PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have comments on the CW40

O'Dell
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I have a CW45 with 200 rounds and one FTE in the first mag and a CW9 that has been flawless through 400+ rounds. Last month I bought a Taurus PT745 on the basis of a perfect performance of my 24/7 Pro c 45. My two trips to the range were disasters. 30+ failures to feed and 4 dropped mags out of 262 rounds. It went back to Taurus Friday.

When it gets back, I'm going to trade it, and I really like the size of the CW40. In addition to completing my set of CW's, I could carry it winter or summer, and I'm impressed with the reliability of my other CW's. However, I see few reports here on the CW40. I'm sure there are users here, so what is your opinion of the pistol?

Thanks,

Vinikahr
03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I have a CW45 with 200 rounds and one FTE in the first mag and a CW9 that has been flawless through 400+ rounds. Last month I bought a Taurus PT745 on the basis of a perfect performance of my 24/7 Pro c 45. My two trips to the range were disasters. 30+ failures to feed and 4 dropped mags out of 262 rounds. It went back to Taurus Friday.

When it gets back, I'm going to trade it, and I really like the size of the CW40. In addition to completing my set of CW's, I could carry it winter or summer, and I'm impressed with the reliability of my other CW's. However, I see few reports here on the CW40. I'm sure there are users here, so what is your opinion of the pistol?

Thanks,

The only negative about the S&W .40 was cost, but it seems to be more available and almost at part to the 9mm. It is snappy round depending the firearm. I have no experience with CW40, I most have owned either 9mm or
.45 ACP. I had once a Sigma S&W 40 and Styer M40 they both were a pleasure to shoot but gave up because .40 was not cheap at the time I had them.

johnatw
03-02-2010, 04:55 AM
My CW 40 is a year old, way over 1000 rounds fired. I would not consider owning any other pistol. It is perfect in my opinion

bayoutrigger
03-02-2010, 06:21 AM
My CW 40 is a year old, way over 1000 rounds fired. I would not consider owning any other pistol. It is perfect in my opinion

Ditto. Over 1000 rounds and I carry mine everyday as well.

getsome
03-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I love mine, 600 trouble free rounds fired...Got it Mag-na-Ported and it shoots like a dream now....much less recoil....

recoilguy
03-02-2010, 12:57 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the CW40. I do not own one but it would be on the top of my list if I were looking at a 40 cal CCW for sure.

RCG

jeep45238
03-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Had one, liked it - 1911 officer size, 1 round more, same/if not more punch, but very, very snappy in the recoil.

I now have a T40, and like it much much more, theough the CW40 wasn't bad.

Finnbear
03-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Tell me more about the Mag-na-port job. Can you post a pic of the porting? What does it cost? What is the turnaround time? I had a slug gun done by them a few years back and it was the best gun money I think I've ever spent.
Finnbear

I love mine, 600 trouble free rounds fired...Got it Mag-na-Ported and it shoots like a dream now....much less recoil....

getsome
03-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Finnbear, I'm sorry but I don't have a picture but if you will do a search for Jocko's custom PM9 you can see what a port job looks like on a Kahr slide or go to the Mag-na-Port web site and they have pictures....It really made a huge difference in my CW40 and it is much easier to shoot now....Money well spent IMO...The cost was $140.00 and the turn around was 10 days...Just need to ship them your slide and barrel...FedEx shipping was $14.00 I think but you can also mail it with the post office for less since your not shipping a complete pistol but I wanted next day delivery to speed up the process... They do beautiful work and I really think the gun should have this as a factory option...Don't even look at the ported barrel Kahr offers, its fugly and sticks out an additional inch...As for muzzle flip, I would guess its about 40% less than non ported and the muzzle flash is no different that I can tell...Try it, your gonna like the results or trade for a
cw9 or PM9 if having your pistol modified gives you worry...All are good options...

