PDA

View Full Version : CW45 and reloads

Tennjed
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Hello I am new here and I considering getting a CW45 and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on who it runs with reloads. I currently shoot cast lead only. My 45 load is a 230gr RN behind 5.8grs of Unique.

Of course I can alter the load but I do want to stick with lead cast.

Anyone have any luck with reloads and CW45?

Longitude Zero
06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Never used reloads in my CW45. Fact is I am not fond of reloads in any semi auto.

Tennjed
06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Do you mind if I ask why you do not like them in autos? I have had great success in many different auto

Longitude Zero
06-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Poor quality crimping, inconsistency in accuracy and velocities. Almost all pistol reloads are for plinking and the need to get the price of shooting down to an area of affordability. Most rifle loaders excercise extreme care in their loads. My experience with handgun reloads is quantity over quality.

Catostrophic kabooms virtually never happen with factory ammo. Reloads are kabooms waiting to happen. There are really only two kinds of reloaders those that have had an overcharge kaboom and those that will.

MW surveyor
06-14-2012, 02:43 PM
I don't have a CW45 but I do use my reloads in my 1911, CZ 9mm and CW9. In fact after the first 75 rounds of factory FMJ in my 1911 and in my CW9, lead is the only thing they've had with very good results.

There are a few here that do use their reloads with the CW45 and they should be along shortly.

I would say to do a plunk test first as your CW45 might like a shorter (or longer) OAL than your other 45s.

DLButler
06-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Reloads are all I shoot in my CW45 and CM9. The 45 I use 4gr of Bullseye under 230gr hardcast and Berry's. I haven't had any real problems once I got the length for the cast figured out. I have 1900 45ACP on hand at the moment. I also have 2000 rounds of 9mm loaded and ready to go.

MW surveyor
06-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Poor quality crimping, inconsistency in accuracy and velocities. Almost all pistol reloads are for plinking and the need to get the price of shooting down to an area of affordability. Most rifle loaders excercise extreme care in their loads. My experience with handgun reloads is quantity over quality.

Catostrophic kabooms virtually never happen with factory ammo. Reloads are kabooms waiting to happen. There are really only two kinds of reloaders those that have had an overcharge kaboom and those that will.

Those are pretty broad statements. I reload for my pistols and I exercise extreme caution during my reloading operations for my peace of mind and health!

Longitude Zero
06-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Broad statements maybe so, or maybe not it all. It really depends upon your worldview. I know folks who will spend 8 hours loading 50 rounds of rifle ammo. They want each cartridge to vary by no more than 1% to all the others.

When they reload pistol ammo it is crank them out as fast as possible. The only real reason to reload hangun ammo is to shoot more for less. Handgun hunters excepted.

If the cost of a reload was 90% or more of the cost of new, reloading would be the province of ?????. When I can get quality white box factory ammo for only pennies more than reloads then reloads make ZERO economic sense for me. My time is more valuable than that. I see it as mostly an issue of economics nothing more nothing less.

TheTman
06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I believe it voids the warranty to shoot reloads in a Kahr. I've had good luck with them in my 1911's, and revolvers. I shoot mostly WWB for practice, I don't think they are much more expensive than shooting reloads, especially if you count the time spent reloading. I only have single stage press, so takes me longer than those with the nice Dillon presses that can crank out a bunch if just a few minutes. I've been fortunate enough not to have any kabooms, but I did have a squib reload in my .44 magnum. Somehow I didn't get the powder in before I seated the bullet.

MW surveyor
06-14-2012, 03:24 PM
So as to return this thread to the original OP's post, I'll make only one more comment to your last post Longitude Zero then that's it for me.

If my reloads cost in the range of 90% of cheap white box; I'd continue to reload, but they don't cost 90%. For the 45 ACP my cost per round is right at 12.5 cents per round or $6.25 per 50 for my target loads. These shoot better and are more accurate than factory any day of the week. Cheapest 45 ACP factory around here is running near $20.00 per 50 with tax or 40 cents per round. So yeah the economy of scale for my rounds is greater than a "few pennies". My reloads that mimic my carry ammo cost 20 cents per round. Care to guess how much I save there? (I'll tell you any way, 80 cents.)

Remember, this is a hobby for me and not a major factor in my life. Plus, I have the time to do it. Better than watching TV that's for sure.

thetmanski - don't ask, don't tell:rolleyes:

Tennjed
06-14-2012, 03:36 PM
I don't have a CW45 but I do use my reloads in my 1911, CZ 9mm and CW9. In fact after the first 75 rounds of factory FMJ in my 1911 and in my CW9, lead is the only thing they've had with very good results.

There are a few here that do use their reloads with the CW45 and they should be along shortly.

I would say to do a plunk test first as your CW45 might like a shorter (or longer) OAL than your other 45s.

My reloads are every bit as consistent and accurate as your basic shelf plinking factory load. They ones load for SD are every bit as good as the top of the line factory. I assume most competitive handgun shooters reload which should say something about consistent and accuracy.

As far as kabooms go. Say every reloader will have one is like saying every shooter is a negligent discharge waiting to happen. If you are careful neither will happen. I bet quite a few more ND happen than kabooms. Why because shooters are not careful.

You are implying that all reloaders are not careful. No offense but that is an inaccurate statement.

Have you had your negligent discharge yet? If not watch out because you will

Longitude Zero
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
I assume most competitive handgun shooters reload which should say something about consistent and accuracy.

Have you had your negligent discharge yet? If not watch out because you will

Nope most competitive shooters have carefully drafted factory ammo donated or sold at or below cost. Fact.

I hope you never have reloads in your weapon during a self defense shoot. It virtually guarantess an issue that could be intelligently avoided.

