PDA

View Full Version : PM9/40 vs PM45

StewRacing
02-28-2010, 08:22 AM
I need a little help. Can someone please post a comparison photo of the PM9/40 & PM45. I have held the PM9 and deemed it perfect size for pocket carry. However, I like the 45 but am yet to find one to hold. I would hate to miss out on the 45. I'll keep looking, just curious if anyone has a photo. Can't find one on the Google.

Thanks, Mike

jocko
02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
I need a little help. Can someone please post a comparison photo of the PM9/40 & PM45. I have held the PM9 and deemed it perfect size for pocket carry. However, I like the 45 but am yet to find one to hold. I would hate to miss out on the 45. I'll keep looking, just curious if anyone has a photo. Can't find one on the Google.

Thanks, Mike

that is for sure, yet small for a 45 but yet IMO maybe to big for pocket carry, but maybe kahr never intended it for that area either. If ur gonna waist band carry, that PM45 would be a humm dinger. the PM9 is the ultimate pocket gun IMO, course I am prejudicie towards the PM9 and 9mm also. the PM40 is almost the exact same size but about 1.5 ounces more in weight and certainly alot more recoil than the PM9.

If you read this forum u will find shooters that love the pM40, and PM45. but if your looking for a pocket gun I really lean towards the PM9. It is light, it is totally dependable, it is a fun gun to shoot ALOT to. Ammo is the lowest of any center fire. Great defense rounds are availalbe for the 9mm..

Good luck

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't have my PM45 yet, but my PM9 weighs about 19.6 ounces with 6+1, fully loaded. My K9 weighs 10 ounces more with 7+1, and I just weighed 6 rounds of Rem GS 230 JHPs and they weigh just under 4.5 ounces, so that would bring the PM45 (19.3 oz with 1 empty mag) up to about 23.7 oz. So it's about the weight of the ammo heavier than the PM9, but all of the dimensions are a tad bigger. For all-around "pocket carry", the PM9 would probably be best.
I probably won't carry the PM45 much, but I just want one -- the most compact and "prettiest" .45, in DLC with N/S.
I'm personally not into "pocket carry" -- just IWB and I can draw my pistol in just about any situation. I'm not comfortable carrying a heavy weight in my shorts pocket, either, but to each his own preference. I love the .45 ACP and I've always wanted something like the PM45, and if you can swing it, get both, but the PM9 would be ideal under most circumstances and you have a lot more choice in ammo... well, maybe not now so much, but you can certainly find something that will kick butt in 9mm.
Anyhow, I guess that's a vote for both, but if you can just get one, the PM9 won't disappoint you. Most members of this forum seem to have one and love it.
Wynn:)

Vinikahr
02-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Should give an idea of the dimensions:

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Very good, Vini'. :)

In-Yo-Grill
02-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I freekn' want a PM9 so bad I can taste the it...Trying to be patient and wait for the right deal.

jocko
02-28-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't have my PM45 yet, but my PM9 weighs about 19.6 ounces with 6+1, fully loaded. My K9 weighs 10 ounces more with 7+1, and I just weighed 6 rounds of Rem GS 230 JHPs and they weigh just under 4.5 ounces, so that would bring the PM45 (19.3 oz with 1 empty mag) up to about 23.7 oz. So it's about the weight of the ammo heavier than the PM9, but all of the dimensions are a tad bigger. For all-around "pocket carry", the PM9 would probably be best.
I probably won't carry the PM45 much, but I just want one -- the most compact and "prettiest" .45, in DLC with N/S.
I'm personally not into "pocket carry" -- just IWB and I can draw my pistol in just about any situation. I'm not comfortable carrying a heavy weight in my shorts pocket, either, but to each his own preference. I love the .45 ACP and I've always wanted something like the PM45, and if you can swing it, get both, but the PM9 would be ideal under most circumstances and you have a lot more choice in ammo... well, maybe not now so much, but you can certainly find something that will kick butt in 9mm.
Anyhow, I guess that's a vote for both, but if you can just get one, the PM9 won't disappoint you. Most members of this forum seem to have one and love it.

I guess my slide melt and some of the other reductions (although slight) makes a difference. My PM9 fully loaded weight 18 ounces, That to me is a very pocketable weight. No a fast draw area for sure, but also not a special dress requirement either...

