PDA

View Full Version : Ammo questions

Lentevan
06-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Just wondering what everyone that shoots 9mm uses at the range, and what you all keep in it for SD. Also where do you buy your bulk from. I've been using federal white box 115 grain fmj's for break in, haven't settled yet on a SD round.

espresso
06-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Here's a thread with links to places to get SD ammo, some in bulk too. click (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11288&page=2)

You'll get lots of different opinions on SD ammo.
If it feeds in my gun and is from a reputable manufacturer, I'm good with using it.

I have Speer 124 gr JHP standard pressure in my gun now.

(http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11288&page=2)

Markis82
06-17-2012, 07:56 PM
I assume you mean Winchester White Box. Anyway, for the range I use whatever is cheapest at Walmart, as long as it has brass cases for my Kahr. It usually is either WWB or Federal 100 round value pack. Sometimes I can find the Remington UMC 250 round pack for $55. For my Glock I'll use anything. For an SD round, I use Winchester Ranger T-series 124gr +P in all my 9mm SD pistols.

mser
06-17-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm not real picky on my range ammunition as long as it's reliable and brass cased. I've shot WWB, Federal Champion, PMC Bronze, Blazer Brass, Estate and Aguila.

My preferred SD round is the Speer 124 grain +P GDHP for all of my 9MM pistols.

TheTman
06-17-2012, 09:16 PM
I use a lot of WWB at the range, for 9mm, .40 and .45. I've been using Hydra-Shok 9mm 124gr for SD.

chrish
06-17-2012, 11:30 PM
If I am plinking solely for fun, I will shoot just about anything I can find cheap...blazer alum, wwb, rem umc, amer eagle, you name it. Typically in 115gr.

But, carry and home sd is strictly 147gr PDX1 winchester or 147 winchester ranger ra9b. There are other good 147 sd rounds out there from other manufacturers also. I dont shoot +p anything. Dont believe in it, dont believe its necessary with modern 147 sd rounds and its just no fun to shoot during a long range excursion.

If i am at the range doing sd training/shooting i shoot the closest 147gr cheap round to my carry round. I have currently stocked up on winchester superx 147gr. Its about as cheap as the wwb 115 and way cheaper than the wwb 147.

I do my bulk ordering from sgammo.com.

southsound
06-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Please be gentle - first post but lurking since I got the Kahr bug some time ago...

My CM9 is due at my dealer on Tuesday but I will use the same combination of ammo that I currently use in our two S&W M7P 9C's - Speer Gold Dot 124gr SBHP +P defensive rounds and Speer 115gr Lawman rounds for the range. Speer has been able to make the two very different rounds feel almost identical when shooting so you don't have to spend as much to gain proficiency that will carry over to your defensive rounds.

Not to take my post off-topic but I am really impressed with the quality of this forum. There is a great deal of expertise that is readily shared with all who want to make the most of their Kahr experience.

Lentevan
06-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Espresso, it's definitely a white box with federal stamped all over it not winchester, 50rd fmj 115 grain.

Southsound, I lurked here a while too and fully agree that this place can answer any question that could possibly come up. Plus a few tips and tricks to start with.

I'm starting to realize walmart is about the cheapest place to get plinking ammo so will probably do so. Next trip for ammo I'll probably pick up some sd stuff to try out. No range here so it's a while box our nothing.

titus1971
06-18-2012, 08:43 AM
+1 on the Speer 124 grain +P GDHP
It's a tad snappier than the standard pressure but not so much it negates the advantages

fisterkev
06-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Winchester White Box at the range, Hornady Critical Defense or TAP for carry.

In my other 9mm guns this combination has been stellar through thousands of rounds. My P9 is relatively new but no malfunctions so far. And I LOVE the reduced recoil of the Hornady rounds. My groups are much better with them.

I put more value in shot placement than the minutae of how exactly the wound cavity develops. Put it in the right spot and any decent SD ammo will work.

RxDoc
06-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Winchester WB at the range, and CorBon 115gr DPX +P for SD.

Sage
06-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Since I carry Speer Gold Dot 147gr I always practice with Speer Lawman because they have the same ballistics. If I'm outdoors just plinking around and throwing lead I use just about anything that's cheap.

gm412
06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Federal from walmart at the range. Federal 147 HST protection round.

ActAppalled
06-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Federal from walmart at the range. Federal 147 HST protection round.

How has the HST been functioning for you. I'm considering the 147 as my carry round but I'm worried slightly about the velocity from a shorter barrel (CW9). The reports I've seen on it have been very positive.

chrish
06-23-2012, 04:17 PM
@ActAppalled ... I haven't shot the HST, but FWIW on the 147gr check out the Winchester PDX1 as well, tests are also positive, reliability for me in both my P9 and TP9 has been perfect, no issues. That being said, at $1/round I can only claim around 100 rounds (collectively on both guns) downrange.

ActAppalled
06-23-2012, 05:11 PM
ChrisH,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been looking through a bunch of tests on defensive 9mm rounds and the HST seems to perform very well. Most of the testing however has been through 4" plus barrels. I'm very new to this so I may be over thinking things, especially having a CW9 and only going down to a 3 1/2" barrel. The other plus to the HST is that I've been able to find it for around 50 cents a round.

Charlie
06-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Try to match your plinking ammo to your carry ammo. Recoil, and point of impact all will vary from standard vel. stuff to +p s.d. ammo. If you choose a 147 grn. round for you carry ammo then pratice with 147 gr. f.m.j.

chrish
06-24-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm running the 147 PDX1 thru a 3.5" barrel, not sure what the drop in velocity is, but there are calculators out there that will get it close enough. Google should produce a pile of them.

Charlie, great tip, I do just that. Carry PDX1 and train w/ FMJ WWB/SuperX 147 rounds. They are not exactly the same on paper, but feel the same. It's always a good idea to practice w/ what you carry, makes everything consistent. I do plink from time to time w/ cheapo 115, but I always end a range session w/ 50-100 147 of some flavor.