PDA

View Full Version : Problem re-assembling PM40

Javaguzzi
02-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Bought a brand new PM40 yesterday. I disassembled it this AM to clean before going to the range. It will not re-assemble. Slide goes half way and stops. Took it back to the gundealer and he couldn't get it to reassemble either. It just sticks half way and will not budge from that point. Gundealer thinks something is wrong with the spring assembly. Calling Kahr in the Am to see what to do.:confused::mad:

Anyone else had this problem and know a fix for it? How is Kahr's customer service?

In-Yo-Grill
02-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Check your spring assembly and make sure you are getting the slide lock lever in the correct position.

My P45 and my P380 both require a firm tap using the palm of my hand to go back on the lower before putting the slide lock lever into place.

jocko
02-28-2010, 12:22 PM
make sure the slide is not hitting the ejector when putting it back on, sometimes that ejector gets in the way and the slide will not go on, just a touch on the side of the ejector and it will clear ok.

do not pull the trigger to put the slide back on either. keep your finger out of that area and try it again. Indeed recheck your recoil assembly. Kinda hard to not get that right IMO. really nothing in the gun except the cocking cam to stop the slide from going on and if you keep the trigger pulled when reassembling the slide willnot go on.

You hav eto pull the trigger to get the slide off but not to get it back on..

Raoul
02-28-2010, 12:37 PM
I assume you've watched this vid?

KAHR / Disassembly & Reassembly (http://www.kahr.com/download/dtlmov_takedown-p.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2cZgVg_SwA

kb2wji
02-28-2010, 01:20 PM
I have the exact same problem with my PM9. Sometimes I goes right back on, and sometimes it hits a brick wall 1/2 way there. I usually end up taking the slide off, slightly re-adjusting the recoil spring position and try again. I'd say after about 10 attempts at those little re-adjustments, she'll go back on. Drives me insane.

I think JOCKO is on the right path. I'm going to give it a shot :)

Javaguzzi
02-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I and the gun dealer have tried for about 1 hr trying to get it back on. On a hit or miss, we could sometimes get it to slide back without the spring assembly in it. Just the barrel. With the spring assembly installed it stopped cold and would not go back to finish the assembly. Either the spring assembly is broke or there is something in the base, but we have looked and can find nothing that doesn't look right.

I'll try jocko's way and see.

jocko
02-28-2010, 02:04 PM
can't see how the spring assembly can be broke either in the cw it is just the recoil tube and spinrg. . When it stops just give it a love tap and see if it proceeds like it should.

We are all just guessing here without the gun in hand.

Javaguzzi
02-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. It si confusing. I will talk to Kahr tomorrow. I like the site. Glad you recommended it Jocko.

lyon
02-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Javaguzzi, just a thought here but make sure the large (outer) spring on the guide rod is on in the proper direction.. It needs to have the open loop towards the front & the closed loop towards the rear..

Lyon

Javaguzzi
02-28-2010, 06:28 PM
her is a pick of how far the gun will go back.
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss282/Javaguzzi/th_pm40001.jpg

EsCrasston
03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Did you try lifting up on the slide a little bit when it stops? Mine does the same thing, and all I have to do is pull up on it slightly and it slides right on.

B18C5 Tom
03-05-2010, 10:28 AM
In your pic the slide stop lever is missing - have you tried inserting it at the 45 degree angle until it stops, and then seeing if the slide will go back far enough to line up the half moon cutout for the slide stop lever to completely insert?

I know neither my PM9 or PM40 will allow the slide to go past where yours is in your pic without first inserting the slide stop lever, then it goes back just enough to finish pushing the slide stop lever in all the way, then the slide will go all the way back and lock open.

I could be way off, but basically this is now I always assemble mine now.

gb6491
03-07-2010, 02:07 PM
My CW45 has always required a slight manipulation of the trigger during reassembly.
The rear of the slide first encounters a slight resistance, then passes over the cocking cam; at this point, the slide's position is quite similar to that in the OP's photo and cannot be moved any further rearward. Pressing the trigger lightly at this point allows the slide to continue backward a slight amount and the slide stop can be installed. I believe the slide is catching on the trigger bar and the slight movement of the trigger frees it up for the remainder of the required distance. The gun operates fine when fully assembled.
Video of the sequence required on my pistol:
YouTube - cw45.WMV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41einZaqxVo)
Regards,
Greg