PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Shreveport: Your rights are now suspended

JFootin
07-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Law abiding citizen? Have a concealed carry permit? Have stickers on your car that indicate your views? Well, welcome to Shrevport, LA, where every right you thought you had are trumped by a Little Napolean mayor named Cedric Glover!

http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/hostedemail/email.htm?CID=12592906984&ch=8E80762F9FE143561306462E1467B8D5&h=7b61d4dea6b3f9f9babf71ba4395de2d&ei=sx8TlS8NN

les strat
07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Wow. So many polititians and LEO's out there just don't get it. Seems like Glover needs schooling on Constitutional rights and controlling his power trip. A guy pulled over for a traffic citation that is carrying is not an armed criminal. The politician and LEO are the ones who broke the highest law and should be repremanded for it.

CJB
07-18-2012, 09:56 PM
There is a point at which the LEO can temporarily secure the encounter, by holding the citizens arms on a temporary basis. This is established in law, with long history and precedent.

The problem is... did they overstep their bounds. That is - by proper jurisdictional law, did police have reasonable suspicion that the defendant was armed and NEEDED to have his arms temporarily held until the encounter was complete.

I'd say - the Mayor is an idiot. He's a two bit lightweight who thinks he knows it all.

The police probably, IMHO, overstepped their authority. In certain encounters, its customary to hold arms, and deliver them back to their owner, in a safe manner, at the end of the encounter. Not sure exactly what happened.

Does the story raise eyebrows - you bet. Is it as bad as is made out... oh, probably not as bad (in some respects) and maybe worse in other respects.

Chief Joseph
07-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Understand if you disagree with this mayor you're a racist, right?

ship4brains
07-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Understand if you disagree with this mayor you're a racist, right?

What if I say he looks like a pot belly pig....?

JFootin
07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Nothing to do with his color, but this guy has definitely risen to a position that he is not qualified to fill. Not that he wouldn't fill any chair or room he is in! He seems to be in the same league as Ray Nagin ("...make this a black city!") in New Orleans. Louisianna seems to have a real penchant for electing pure trash as mayors! :mad:

I'm sure it won't be long until he is reeled in by the courts and lawsuits. But I thought it was a valid post for the RKBA forum.

Chief Joseph
07-19-2012, 10:55 AM
What if I say he looks like a pot belly pig....?

OMG, can't stop laughing. Thank you.

Planedude
07-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Shhhhhhh... The "King of Shrevport" may hear you...

No tourist dollors from this Texan now... Call me when "his majesty's" rein is over, I'd love to go visit the USS Kidd.

ship4brains
07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Just another Post Turtle, Like Obammy.

les strat
07-19-2012, 03:39 PM
There is a point at which the LEO can temporarily secure the encounter, by holding the citizens arms on a temporary basis. This is established in law, with long history and precedent.

The problem is... did they overstep their bounds. That is - by proper jurisdictional law, did police have reasonable suspicion that the defendant was armed and NEEDED to have his arms temporarily held until the encounter was complete.

I'd say - the Mayor is an idiot. He's a two bit lightweight who thinks he knows it all.

The police probably, IMHO, overstepped their authority. In certain encounters, its customary to hold arms, and deliver them back to their owner, in a safe manner, at the end of the encounter. Not sure exactly what happened.

Does the story raise eyebrows - you bet. Is it as bad as is made out... oh, probably not as bad (in some respects) and maybe worse in other respects.

I would think for a traffic violation, it is ridiculous. Sorry, I guess I think the 2A supercedes any little city laws and the mayor does not respect citizen's rights. This whole story wreaks of power trip.

yqtszhj
07-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks for posting this. I had planned on visiting in-laws there in the next months. Maybe I'll just invite them to my place instead. I'll just take them shooting too while I'm at it.

In my place, the state says how it works. A county or mayor cannot make their own laws or ordinances concerning concealed carry.