PDA

View Full Version : PM9: After 1000+ rounds, my first FT feed today

unclenunzie
02-27-2010, 06:31 PM
A couple gold dots, 115gr, didn't quite feed into the chamber today. Maybe I need to install my spare outer recoil spring? Also ran a box of hornady CD (FTX) and 100 PMC ball with no issues.

Maybe the gold dots sharp edges caught on the feed ramp. I dunno, but a quick slingshot of the slide fed them both. Anyway, I like the CDs and loaded them for home defense tonight, on my waist right now.

PM9 is an accurate shooter for such a short barrel.

unclenunzie

bayoutrigger
02-27-2010, 07:50 PM
After 1000 rounds you definitely need to replace recoil spring.

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 01:07 AM
A couple gold dots, 115gr, didn't quite feed into the chamber today. Maybe I need to install my spare outer recoil spring? Also ran a box of hornady CD (FTX) and 100 PMC ball with no issues.

Maybe the gold dots sharp edges caught on the feed ramp. I dunno, but a quick slingshot of the slide fed them both. Anyway, I like the CDs and loaded them for home defense tonight, on my waist right now.

unclenunzie

If you lock the slide back and push up on the bottom of the magazine so it's closer to "flush" as you release the slide, that first round will load more easily. I had CorBon 125s fail to feed twice on the same full mag, until I pushed up on the mag.
It would be nice if those things really fit a little more flush. Bullets with exposed lead and a dirty ramp will give more FTF like that -- just bang into the ramp and not go up it.:(
Polishing the ramp with a "Dremel" can help. My K9 had a kind of crosshatched surface that really showed when dirty.
Wynn

unclenunzie
02-28-2010, 06:34 AM
If you lock the slide back and push up on the bottom of the magazine so it's closer to "flush" as you release the slide, that first round will load more easily. I had CorBon 125s fail to feed twice on the same full mag, until I pushed up on the mag.
It would be nice if those things really fit a little more flush. Bullets with exposed lead and a dirty ramp will give more FTF like that -- just bang into the ramp and not go up it.:(
Polishing the ramp with a "Dremel" can help. My K9 had a kind of crosshatched surface that really showed when dirty.
Wynn

Wasn't a first round issue, but in the middle of a string of fire. I may actually have limp wristed, as I had not been to the range with the PM9 in a while. Been firing mostly full size guns recently, so may have slacked off on the grip unconsciously at first. Also this is the first box of the GDHP 115 gr rounds I ran through her. I had run GDHP +p 124 gr no issues like all the rest of the 1000+ rounds of mixed ammo. Maybe the 115's are shorter for the lighter weight and the sharp hollow edge can catch more easily.

Might just have to polish on the feed ramp, though it seems pretty shiny and smooth, pretty much like new. When I clean her up I'll take a real good look and hand cycle both the 115s, 124s, and the Critical Defense to get a feel for the feed cycle on each. It is possible she may simply not like the GDHP 115s. I can live with that if that's the case, I'm really liking the CDs anyway, they feed perfect so far, recoil is light and I am accurate with them.

unclenunzie

jocko
02-28-2010, 08:03 AM

unclenunzie

go to gunsprings.com (wolffs) and order the 20.5 set of recoil springs, this will really help feed issues. Your kahr now has 18# springs in it..

kb2wji
02-28-2010, 11:12 AM
go to gunsprings.com (wolffs) and order the 20.5 set of recoil springs, this will really help feed issues. Your kahr now has 18# springs in it..

Really? I had 50% of my rounds fail to chamber during the first 200. Ian at Kahr sent me a new recoil spring. Problem solved. I now have about 500 rounds through my pm9 with no issues. If Its recommended to change out the spring at 1000 rounds, this 20.5 lb spring is a good idea? I actually didnt know that option was out there :o

jocko
02-28-2010, 11:39 AM
I have never read to change at 1000 rounds. I certainly don't in my PM9 but recoil springs are cheap and usually should be the first thing to change if issues arise that never arose before. If one changes springs at 1000 rounds he should never have any recoil spring related issues IMO. Wolffs makes kahrs recoil springs so u have the best in there,but I sure do like the 20.5 spring. I just replce the outter spring even and leave the inner one alone.

unclenunzie
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM

I have a factory spare outer recoil spring and the captive inner also. I ordered a wolf 20.5 just in case.

I hand cycled all three round types(GD: 124+P, 115, and CD) after cleaning and lubing today and I see no differences in how they cycle or feel. I could not get any of them to hang while manually cycling them deliberately slow to try and force a fail to chamber. I have a feeling that it was my grip at fault or maybe a lube issue, I will run a few more mags next weekend to see if I can make it happen again.

Thanks for the replies and advice folks,

unclenunzie

bayoutrigger
02-28-2010, 06:35 PM
I have never read to change at 1000 rounds. I certainly don't in my PM9 but recoil springs are cheap and usually should be the first thing to change if issues arise that never arose before. If one changes springs at 1000 rounds he should never have any recoil spring related issues IMO. Wolffs makes kahrs recoil springs so u have the best in there,but I sure do like the 20.5 spring. I just replce the outter spring even and leave the inner one alone.

I was having a FTF problem after 1000 rds and called Kahr. I was told that after 1000 rds needed to replace spring. They sent me a replacement at no charge and everthing has been fine since.

jocko
03-01-2010, 01:51 AM
no doubt I don't change enough, so maybe 1000 is a good number to think about changing. That isnormally alot of rounds for a person to shoot to. In nice weather for me it is normally less than a month. recoil springs are part of proper gun timing, so when indoubt replace, they are cheap to buy as are mafgazne springs, which I am sure many never think of replacing either on a regular basis..