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I freekn' want a PM9 so bad I can taste the it...Trying to be patient and wait for the right deal.
Be ready to pounce with whatever it takes -- green, paper, or plastic!:D
The first time I saw one was in a gun show, and I thought it was a P380 that someone had the slide blackened and N/S added. I realized after picking it up that it was a little bigger, but had I seen one of those first, I wouldn't have ordered a P380, I don't think! So when I was at a show in January just hoping to SEE a PM45, I happened on this black PM9 with night sights -- looked new in the Box but was used and priced at $600! I felt like my whole world shrunk down to that scene (like tunnel vision) as I beheld the "holy grail". Then I felt like the world was watching looking over my shoulders and around me, waiting for me to put it down.:eek: As I held it I had to resist saying I'll take it, and feared a "bidding war". Man this thing was perfect but I wanted to see if I could get the asking price down a bit. The guy to my right looked interested and I was holding my breath while trying to barter a bit with the dealer! Talk about paranoia or whatever! The guy put it down and moved on... whew!
The dealer immediately said he thought he could let me have it for $600 "out the door". I countered with $550... holding my breath. He said that it was a consignment and that he would have to call his boss and see what they to get to make something on the deal. This dealer was really working for me, and I was praying that no one else would pop up and offer full price. Well, the owner was being transferred (job?) and wanted $500 out of it, so they settled on $550 plus tax plus Instant Check fee for a total of $588 out the door. They even took a check! Then I had to "get lost" for about 15 minutes and wait for the OK from the feds. I went back a little early, 'cause I had almost seen everything before finding this PM9. When I walked away with it, I was almost floating... cloud nine... but I started thinking about ammo.
I had been in such a hurry when I left the house, carrying my now defunct DLP big screen HDTV and two complete old computers/monitors to the remote and handier electronic salvage location on the north side of the river, that I had forgotten to even get my CCW!
I had to drive back south across the river and about 15 miles to the gun show. Anyhow, I wanted some kind of ammo with me so I could use that PM9 if necessary. I bought a box of Blazer for $13 out the door and left for home. This was one of those moments you'll never forget and I wanted you to know something of how I felt during this momentous event. It felt surreal as I walked out to the van, still not believing that I had been so lucky. I'm sure you would have recognized that "sh*t-eating grin" on my face!:D
The feeling was really "epiphanic" on seeing that little gun. I know that I get carried away typing and yakking, but I think the "tale" was worth elaborating... I can just see I-Y-G salivating.:D

Oh! I was going for gold up there and that was as close as I could get here.:D

jocko
02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
you stole that gun for $550 . You should send everyone on this forum 45 for what you did!! Make mine $10 as I am older and my post count is rising and I am not sure how much longer I will be here!!

In-Yo-Grill
02-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Great story Wynn...You got several good chuckles out of me that made my wife ask "What the #$%@ are you reading over there".

Great price for sure. That's how I felt when I bought my Blackened P45 w/NS for $559 shipped.

A good deal will show up sooner or later and I need to not let myself give into the hype. It's hard listening to you guys say how GREAT your PM9's are day after day. "It sucks to be me right now...!!!"

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 12:36 PM
you stole that gun for $550 . You should send everyone on this forum 45 for what you did!! Make mine $10 as I am older and my post count is rising and I am not sure how much longer I will be here!!

Yeah, considering the "retail" is $958! And I've used the "wanting to get some of the things I've been wanting before I get too old to enjoy them" story several times recently -- going for sympathy. My wife nearly choked, laughing, when I elaborated with how she'd have to wheel me up to the firing lane, load my pistol, put it into my hands, and maybe even help me fire it! I hope that never happens, but you never know.
Today's my wonderful wife's 54th BD and she's at work, helping me afford these "toys" and to sit here all day trying to amuse you guys... or myself.:D It's not so lonely here, now, while my wife's at work...<sniff>:rolleyes:
Yeah, I feel like Andy Capp too often. I put a lot of those comics on the refrigerator for her to see. Some are just too true.:blushing:
BUT, <sigh> I can't help myself... you guys and this forum have gotten me back into buying and shooting Kahrs... and some of the other guns as well.
It's a blast!
Wynn:D

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Great story Wynn...You got several good chuckles out of me that made my wife ask "What the #$%@ are you reading over there".

Great price for sure. That's how I felt when I bought my Blackened P45 w/NS for $559 shipped.

A good deal will show up sooner or later and I need to not let myself give into the hype. It's hard listening to you guys say how GREAT your PM9's are day after day. "It sucks to be me right now...!!!"

Yeah, I know what you mean. That's how I was feeling over the P380N... and now I want a Black one!:(

The PM9 sure got me out of that funk and now I can even wait a few more days for my PM45 -- unbelievable for me -- I am not a patient guy!

