PDA

View Full Version : P380 Problems

jfred
02-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Bought one last weekend for the wife to shoot (purchased new). I already have a PM9 and it has worked flawlessly out of the box (Love it!). I am familiar with the break in period for Kahr's and did the 4-500 slide racks before ever going to the range with the gun. Initial loading using the slide rack lever works ok for chambering rounds. I have put 200 rounds through the gun (FMJ factory ammo) and have had probably 2 dozen failures to feed, 2 or 3 failures to eject, and most concerning a dozen failure to fires (light strikes). Weapon has been cleaned and lubed. I was concerned when I originally dismantled for cleaning to find several areas of polymer tags hanging. Also one of the steel inner rails has a rough spot along the machined rail.

When the gun functions it is a real tack driver very accurate at 5-10 yards but am extremely concerned about these issues. Will call customer service tomorrow and see about getting it sent in for a look over.

Disappointing! Didn't help the wife's confidence any as she is new to shooting. Oh it's not shooting technique she also shot the PM9 and it functioned perfectly.:confused:

jocko
02-28-2010, 12:09 PM
sounds like a defective trigger bar. call Kahr and ask for IAN and explain exactly what process u have went through. He will ask to hav ethe gun sent back. You should insist that Kahr issue a pre paid pick up, as u got anew gun and did everything according to the book. They will do that. Write a very explicit letter details everything that it is doign and the amount of rounds you have through it.

The polymer tags will dissapear with more rounds through it. The slide does not run on those polymer rails anyway. Take a fine 600+ grit paper and just smooth those tags down. I would mark that rough spot on the rails with some masking tape and draw an arrow rto that area of concern, or they will not see it when it goes back.

It is a dandy gun and a real tack driver but it sounds to me like you could have an out os spec trigger bar, . That is what normally gives light strikes. Let us know when you get it back what kahr did to it. Might help another shooter down the road

Vinikahr
02-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Bought one last weekend for the wife to shoot (purchased new). I already have a PM9 and it has worked flawlessly out of the box (Love it!). I am familiar with the break in period for Kahr's and did the 4-500 slide racks before ever going to the range with the gun. Initial loading using the slide rack lever works ok for chambering rounds. I have put 200 rounds through the gun (FMJ factory ammo) and have had probably 2 dozen failures to feed, 2 or 3 failures to eject, and most concerning a dozen failure to fires (light strikes). Weapon has been cleaned and lubed. I was concerned when I originally dismantled for cleaning to find several areas of polymer tags hanging. Also one of the steel inner rails has a rough spot along the machined rail.

When the gun functions it is a real tack driver very accurate at 5-10 yards but am extremely concerned about these issues. Will call customer service tomorrow and see about getting it sent in for a look over.

Disappointing! Didn't help the wife's confidence any as she is new to shooting. Oh it's not shooting technique she also shot the PM9 and it functioned perfectly.:confused:

Well sorry to hear you having trouble, an introduction would have been better than your first post indicating issue with the firearm, sorry not trying to be a jerk but lately I am seen too many first post as complaints rather than introduction.:banplease:
I am guilty of posting my first post and not introducing my self, but my first post was not a complain(yeah I am guilty too).

Welcome to the board and I hope thing work out,
and listen to the Oracle(Jocko) he know his stuff.

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 03:05 PM
sounds like a defective trigger bar. call Kahr and ask for IAN and explain exactly what process u have went through. He will ask to hav ethe gun sent back. You should insist that Kahr issue a pre paid pick up, as u got anew gun and did everything according to the book. They will do that. Write a very explicit letter details everything that it is doign and the amount of rounds you have through it.

The polymer tags will dissapear with more rounds through it. The slide does not run on those polymer rails anyway. Take a fine 600+ grit paper and just smooth those tags down. I would mark that rough spot on the rails with some masking tape and draw an arrow rto that area of concern, or they will not see it when it goes back.

It is a dandy gun and a real tack driver but it sounds to me like you could have an out os spec trigger bar, . That is what normally gives light strikes. Let us know when you get it back what kahr did to it. Might help another shooter down the road

I'm adventurous, but I used a razor knife to carefully trim the obvious excess material from the rails, but I did feel a little like Murphy was gonna give me a hand any moment -- kind of "uncomfortable. I also started wondering what was OBVIOUS?":o

Oh, and Jocko(the Oracle) aka "PM9 Bore". :D <snicker> Okay... maybe I'm the only one that saw a humorous connection there.:blushing: It wouldn't be the first time... or the last!:rolleyes:
Just joking. I can only wonder what you guys are thinking about calling me. Any votes for a new sub-forum "Wynn's Rambling"... just after "General Discussions"... or just outright banning me?:confused:
Wynn:p

Vinikahr
02-28-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm adventurous, but I used a razor knife to carefully trim the obvious excess material from the rails, but I did feel a little like Murphy was gonna give me a hand any moment -- kind of "uncomfortable. I also started wondering what was OBVIOUS?":o

