PDA

View Full Version : Slack Instructor....

PYROhafe
07-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Obtaining my CWP (thats what we call it here in SC, i know its different in other states) is something ive decided to take very seriously. I have been doing my best to study laws, and gun safety rules, basically anything I can before I even attend the class. I did my research and found a NRA certified school, and I signed up for the best class I could find in the area. I understand that carrying a gun is something that should be taken very seriously, and you should be well aware of your local laws, and the possible consequences of having to use that gun.
Well..... a guy I work with informed that over the last weekend he had what he called a "permit party" where several people ( I think he said 26)had the instructor come to them, and do the test at their house. Now this sounded like an awesome thing until he informed me that everyone was allowed to cheat on the written test, and only required to fire 10 shots into the target, and it was "no big deal" if you missed (you could just keep trying until you manged to get all 10 in a decent center group) firing the gun "gansta style" was fine too. Now I dont know if Im just over reacting to this or not, but I feel like the instructor has not just cheated them, but has cheated the entire gun carrying community by allowing these people to breeze through the class without taking any of it seriously, and without learning a darn thing!
Is this something I should be worried about reporting to a proper authority or... am I just being stupid about it?
Sorry for the ramble, just had to get that off my chest, and I knew you guys (and gals) would give me some idea of what to do.... either chill out, or act on my feelings.

jocko
07-13-2012, 06:20 PM
IMO chill out, maybe go to the permit party and see if ur buddyt did not over exagerate the thing and if not, u can still gain some good knowledge, even though the instructor is a ****.. Just sayin..

yqtszhj
07-13-2012, 06:52 PM
I agree with Jocko. I do understand your thoughts and hate it if an expert is not doing his part though too.

That being said, in my state you don't have to take a class at all. It's based on the sheriff's office as to whether to issue or not. Most are pass a background check and as long as you don't have a bad history with the police department as a chronic trouble maker (domestic disturbance or they have to come out to your house all the time) you are issued an annual permit. You have to pass a background check and renew every year.

Like Bawanna has said in the past, what really qualify's someone to be an instructor (passing a test???) and can they really teach?

No disrespect meant to any instructors on the forum.

Bawanna
07-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Edzachery. What makes an instructor an expert.

You go to the class, sometimes your required which usually means the expert is getting paid. The instructor had to go to a class where another so called expert taught him how to be an expert.

You listen, you sort the wheat from the chaffe, do what you consider is the common sense stuff which is all anything to do with guns involves except the laws of course which don't make no sense at all.

I'd take the easy permit party and be done with it. Then study yourself and learn from somebody who you trust or has a track record.

jocko
07-13-2012, 07:22 PM
does rent a cop ring abell...does a mall cop ring abell. does a reserve cop ring abell??

Just sayin.

Bawanna
07-13-2012, 08:19 PM
does rent a cop ring abell...does a mall cop ring abell. does a reserve cop ring abell??

Just sayin.

Your kind of casting a pretty big net there now. I know some reserve cops that put more effort and professionalism into the job than their full time paid counterparts.

Not to say there aren't some really good instructors out there too. The thing is the methods and ways of doing things are constantly changing and todays latest greatest way of doing stuff might be a dinosaur in short order.

Some new methods have proven to be not as good as the old stuff too.

This is probably even more prevalent in LE instructors where they go to instructor refresher courses and come back with a whole new way of doing stuff. Most guys do it to please the instructor then go right back to doing what works for them which isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

JFootin
07-13-2012, 08:36 PM
My instructor here in NC is a certified NRA Instructor, and has to go to classes and stay qualified. NC has an agency that oversees the qualification and licensing of instructors, and they keep a close watch on them. He was especially well informed about the laws in NC, some of which have changed just recently. That said, I had more knowledge of guns than he did. I had to explain to him because he didn't know that 1911s have single action triggers. During the range time, I think what he looked for was the ability to safely and properly handle the gun, not 2" groups.

dkmatthews
07-13-2012, 08:45 PM
My take on it is that whether you attend a "permit party" or a hard-core class taught by a Marine D.I. -- you get out of it what you put into it. Some instructors may appear to be "slack" but still do a fine job of educating the ones who care to listen and learn. Even if you're the only one in the class taking it seriously, it can still be beneficial for you.

CJB
07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
My instructor here in NC is a certified NRA Instructor, and has to go to classes and stay qualified.

Not true. Once an NRA Certified Instructor, the sheepskin is yours, as long as you pay the fee each year.

Your state may have checks and balances on instructors, but the NRA makes no demand for continuing education.

Yogi 117
07-14-2012, 10:18 AM
My take on it is that whether you attend a "permit party" or a hard-core class taught by a Marine D.I. -- you get out of it what you put into it. Some instructors may appear to be "slack" but still do a fine job of educating the ones who care to listen and learn. Even if you're the only one in the class taking it seriously, it can still be beneficial for you.
+1 I agree with this. Heck, in Oregon you don't even have range time as part of your class. Make the most of whichever class you decide on, and remember, the learning never really stops if you're serious about it. Very good info for you on the internet, just have to look for it. :)