Wow! That was a good deal you got! I was tempted to buy SmokeEater's PM45 after I couldn't get a response out of that "aternie's" PM45 here in Jacksonville, but I really wanted the black one with N/S like my little PM9 buddy.
Good luck! And I hope your entrepreneurial venture with the Kahr accessories goes well. I would be interested, but I now have all of the magazines I need... and for Kahrs that I don't even have, yet!

I'm still wishing that I could have held and compared both the P45 to the PM45... they are so close in size... and in the end it was the smaller size that won out, even though I would love to have a P45 DLC w. NS, as well. If Kahr were to make a K45 DLC wtih N/S I would plunk the money.. er... CC down and order one! Kahrs are just so clean looking and beautiful -- not blocky or marred by "protuberances".:D

Vinikahr
02-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Yeah do not succumb to the hype.
I have found good deals for being patient,
But what really sucks is finding a good deal,
and you do no have the dough.:eek:

Wilson2008
02-28-2010, 01:02 PM
The chart Vini linked to is excellent. I'll just add that for my average size hands the PM45 fits better than the chart shows, with my pinky resting comfortably on the magazine base. I carry my PM45 IWB, and think it would be a challenge to pocket carry. But that's just me.

- Wilson

Smoke Eater
02-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Mike, I just posted(sort of) some pics of a PM45 I have in the for sale forum, some of the pictures have a PM9 beside it. I know these are rough pictures but I never claimed to be a photographer(SORRY)

Dave

In-Yo-Grill
02-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah do not succumb to the hype.
I have found good deals for being patient,
But what really sucks is finding a good deal,
and you do no have the dough.:eek:

Well this time I'll be ready...I've already talked to one of my kids and have made it known that he will have to attend community college because of his father's quest for rare and beautiful Kahrs...

In-Yo-Grill
02-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Mike, I just posted(sort of) some pics of a PM45 I have in the for sale forum, some of the pictures have a PM9 beside it. I know these are rough pictures but I never claimed to be a photographer(SORRY)

Dave

Great news...I'm on my way to take a look.

10Kahrs
02-28-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't own PM40 but I can help with comparison photos of PM45vsPM9 Sorry, I'm not a great at photo's. Since the summer is coming up why don't you buy the PM9 first and save over the summer to buy the PM45. The PM40 sounds like a nice compromise on paper but I would imagine the recoil to be harsh since I own a MK40. I find I can shoot a 45 better than a 40 but thats just me? good luck. PS I wish kahr made all their PM series the size of the PM45 even the PM9 the grip on the PM45 fits my hand perfect. I would give up the slightly smaller frame for the grip alone.

10Kahrs
02-28-2010, 02:23 PM
another

jocko
02-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, considering the "retail" is $958! And I've used the "wanting to get some of the things I've been wanting before I get too old to enjoy them" story several times recently -- going for sympathy. My wife nearly choked, laughing, when I elaborated with how she'd have to wheel me up to the firing lane, load my pistol, put it into my hands, and maybe even help me fire it! I hope that never happens, but you never know.
Today's my wonderful wife's 54th BD and she's at work, helping me afford these "toys" and to sit here all day trying to amuse you guys... or myself.:D It's not so lonely here, now, while my wife's at work...<sniff>:rolleyes:
Yeah, I feel like Andy Capp too often. I put a lot of those comics on the refrigerator for her to see. Some are just too true.:blushing:
BUT, <sigh> I can't help myself... you guys and this forum have gotten me back into buying and shooting Kahrs... and some of the other guns as well.
It's a blast!
Wynn:D

you guys and this forum have gotten me back into buying and shooting Kahrs... and some of the other guns as well. BLAME IT ON US:der::der:

jocko
02-28-2010, 02:42 PM
another

look like much but it is. the 45 is wider (thicker) also. I always felt the PM9 was at the brink of being pocketable, the PM40 is almost the same size.

buy the PM9 like 5Kahrs said. You won't be dissapointed even if down the road you get a PM45..:music:

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 02:46 PM
5Kahrs, that mag-well up comparison is the most telling -- it's hard to get around the bullet-size difference!:D Thanks for the comparison. When I get my new one I'll post some comparisons, too, DLC to DLC. I'll get some pictures with my camera at the range, too, firing and recoil comparisons -- ammo and guns!
Wynn