If a person shoots alot and has multiple guns tha the shoots, he should keep a log book so he know when he did what. I used to, but lost the damn book. I think Wynn came and took it to further confuse me.

unclenunzie
03-01-2010, 06:11 AM
No doubt, a smaller gun's timing cycle is shorter so the springs have a smaller operating window for correct sequencing - boom, recoil spring fully compressed, mag spring pushes round up, slide moves forward, etc.

Heck if the mag springs are too strong relative to the recoil spring the slide might get slowed down some when going forward...and I recently got brand new mags too, with my original recoil spring with 1000+ on it. Interesting to think about, but not too much :)

I think I'll replace the outer spring and be done with it. Cheaper than ammo and good insurance for The Day We Hope Never Comes.

unclenunzie

bayoutrigger
03-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Springs are a lot like changing the oil in a car, I could probably get by with not changing as often but springs are cheap and with a firearm I carry for that one time I may need it, preventive maintenance is a must in my book.

jocko
03-01-2010, 09:22 AM
No doubt, a smaller gun's timing cycle is shorter so the springs have a smaller operating window for correct sequencing - boom, recoil spring fully compressed, mag spring pushes round up, slide moves forward, etc.

Heck if the mag springs are too strong relative to the recoil spring the slide might get slowed down some when going forward...and I recently got brand new mags too, with my original recoil spring with 1000+ on it. Interesting to think about, but not too much :)

I think I'll replace the outer spring and be done with it. Cheaper than ammo and good insurance for The Day We Hope Never Comes.

unclenunzie

mess with changing the inner spring. Repklace the outter and just shoot it like u stole it..:eek:

unclenunzie
03-03-2010, 08:16 AM
The old spring (outer) with 1000+ on it, is noticeably compressed and weaker compared to the new spring. Both are factory standard from Kahr. Based on how different they feel I have confidence feeding will be normal with the 115 gold dots.

A range test will follow this weekend. I still have a wolf 20.5# coming, I will probably just keep it as a spare if all goes well.

unclenunzie

jocko
03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
The old spring (outer) with 1000+ on it, is noticeably compressed and weaker compared to the new spring. Both are factory standard from Kahr. Based on how different they feel I have confidence feeding will be normal with the 115 gold dots.

A range test will follow this weekend. I still have a wolf 20.5# coming, I will probably just keep it as a spare if all goes well.

unclenunzie

spring will compress alot by just sitting in the gun, A compression is designed into recoil springs to. so I would pay little attention to the compression thing. What one should do and I am guilty of not doing it is to log his guns with changes made etc and at what round count. Merely looking at a compressed recoil spring to a new one in the package would tend to say oops bad worn out spring and that more than likely is not true.

round count has far more to do with it, Again every one has their own method of when to change rounds. I personaly feel with the kahr captive set up 1000 is kinda over kill but recoil springs are cheap to replace and if you just replace the outter recoil spring at 1000 rounds the cost is sure not much either. Just error on the side of caution. I never heard of a gun breaking down because one changed recoil springs ...

When I bought the first set of 20.5 set of springs from wolffs, I did change the inner little spring, but since I have just replaced the outter 20.5 spring and not messed with taking that captive assembly apart..

the strange thing for me is that the PM9 and the PM40 use the same captive recoil set up, same factory poundage of 18#. Now we all know the 40 cal is a beast over the 9mm. so for sure I would think the 20.5 springs int he 40 cal kahrs would ber a real plus. YMMV.:cheer2:

unclenunzie
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Agree, I am not going to touch the inner. I squeezed the old outer spring in my hand and could feel the poundage difference old versus new spring. Also putting it into the slide against the barrel lug I could tell it was better, being much tighter to squeeze in.

If I ever decide to tinker with the inner spring using an old assembly, are there instructions anyplace? I can probably figure it out but I don't like to toy with spring loaded stuff not knowing how it works. I have heard people talk of red locktite, but unless the metal parts are screwed or pinned together I have no idea.

jocko
03-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Agree, I am not going to touch the inner. I squeezed the old outer spring in my hand and could feel the poundage difference old versus new spring. Also putting it into the slide against the barrel lug I could tell it was better, being much tighter to squeeze in.

If I ever decide to tinker with the inner spring using an old assembly, are there instructions anyplace? I can probably figure it out but I don't like to toy with spring loaded stuff not knowing how it works. I have heard people talk of red locktite, but unless the metal parts are screwed or pinned together I have no idea.

the inner spring is held on by the button on the ends that threads. It is put on with red locktite, so heat it up alittle if you can, that will help, then you have to somehow grab that inner spring bar and that button separtely. and just unthread it. Not a big deal either. Just be sure to red locktite it back on or it will fly off somewhere , never to be seen again. Aks me how I know that:boink::boink:

unclenunzie
03-09-2010, 06:52 PM
With the new outer recoil spring, 100% function as before. A box of the gold dot 115 gr, and 2 boxes of ball 115.

PM9 shows very little wear after 1265 rounds. The cocking cam sear surface is shiny where the black finish has worn from interfacing with the striker. The rails show a few directional scratches I think. The slide inside and out looks new.

I really like my PM9.

unclenunzie

Vinikahr
03-09-2010, 07:00 PM
With the new outer recoil spring, 100% function as before. A box of the gold dot 115 gr, and 2 boxes of ball 115.

PM9 shows very little wear after 1265 rounds. The cocking cam sear surface is shiny where the black finish has worn from interfacing with the striker. The rails show a few directional scratches I think. The slide inside and out looks new.

I really like my PM9.

unclenunzie

Kool!

Thanks for the update!:w00t: