PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder rig for CW9?

safehaven
02-26-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm looking for a shoulder rig for my CW9. Who is using one and what are you using? How is it working out?

ripley16
02-27-2010, 05:21 AM
The Galco Miami Classic is always a good choice. You can easily customize it to suit your needs. There are several styles of rig Galco offers. I'd check there to see if there's anything you like. I used one for a couple years.

I used a DeDantis for a while but the one I had is no longer made. It was a good product though. I assume the new stuff is OK.

I've got this Cobra Convertable that I bought here, but I can't find any retail outlet for it, or any other info for that matter. Google let me down.

Steve-$
02-27-2010, 07:31 AM
I just bought the Miami Classic System for my K9 and absoulty love it, after only wearing it about a week.
I had been looking for somthing that would fit my needs which would allow me to wear long pants or shorts, with my tucked it button down shirts.
I wear the system between my "T" shirt and dress shirt, or you can wear it on the outside of your dress shirt if that fits your needs better.
The system rides good, with no discomfort and is out of sight, yet within easy reach.
I just to have to remember to buy shirts a size or two larger than normal, to allow room for the holster.

Here is a link to their websight for the CW9:
Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters (http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=1732&GunID=339)
:)

Steve-$
02-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Appears you would need the # MC290 model.
Here is the best deal that I can find on one this morning, if you are in the market.
Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Holster System: MC290 - eBay (item 390161331809 end time Mar-24-10 18:24:32 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Galco-Miami-Classic-Shoulder-Holster-System-MC290_W0QQitemZ390161331809QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad76d7661)

jocko
02-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Have you ever looked athte 5.11 shoulder rig T-shirts, made out of spandex. Has padded pockets on both side sunder the arms, no nee dfor a holster, My PM9 rides in there perfectly. It is a spandex type shirt, so has to be worn under something. Hides any gun IMO even better than any shoulder rig could dream of. It is a very nice well made body fitting holster shirt. I bought mine from the NRA store.com for $40. I wear it alot under a sweatshirt or vest type carry. Comes in black or white. It is padded on the inside where the weapon would ride against ones body, so you don't even know your carrying it. velcro closure to..
Just a suggestion...YMMV

Steve-$
02-27-2010, 08:54 AM
That's a nice looking shirt.
It is set up a little bit different from the others that I had been looking at, with the support over the shoulders which should work good.
I see that I can also get it in a V neck.
http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/511-Undergear/Tops/Holster-Shirt-V-Neck/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10800:10801/I/40021 (http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/511-Undergear/Tops/Holster-Shirt-V-Neck/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10800:10801/I/40021)
I'll give one a try.

Thanks!

jocko
02-27-2010, 08:59 AM
That's a nice looking shirt.
It is set up a little bit different from the others that I had been looking at, with the support over the shoulders which should work good.
I see that I can also get it in a V neck.
http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/511-Undergear/Tops/Holster-Shirt-V-Neck/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10800:10801/I/40021 (http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/511-Undergear/Tops/Holster-Shirt-V-Neck/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10800:10801/I/40021)
I'll give one a try.

Thanks!

they have increased the price 10 bucks also from when I bought mine 2 years ago. It is IMO stillw orth it, you will like it and any guns in that shirt willnot hang down like a boat anchor either. It is a very frim fitting shirt and that handgun area is beefed up to..

i NOTICED THE nra STORE.COM STILLS HOWS THAT SHIRT FOR $40...

jeep45238
02-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Hate to be a negitive Nancy, but have you ever used a shoulder holster? Odds are it'll be uncomfortable before lunch time and you'll never use it again.

Expect to pay a solid $200+ for a fitted, properly made, comfortable shoulder rig.

And those holster shirts.....please.

People trying to short change and get cheap carry options usually print like hell (or feel like it), and wind up having a box full of holsters that don't get used - ever. Spend the money up front on a gun belt and a good holster, and you'll never look back. I use the SAME rig for my 2.5 pound 1911 as I did for my CW40 - just something to think about.

YouTube - Concealment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIG4LjZgDzI)

jocko
02-27-2010, 09:39 AM
I take it then you have had one of th 5.11 holster shirts and you are giving your wearing experience, or is this just coming off the top of your head.

And those holster shirts.....please

jeep45238
02-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I take it then you have had one of th 5.11 holster shirts and you are giving your wearing experience, or is this just coming off the top of your head.

And those holster shirts.....please

I've tried lots of them, and thankfully at gun shows before spending a penny. So yes, personal experiance.

I don't go mentioning things that I don't know from personal experiance without saying something to the effect of "I think" "I feel" or something along those lines.