Frankhenrylee
03-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I see you have been contemplating the same issues as myself. To get the PM45 or not to, that is the question. Here's what I think: I have medium size hands and the 45 fits them perfectly. The 40 is not bad, but the 9 almost seems to small,which is great for carry but not as much fun to shoot. If you are a larger person the 45 would probably be easier too conceal for you than for me. I really want the 45, but concealment is my top proirity and that only leaves the 9. Also, I think the 9 needs a pinky extension like on the 45, the 45 is good to go just the way it is, but they do not offer a flush mount base plate if you want to go small. I have been trying to decide for months. I'm pretty sure I could carry the 45 most of the time, I live in the south though and summertime carry would be an issue. Of course its summer about 5 months out of the year here in Arkansas. Still better than Lousy-ana, I don't know how they do it down there.

hsart
03-04-2010, 09:04 AM
I see you have been contemplating the same issues as myself. To get the PM45 or not to, that is the question. Here's what I think: I have medium size hands and the 45 fits them perfectly. The 40 is not bad, but the 9 almost seems to small,which is great for carry but not as much fun to shoot. If you are a larger person the 45 would probably be easier too conceal for you than for me. I really want the 45, but concealment is my top proirity and that only leaves the 9. Also, I think the 9 needs a pinky extension like on the 45, the 45 is good to go just the way it is, but they do not offer a flush mount base plate if you want to go small. I have been trying to decide for months. I'm pretty sure I could carry the 45 most of the time, I live in the south though and summertime carry would be an issue. Of course its summer about 5 months out of the year here in Arkansas. Still better than Lousy-ana, I don't know how they do it down there.
I am 5'9 160# and the PM45 is concealable on a belt slide even in the summer with an untucked shirt riding at 4 o'clock. No difference for me whether a belt slide or IWB holster, though I find the belt slide much more comfortable for all day carry. Though the PM9 is very slightly smaller than the PM45, I cannot tell the difference when I am concealing. The PM9 does fit slightly better in pocketcarry though.

Bawanna
03-04-2010, 09:12 AM
[ I really want the 45, )

I think you nailed it here my friend. In my book "want" :cheer2:always overrules "need":7:. I'm also in the same boat wanting the PM45 which means without doubt that someday I'll have a PM45, might miss a few meals, have to forgo a few other frivoulous items like sleep, gas, tires etc, but it will happen.
Sort of opposite of the previous suggestions but you can always get the 9 too.
As for the south, you just gotta love it. I got drug out to the NW in my youth, wish I'd gone back 40 years ago. Probably too late now.:confused:

Frankhenrylee
03-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I am 5'9 160# and the PM45 is concealable on a belt slide even in the summer with an untucked shirt riding at 4 o'clock. No difference for me whether a belt slide or IWB holster, though I find the belt slide much more comfortable for all day carry. Though the PM9 is very slightly smaller than the PM45, I cannot tell the difference when I am concealing. The PM9 does fit slightly better in pocketcarry though.
Thats good to hear, I'm roughly the same size although I've got a few extra pounds in the places my pistol should go. Its so hard to predict what it will be like. I bought a full size pistol last purchase thinking that since I wouldn't have to carry an extra clip It would be allright(XDM holds 19+1), but it wasn't, damn grip jabs me in the ribs and I constantly have to adjust the position of the gun depending on situation. Now I want something comfortable. I prefer IWB just because of the extra concealment so thin helps. I also bought a bunch of pants and shorts with comfort stretch waistbands to help with that. How has your PM45 been working out for you?

StewRacing
03-06-2010, 10:22 AM

I am 6'-4" 240 lbs and can palm a basketball. I normally carry a SigPro 9mm IWB or leave it under the seat of my car. I have handled the PM9 and it fits perfectly in my hands. I am sure the PM45 will as well. I think I would love the PM9 but a 45 ACP is a very nice option.

StewRacing
03-06-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't own PM40 but I can help with comparison photos of PM45vsPM9 Sorry, I'm not a great at photo's. Since the summer is coming up why don't you buy the PM9 first and save over the summer to buy the PM45. The PM40 sounds like a nice compromise on paper but I would imagine the recoil to be harsh since I own a MK40. I find I can shoot a 45 better than a 40 but thats just me? good luck. PS I wish kahr made all their PM series the size of the PM45 even the PM9 the grip on the PM45 fits my hand perfect. I would give up the slightly smaller frame for the grip alone.

Just what I was looking for. Thank you 5Kahr. It doesn't make my decision any easier. I fell in love with the PM9 first but the 45 keeps looking a lot better.

I know for most of us it would be much easier to spend $300 on a Ruger LCP and be done with pocket carry, but the these Kahr just seem too perfect.

Thanks