ANY CUSTOMER service. It had bad barell and was jacked around for about a year and finally dumped it at a loss with bad barell considering I could not get a replacement. :86:

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_0983.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_0982.jpg

jeepster09
06-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Picture of bad barell: :mad:

Bawanna
06-03-2012, 07:21 PM
If I were going with a .50, I think I'd go with the S&W 500. Only 5 shots but quite a bit more FPE delivered. The S&W 4" barrel is a bit lighter too than the DE 50. The S&W would be the sidearm I'd want in big bear country. The .460 isn't a bad sidearm either. I believe it too delivers more FPE than the .50AE.
I do have to admit the DE 50 is one bad a$$ looking s.o.b. and would like to have one, just for a look what I have type of deal.

If you get to considering the 500 or the 460, go 460 for sure. You can then shoot 45 Colt, 454 Casull, or 460. With the 500 you only got one choice and it can be bloody expensive and hard to find at times.

45 Colt ain't cheap but it's not near as bad and easier to find although not always.

Be real tame to shoot in a big ole Smith too.

OldLincoln
06-03-2012, 08:47 PM
And don't forget the turret on wheels to carry that rock around. I figgure I'd re-purpose a golf bag carrier and pull it behind me when I go out for a walk. Have it spring rigged to pop-up into firing position right out of a bag. Mount one of those oversized drivers on the end so nobody can tell it a DE.

jeepster09
06-04-2012, 06:25 AM
+1 on 460

MO_Soldier
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Ok...give me more info on this 460. I know nothing about it...never even heard of it. So I can't google "460" and get any productive results lol.

jeepster09
06-04-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.gunblast.com/SW460XVR.htm

Bawanna
06-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Not really apples and apples as the 460 is an X frame Smith and Wesson Revolver. It's huge just like the Desert Eagle.

When they first came out my son encountered a fella shooting one off a wooden bench at a range/shop near his school.

They had to keep wetting it down so it wouldn't catch on fire. Kind of rough sawed almost like cedar sheeting. Not a great bench top material.
The guy was shooting accurately at 100 yards and said it was sighted for 200.

I did not witness this first hand but my son was pretty impressed.

warbird1
06-25-2012, 09:37 AM
I have the DE1911 on layaway and love my M&P 45c.

Jeepster....Those are some fine looking grips.

ksujedi
08-11-2012, 08:32 AM
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/ksujedi/53460b54.jpg

My two Deagle's. The black is a Mk. VII in 357, the matte chrome is a Mk. XIX in 50ae. Had another black 50ae for a short time before finding the matte chrome one. Never had a 44, it's on my want list. I've shot the S&W 460xvr. Here are my thoughts on it all.....

All depends on what you want them for. Are you wanting a practical large bore high power gun for deer and other game hunting? Get the 460xvr. With the longer barrel, slightly smaller slug however with the higher velocity, gets a much flatter trajectory and better range for taking game at medium to not overly long distances for pistol hunting. I take my 50ae along with me when I go deer hunting, but as a sidearm backup in case a close opportunity presents itself. I would not try to take a deer with it more than about 50 yards away, and that's even pushing it. Although I could likely get a hit at that distance or a little more, it would have a high likelihood of not being a very clean hit. I did have a deer once about 10 yards away from me, perfect range to try it out and say that I had taken it with a handgun, unfortunately it was on the wrong side of a creek on non-hunting ground. So never taken a shot with it for game, but always take it along just in case. And that being said, it's not bad to carry around unless I suppose you're really small or weak, in which case, maybe a gun like this isn't for you!

Now, if you're wanting these things for just big booming sh*t eating grin factor at the range or blowing up reactive targets, that's what mine are mostly for, and for that, they are wonderful! Very little else brings an ear to ear grin to new and experienced shooters. At least for me, they've been very reliable, if the right ammo is used. The 357 can be a little picky, I found that Magtech 357 worked great, but I reload everything for both of them now, and my loads don't miss a beat. The 357 is very controllable, with as big and heavy as the gun is, and as much of the energy that's taken up in recoil, after the shooter gets over the mental block of it being big, it really doesn't kick more than a 1911 or a plastic frame 9mm. You do have to have a firm grip on it. In either caliber if you limp wrist it and let motion of your hands/wrists/forearms absorb too much of the recoil, it will jam, gotta have a nice manly grip. That's my usual problem when handing either to an inexperienced shooter who's a little timid, they'll jam the first few rounds, I tell them to man up, and it's smooth sailing from there.

The 50ae is a nice step up, can definitely feel the increased power, but again, because of the size and weight, it's still very controllable. Limp wristing is a problem again, but I can shoot it one handed, standing off hand, and it works great and can usually hit a metal gong at 25 yards. If you're going for just one, and just for fun sake, I say go big or go home, get the 50. In any case for any of the calibers, I highly recommend reloading so that you can shoot it care free without worrying about the cost.

Back to the S&W, like I said I've shot the 460, and for hunting, would recommend it for it's superior ballistics, however I myself want the 500. The S&W is a whole different beast to shoot. Being a revolver without the slide action to take up recoil, it hits you like a punch in the chest from the shockwave, sounds unpleasant, but for someone who likes a big boom, it's dang near erotic. Again, for mostly the joy of the boom, I want the 500 just cause it's the biggest baddest a$$ thing out there.