You get what you pay for when it comes to holsters up to the 100 buck range or so - beyond that and it's more for form vs. function.

jocko
02-27-2010, 09:50 AM
I have only had one holster shirt and it is a 5.11 and it certainly does not print and 5.11 is not known for making junk crap. I have my opinion on a belt and holster carry also and it certainly doesn't follow along the lines you feel either. so I guess opinions are ok , as we all have them. I have seen some holster shirts that I would not give a dime for, but 5.11 is certainly not one of them... They are not all alike, as belt and holters carry is not either..

swampman
02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
I have only had one holster shirt and it is a 5.11 and it certainly does not print and 5.11 is not known for making junk crap. I have my opinion on a belt and holster carry also and it certainly doesn't follow along the lines you feel either. so I guess opinions are ok , as we all have them. I have seen some holster shirts that I would not give a dime for, but 5.11 is certainly not one of them... They are not all alike, as belt and holters carry is not either..
+1 on 5.11 jocko they make great quality products. :D

jocko
02-27-2010, 02:57 PM
just wore my 5.11 short today to Wal mart and out to eat, under a sweat shirt. One even forgets he has it on. Not a fast draw when wearing a sweat shirt over it but it is always there though and that is what matters..

Steve-$
02-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Hate to be a negitive Nancy, but have you ever used a shoulder holster? Odds are it'll be uncomfortable before lunch time and you'll never use it again.

Expect to pay a solid $200+ for a fitted, properly made, comfortable shoulder rig.

And those holster shirts.....please.

People trying to short change and get cheap carry options usually print like hell (or feel like it), and wind up having a box full of holsters that don't get used - ever. Spend the money up front on a gun belt and a good holster, and you'll never look back. I use the SAME rig for my 2.5 pound 1911 as I did for my CW40 - just something to think about.

YouTube - Concealment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIG4LjZgDzI)

I have been using shoulder holsters on & off for over 30 years depending on what task I was doing.
I agree that if you are going to carry a shoulder holster you do need a good quality set up.
A belt mounted holster is not always the best for the desired task at hand.
Ever tried flying a helicopter with a pistol in a belt holster?
Ever deployed your belt mounted pistol while seated in a vechile with your seatbelt on, while wearing a winter coat?
One of these days you might find that your shoulder and back are not the way they used to be.
You need to remember that everybodys needs are not always the same as yours, and need to keep an open mind.

jocko
02-28-2010, 12:14 PM
+10 on that . thats why there are literally hundreds of different carry rigs. I do have alot of good leather pocket holsters that I have had made for my PM9 and I just seem to go back to my el cheapo desantis pocket holster when ever I leave the house. Being a lefty, just makes it 90% harder to even peddle them....

Never flew a helicopter but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn lately.... would that be about the same thing??????

jeep45238
02-28-2010, 02:02 PM
A belt mounted holster is not always the best for the desired task at hand.
Agreed, but for self defense situations, it's generally the best all-round compromise for daily life.

Ever tried flying a helicopter with a pistol in a belt holster?
Never been in a helo

Ever deployed your belt mounted pistol while seated in a vechile with your seatbelt on, while wearing a winter coat?
Yes, and I make damn sure that I unzip my coat, put on my seat belt, and make sure the coat goes over the seat belt. This allows me to get to the gun and draw it - and yes, I do practice

One of these days you might find that your shoulder and back are not the way they used to be.
I already feel the difference compared to 10 years ago

You need to remember that everybodys needs are not always the same as yours, and need to keep an open mind.
I do - but if you can't get to the gun that you bank your life on, and you can not use it effectively, then what damn good is the gun doing for you?

Steve-$
02-28-2010, 03:25 PM
if you can't get to the gun that you bank your life on, and you can not use it effectively, then what damn good is the gun doing for you?

My point exactly!

jocko
02-28-2010, 03:37 PM
probably not worth arguing about either. everyone has their own reasons why they carry where they do. as long as one carrys that is the most important thing..

paintwerk
04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
One option I havent seen mentioned, the Galco Classic Lite. for $70 shipped I would say its a pretty good option. I havent used one, so i cant give personal experience. It looks decent though.
Galco Classic Lite Shoulder Holster System (http://www.impactguns.com/store/GAL-CL.html)

Heres a video review
YouTube - Galco "Classic Lite" holster: Undercover Operative (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGNZM24dSII)

MiltonY
04-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Talk to the folks at Alessi Holsters. Lou's gone but the business is still open and working. Their Bodyguard is an extremely comfortable shoulder rig and with a K9 or CW9 just disappears. It IS an all day rig. Just check with them about the CS fit versus the K. Comes with either a pull through snap or traditional thumb break. The rough side will shed a little first off, but only for a little while.

jlottmc
04-09-2010, 08:17 AM
probably not worth arguing about either. everyone has their own reasons why they carry where they do. as long as one carrys that is the most important thing..

Well said jocko.

tv_racin_fan
04-09-2010, 09:44 PM
I have a shoulder rig made by Passport. I believe mine is the sidewinder. I got it just to try out and it works fine (not as comfortable as a better made one I assume), I'll replace it with something better one day.

Passport Shoulder Systems (http://www.passport-holsters.com/_shoulder.html)

Phantom
04-16-2010, 08:06 PM
I have one for sale in the items for sale section here.

MattTheKnife
04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
The shoulder holster I use for my Kahr is a mixture of Galco system parts. I use a black Miami Classic harness (because I usually wear black tee shirts), a Classic Lite holster because it is thinner than the rigid leather (nicer) holsters, and an ammo carrier for a Walther PPK/S becaise I already had that and the magazines fit. This shoulder holster won't win any beauty contests, but it provides comfortable concealment for long periods. I even wear this under polo shirts.