Oh, and Jocko(the Oracle) aka "PM9 Bore". :D <snicker> Okay... maybe I'm the only one that saw a humorous connection there.:blushing: It wouldn't be the first time... or the last!:rolleyes:
Just joking. I can only wonder what you guys are thinking about calling me. Any votes for a new sub-forum "Wynn's Rambling"... just after "General Discussions"... or just outright banning me?:confused:
Wynn:p

Wynn the Mouth of the South!:eek::D
Or should I said the Fingers of the South!

bayoutrigger
02-28-2010, 06:40 PM
My wife purchased a 380 and first couple of mags at the range had a few FTF's. I helped her get a better grip on the gun and no more problems. That's one small grip, even for a lady's smaller hands.

In-Yo-Grill
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I'll be ordering the Pearce extensions for my wifes P380 this week.

wagon
02-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Have not been spending much time here lately.. and ..... wow ... we are now into Matrix?

So he is Oracle ? or is he "THE one" ? LOL

ok ok ok ... I'm one of the guilty .. my 1st post was not an "intro".. and my 1st post was a complaint, too. But none the less, I never "intro" myself in all forums .. just not my gig.

and listen to the Oracle(Jocko) he know his stuff.

Vinikahr
02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Have not been spending much time here lately.. and ..... wow ... we are now into Matrix?

So he is Oracle ? or is he "THE one" ? LOL

ok ok ok ... I'm one of the guilty .. my 1st post was not an "intro".. and my 1st post was a complaint, too. But none the less, I never "intro" myself in all forums .. just not my gig.

Yeah!
The one that know all the Kahr stuff.:D

bayoutrigger
03-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Does the Pearce extension for Kahr's fit the 380?

In-Yo-Grill
03-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Does the Pearce extension for Kahr's fit the 380?

Yep...Pearce makes some that fit the Kahr P380.

jfred
03-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Sorry my first post wasn't the positive one I should have posted about my PM9. I guess I just take it for granted that if I spend $750-$850 or so on a firearm I shouldn't have to brag because it worked right. I may be different but I expect it to. That said I do love the Kahr pistols. Everything about them from the look to the simplistic functionality make them great personal defense weapons for the CCW holder.

I spoke with customer service today and they are arranging pick up tomorrow via fedex for return to the shop. I have written a detailed letter and will take some digital picutres tonight to write in some details of where the problems are at.

I will report back how it gets resolved.

The issue had nothing to do with my wife's shooting. She shot the PM9 perfectly and I fired probably 90% of the 200 rounds through the P380. All of the last 150 rounds I fired. I hope I don't lose the PM9 to her since she shot it so well.

Vinikahr
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Sorry my first post wasn't the positive one I should have posted about my PM9. I guess I just take it for granted that if I spend $750-$850 or so on a firearm I shouldn't have to brag because it worked right. I may be different but I expect it to. That said I do love the Kahr pistols. Everything about them from the look to the simplistic functionality make them great personal defense weapons for the CCW holder.

I spoke with customer service today and they are arranging pick up tomorrow via fedex for return to the shop. I have written a detailed letter and will take some digital picutres tonight to write in some details of where the problems are at.

I will report back how it gets resolved.

The issue had nothing to do with my wife's shooting. She shot the PM9 perfectly and I fired probably 90% of the 200 rounds through the P380. All of the last 150 rounds I fired. I hope I don't lose the PM9 to her since she shot it so well.

Not to worry, we want to hear the good the bad and the ugly. But mostly the good. If you loose the PM9 to your wife then you have an excuse to buy another gun.:eek:

jocko
03-01-2010, 02:14 PM
I paid over $800 for my Para carry 9, had to send it back 3 times, never got right, sold it for a hell of a loss. Price should dictate quality and reliability but as u know it does not all the time either. damn I loved that trigger on the Para to. finest LDA trigger I have ever squeezed. I sometimes think that when companies start to take the ol reliable 1911 45's that was made to shoot hard ball ammo all these years and start to get into other calibers and micro 1911's etc, that is when issues start to happen.

Not sure John Browning knew what HP ammo was back then either. I know there are alot of 1911's lovers out there and on this forum but to me from all the reading I have done, it does seem that even the best models are sometimes problematic, when you get away from 45acp...

PUDD
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I had to send mine back for very similar reasons. It took under a week to fix. The trigger bar was bad. On the bright side, I hade night sights put on while it was at the factory.

Let us know what you find out.

jocko
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I had to send mine back for very similar reasons. It took under a week to fix. The trigger bar was bad. On the bright side, I hade night sights put on while it was at the factory.