Nope not yet it will probably happen the day after your gun goes kaboom.

For those that reload then good for you. I did many moons ago but once it no longer became a financial necessity then no more for me. I would rather spend time actually at the range than pumping the handle of a reloader.

Tennjed
06-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Nope most competitive shooters have carefully drafted factory ammo donated or sold at or below cost. Fact.

I hope you never have reloads in your weapon during a self defense shoot. It virtually guarantess an issue that could be intelligently avoided.

Nope not yet it will probably happen the day after your gun goes kaboom.

For those that reload then good for you. I did many moons ago but once it no longer became a financial necessity then no more for me. I would rather spend time actually at the range than pumping the handle of a reloader.

Professional shooters may have factory supplied ammo, but are you saying the average shooter that shoots weekend competition is being supplied ammo by the factory? I may be wrong but I find that hard to believe? I know a few people who shoot competitions in the surrounding few states and everyone of them reload.

Also I did not completely understand your statement about the SD reloads. If you are implying that it could land you in trouble with a prosecutor, again you are (IMHO) incorrect. I know that is Internet folklore but I would be very suprised if you can show me one actual case of someone using reloads in a SD situation that was prosecuted for it. I doubt you can.
No offense but I find it odd that you would open a thread that had a specific question and not have any input to that question, only misinformation and folklore. Are you a competitive troller? Do you handcraft your on trolling remarks or are they supplied by factory trolling companies?

Thanks to everyone that answered my question.

ez9
06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
reloads are great, reloads are great!

Longitude Zero
06-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Tennjed it is not wise to take about trolls with a miniscule post count, yours is currently (4). As to criminal cases I have been in court when it has been brought up. No convictions but it introduces an issue that could/should be avoided.

I run with guys that shoot GSSF/PPC/IDPA/IPSC matches at the rate of 8-10 a year and all use factory boxed ammo, no reloads.

In civil cases in the 80's and 90's it was a huge issue. If you care to enlighten yourself about SD shootings ALL the top flight instructors will tell you to use the ammo the local LEO's use and NOT reloads. I wonder why all the experts say that???

You posited a question. I expressed my opinion. If you do not like mine or anybodies thoughts you can ignore them or just get over points you do not like.

You seem to like the word troll a lot. Maybe you see one in your mirror?

FireMoose
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
my SD reloads have been throughly tested by me so i know exactly how they will function. have been tweaked to increased accuracy to reduce the risk of a stray bullet hitting a bystnder. i feared for my life.

John K
06-14-2012, 04:53 PM
I had a couple hundred cast SWC that my 1911 used to love. I tried to hand cycle a mag through my CW45, the first round loads fine, but when I rack the slide it locks up ~1/4" out of battery because the brass of the "fired" round hangs up on the SWC "step" of the next round in the magazine. If I drop the mag it ejects fine.

I'm going to order a RN mold in the next few weeks and give that a try.

John

Tennjed
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Seems like it would be a fair amount of documented cases if it was a huge deal in the 80s and 90s but it seems that no such proof exist just talk. Can you provide links from actual cases? I doubt you can and I feel comfortable in my personal research which had failed to show any references at all to reloads in any SD case.

I asked originally if anyone had any experience with reloads in the CW45. You obviously have not but felt the need to post. Regardless of post count I find that questionable.

Did you get such a high post count by commenting threads you have no experience with?

I am sorry but I asked a question and then you intentionally bash reloading by implying that reloaders were unsafe and all would eventually have a kaboom. Not very helpful unless your opinion is accurate, which it is not. Opinions which are a blatant exaggeration or false with the intent to stir up post or emotions is trolling.

The vast majority of reloaders will never experience a kaboom. Fact

Most reloaders can and do dupilcate the equivalent factory loads for their purpose. Either competition or plinking. Fact

No person has ever been prosecuted in a SD case because of reloads or was it a determining factor in the outcome. Fact

Sorry to be rude my first day here and you have quite a few more post than me but that does not change facts

Longitude Zero
06-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Off to other pursuits. You have become tiresome. I have wasted enough time on you.

Tennjed
06-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Off to other pursuits. You have become tiresome. I have wasted enough time on you.

:yo:

KennyD
06-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Long time lurker, first time to post -

I have a CW45 that I shoot reloads in almost exclusively. When new, I shot 100 rounds of factory Remington 230 FMJ to break it in. Before I shot anything, I tried to maunually cycle some 185 grain FMJSWC match loads through it...No way! But, after 100+ round nose factory stuff, it will take almost anything I try.

I have a good friend who is a former 45 Match shooter do all my reloads. I trust him as much or more than factory loads. The bulk of my plinking loads are the Ranier 230 grain RN copper plated "Lead Safe" bullets with 5.6 grains of Unique. He also loads me the 185 grain FMJSWC, and 200 grain lead SWC. Since the barrel on the CW pistol is not the Lothar Walther match version, it shoots the lead bullets fine.

Current daily carry round is the Winchester PDX1 230 grain, only because we haven't decided what defensive reload to use. Long ago, I think we were using a 200 grain hornady hollow point with 7.5 grains of Unique in a Combat Commander. When I decide the load, I will use new brass rather than reloaded brass for daily carry.

Tennjed
06-14-2012, 07:50 PM
I am not too familiar with Kahr in general. Is it correct that only the CW series have conventional rifling? Do the other models see more leading?

DLButler
06-15-2012, 02:49 AM
Kahr has both polygonal and standard rifling, it depends upon the gun. You are not supposed to use lead in polygonal due to high leading. I have read others that do use lead in them without problems but they do a good clean after firing. The CW and CM series are all standard rifling.