PDA

View Full Version : Browning A5 Hunter

The Hustler
06-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm sure many of you have seen the new Browning A5s.

http://www.browning.com/library/infonews/detail.asp?id=372

Do you think the Hunter model is acceptable for us to use in Zoot Shooters or can it be made to be? I haven't seen one in person and even if I did, I don't know enough about the originals to compare.

Bawanna
06-12-2012, 11:55 AM
If the 10 foot rule applies I'd say it should work. Sure looks like the old A5's I've seen. Can't say on specific details without seeing one. Should be interesting.

jlottmc
06-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't see any reason it wouldn't be. They allow long barreled Tommy's right? Might have to dress up the recoil pad, but then again 10' and all, should work.

AJBert
06-12-2012, 07:47 PM
The new A-5 slightly resembles the previous version to me, just looking at the pics. The humpback is there but not nearly as prominent on the old version. My brother has two of them (one SHOULD have been MINE!!!) and I've seen enough of them recently to see the differences.

I'll go out on a limb and say these newer versions will not meet the requirements for the Zoot Shooters, but I'm just guessing. Contact them and see what they say?

You can try to find a Remington Mod 11, built basically to the exact same specs as the A-5 with permission from Browning and the use of their patents at the time. Not sure what the price difference between the two are, though.

The Hustler
06-13-2012, 04:31 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say these newer versions will not meet the requirements for the Zoot Shooters, but I'm just guessing. Contact them and see what they say?

The Zoot Shooters posted the question. We haven't seen one in person yet. I wanted your opinions on the matter.

I guess there's no reason for me to be anonymous. I have a signature now...

Bawanna
06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
The Zoot Shooters posted the question. We haven't seen one in person yet. I wanted your opinions on the matter.

I guess there's no reason for me to be anonymous. I have a signature now...

I thought everybody knew who you were. Perhaps not those who have recently joined us.

DeaconKC
06-13-2012, 08:55 PM
If it passes the 10 foot rule, why not? We have aluminum frames Thompsons and Rossi 92s, 1911s built by companies that didn't exist 20 years ago, etc.

dougdeb
06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
I think I've got to agree with Deacon. If it passes the 10' rule (and from the photos it should), then it should qualify.

Then again, my clud (Copicut) doesn't shoot shotguns :( so...

And I still need to send in my payment to AZSA...oops...knew I was forgetting something..

Aloha,
Doug

The Hustler
06-14-2012, 01:01 PM
I thought everybody knew who you were. Perhaps not those who have recently joined us.

Totally my bad. That's what I get for assuming all of the time. Can't tell you how often it happens at my day job...

Honestly, we want the A5 to work for Zoot Shooters but we don't want to allow it if it's incorrect. We think it would be sweet to add another gun to the sport that people can buy new.

dougdeb
06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
I guess the question to ask, is what about it do we think would make it incorrect.

Race Bannon
06-25-2012, 08:22 PM
I think the only problem with the new A5 is the rib and maybe the butt stock w recoil pad. Other than that it looks great. I don't recall vent ribs 1920 to 1950 shotguns. I think they became popular in the late 50s. Butt stock recoil pads, i don't know. I have Win Model 12 with a cut down barrel, polychoke, and recoil pad. I've got to date the polychoke and determine if its pre 1950.

DeaconKC
07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I had some time today so i called Browning. The dimensions are identical, the only difference being the magazine cutoff is no longer on the left side of the receiver.

The Hustler
07-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I had some time today so i called Browning. The dimensions are identical, the only difference being the magazine cutoff is no longer on the left side of the receiver.

Did you happen to mention the reason for your inquiry???

DeaconKC
07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Sure did Boss! They were really impressed and the guy was looking up our site while we were on the phone. Looks like we will be very close on the 10' rule due to the cutoff.

Bawanna
07-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I gotta work on thinking up some classy handle so I can be a Zoot Shooter too.

Buddy used to have a solid oak wheelchair with leather strap on the wooden spoke wheels. Not sure he still has it, probably worth a ton.

It was scary looking as you'd tip over forward rather than backwards in the thing.

Sure couldn't have been pleasant to be a derelict back in the day.

I'm kind of thinking Mad Dog something, kind of manly sounding ya know.

DeaconKC
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
How about "Cap'n B"? Or maybe "Wheels"?

Bawanna
07-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Wheels kind of has a nice ring to it don't it? Guess next I better find me a Fedora.

I tinkered with my Tommy a little last night and worked on the mag release a bit. I modified it to accept GI unaltered mags, yesterday I modified the bottom so I could insert the mag without manipulating the mag release.

Slides by much easier. Give her another trial run in a couple weeks.

Wheels

Race Bannon
07-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Sure did Boss! They were really impressed and the guy was looking up our site while we were on the phone. Looks like we will be very close on the 10' rule due to the cutoff.

Good to know, the new A5 might be an outstanding option for customization.

The Hustler
07-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Did you catch the person's name at Browning?

DeaconKC
07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Nope, he was at their Customer Service Center.