Let us know what you find out.

of all light strikes in a kahr are due to a faulty trigger bar. They make look exactly the same but a new trigger bar seems to take care of light strikes..

jfred
03-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I hope it's as simple as replacing the trigger bar to fix the light strikes but that doesn't matter if it fails to feed. In the moment of truth a working trigger bar is no good if the gun is jammed. As I was doing the pics tonight I really think QC must have been asleep on this one. So many rough spots in the slide the internal hammer cam area (not sure if that is the right description). The barrel is dented in the end. The barrel looks like it's had 5000 rounds put through it with all the markings and discoloration. I just don't feel good about this gun at all. I hope they just replace the whole gun instead of doing peace meal repairs.

As you can see in these pics rough components, the barrel is dented and has never been dropped or out of the box prior to my purchase, serious barrel wear for 200 rounds and some hand racking for break in, polymer that appears to be chewing off the frame the more it is used, and a significant rough area along the machined slide rail, and the barrel isn't even close to centered when installed.

wagon
03-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Take a look at your PM9 and you should see similar.. IMHO, just by the pix they are in line with the "typical" Kahr .. except for the dent.

* the contact marks on the barrel looks a little excessive but you shouldn't be alarm of. They seem "excessive" may be because the surface wasn't as polished as other --- I've seen one of those PM9 barrels (in person) which was less polished than the "typical" ... yours look like one of those... does it appear more dull than your PM9 barrel?

* the barrel is "not center".. it is normal, it give room for the barrel to slide up during recoil.. take a look at your PM9, it's the same. My H&K USPc is the same, too.

I hope it's as simple as replacing the trigger bar to fix the light strikes but that doesn't matter if it fails to feed. In the moment of truth a working trigger bar is no good if the gun is jammed. As

I was doing the pics tonight I really think QC must have been asleep on this one. So many rough spots in the slide the internal hammer cam area (not sure if that is the right description). The barrel is dented in the end. The barrel looks like it's had 5000 rounds put through it with all the markings and discoloration. I just don't feel good about this gun at all. I hope they just replace the whole gun instead of doing peace meal repairs.

As you can see in these pics rough components, the barrel is dented and has never been dropped or out of the box prior to my purchase, serious barrel wear for 200 rounds and some hand racking for break in, polymer that appears to be chewing off the frame the more it is used, and a significant rough area along the machined slide rail, and the barrel isn't even close to centered when installed.

jocko
03-02-2010, 01:30 AM
the barreel is not centered when installed, that is by design, My glock is the same way. It is a locked breech type gun and the barrl has to cam downward when ejecting etc there fore the top portion of the slide has to have that gap in it. the outter barrel wear is normal. that is just a half ass finsih kahr puts on that barrel. why I don't know why as the barrel is nickel plated.

IMO the barrel needs to be replaced due to that ding. You should have looked that over better before buying it to, Not sure what kahr will do for you on that either. the slide on the inside will cause no issue and break in will smooth any rough stuff out also. You probalby ougt to contact kahr and ask for IAN and explain everything about the barrel etc and the issues, and if they offer to take it back to repair, have them issue a pre pair pick up on the gun. they will not replace the whole gun as it is registered to you as the lower section other than the trigger bar is OK and that is what is serialized. Not sur eif they will replace your slide as IMO it looks OK to me. the barrel I do think need replaced or at least counter bored. that would take that ding out of the barrle and really make for a nice barrel also, but I am not sure kahr does that type of smitty work either... I had my barrel counter bored when I had some custom work on it .
Kahr willget your running right but I think your gun needs to go back... ,

jfred
03-02-2010, 06:07 AM
The gun is being picked up today by Fedex at Kahr's expense to go back to the shop. In all honestly appearance is not the major issue with any firearm as long at it functions 100% of the time. So here's the stats...in the first 200 rounds it failed to feed 12% of the time, failed to fire (light strike) 6% of the time, and failed to extract 4% of the time. So 22% of the time the gun did not function in a manner to provide personal defense. Trigger bar replacement may be the easiest of the issues to resolve. That still doesn't solve the other 16% of the failures to cycle properly. We'll see what they come up with. In the end I just want a firearm that functions 100% of the time especially one my wife will be handling. And I agree I should have caught the dinged barrel at time of purchase....my bad. Not sure that has any functionality concerns I highly doubt it.

In-Yo-Grill
03-02-2010, 06:14 AM
The gun is being picked up today by Fedex at Kahr's expense to go back to the shop. In all honestly appearance is not the major issue with any firearm as long at it functions 100% of the time. So here's the stats...in the first 200 rounds it failed to feed 12% of the time, failed to fire (light strike) 6% of the time, and failed to extract 4% of the time. So 22% of the time the gun did not function in a manner to provide personal defense. Trigger bar replacement may be the easiest of the issues to resolve. That still doesn't solve the other 16% of the failures to cycle properly. We'll see what they come up with. In the end I just want a firearm that functions 100% of the time especially one my wife will be handling. And I agree I should have caught the dinged barrel at time of purchase....my bad. Not sure that has any functionality concerns I highly doubt it.

Just make sure you list all of your concerns both functional and cosmetic. I'm sure Ian/Kahr will do you right and work to make you happy and confident with your gun.