Vinikahr
03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Tell me more about the Mag-na-port job. Can you post a pic of the porting? What does it cost? What is the turnaround time? I had a slug gun done by them a few years back and it was the best gun money I think I've ever spent.
Finnbear

Here you go!
http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/859-jockos-custom-pm9.html

jocko
03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Here you go!
http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/859-jockos-custom-pm9.html

a good man, nice job. :phone:

Bawanna
03-10-2010, 01:30 PM
a good man, nice job. :phone:

+1 almost god like. Pretty pistol.:wof:

Finnbear
03-12-2010, 06:13 AM
I have a brand new CW40 that is intended to be my EDC gun. I do have some concern over recoil from such a light pistol but I need to run a few hundred rounds through it before I decide if it is tolerable or not. I think 9mm is only adequate for self defense and if I was able I would carry a full sized 1911 but my situation is not well suited to carrying something that big. Besides that, my brother says guys that carry 9mm's squat to pee :D. I hope to get to the range this weekend to begin breaking this gun in. If I do decide it barks too much I will surely send it to Mag-Na-Port. I don't mind modifying the gun to make it easier to shoot. Mag-Na-Port did a slug barrel for my deer gun a few years back and I was extremely happy with the job they did. It made the gun way more fun to shoot from the bench and I've made a bunch of one shot kills with it since then.
Finnbear

Hi Finnbear, I'm sorry but I don't have a picture but if you will do a search for Jocko's custom PM9 you can see what a port job looks like on a Kahr slide or go to the Mag-na-Port web site and they have pictures....It really made a huge difference in my CW40 and it is much easier to shoot now....Money well spent IMO...The cost was $140.00 and the turn around was 10 days...Just need to ship them your slide and barrel...FedEx shipping was $14.00 I think but you can also mail it with the post office for less since your not shipping a complete pistol but I wanted next day delivery to speed up the process... They do beautiful work and I really think the gun should have this as a factory option...Don't even look at the ported barrel Kahr offers, its fugly and sticks out an additional inch...As for muzzle flip, I would guess its about 40% less than non ported and the muzzle flash is no different that I can tell...Try it, your gonna like the results or trade for a
cw9 or PM9 if having your pistol modified gives you worry...All are good options...

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 06:27 AM
The 3rd best modification I did to my CW40 to improve handling and recoil characteristics was the apply grip tape to the flat sides of the grip. I grip the gun as tight as I can when shooting, it's as close to what I'll be doing if I pull in defense of my life, and helps to ensure reliable operation and reduces the time between my shots.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/DSCN0012.jpg

The 2nd best thing I did to my CW40 was to stiple the frame. I literally plugged in my soldering iron, waited for it to heat up, and using the C&S package photos as a template, went to town on my frame. I gave a quick sanding with 400 grit to knock down the very sharp edges, which did not reduce how well the modification worked. It kills resale value if not done by a professional shop, but I don't care about that - I care about improving the gun and making it work better for me. I am it's master, it is my b!tch. One word of note : if your skin is sensitive, or you move throughout the day, I would suggest starting to wear undershirts.

I did not push the tip into the polymer and make the pretty little circles like C&S and other companies that charge out the butt for this. It takes forever, and it is not optimal unless the circles overlap/interlace. Stipling works by having recesses big enough for your skin to fill in when you grip it tightly. The big open areas made by inserting the tip at about a 30* angle and letting it sink slightly more than allows for this.

It's a helluva lot cheaper than magnaporting, and honestly, I doubt you will be able to recoup most of the cost of porting if you sell the gun. If you only have one gun, take into account turn around times as well. I took a $75 hit due to the stippling when I sold mine, but that's a heckuva lot less of a hit than porting and attempting to sell. The modification cost me the price of the soldering iron, which was $8 a few years ago. Time investment was less than an hour. Plan things out if you do this route, and think how the gun moves in your hand when you're shooting. Stipling is far more effective if you make it perpendicular, or close to, the path that recoil takes (this is why many companies use circles, it doesn't have to worry about that aspect, plus it looks pretty). I would not recommend making lines parallel with the bore - it would work awesome if the gun's recoil went to the ground, but it goes back into your arm, and rotates upwards slightly.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Kahr%20CW40%20stippled/DSCN0201.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Kahr%20CW40%20stippled/DSCN0200.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Kahr%20CW40%20stippled/DSCN0202.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Kahr%20CW40%20stippled/DSCN0203.jpg

The best modification I did though was to sell it and use the funds to purchase a metal framed Kahr. The extra weight has done more than any/all stipling in the world has done. I may wind up sending out it's replacement for porting in a few years, but training, especially seeking professional training courses built for GUN FIGHTING, not concealed carry, will tame the recoil dramatically. Remember, if you pull your gun to defend your life, you're fighting with the gun - learn how to use it to the best of your abilities, then improve your abilities and repeat the cycle.

Finnbear
03-12-2010, 08:42 AM
What is "grip tape" and where would I purchase some? Is it suitable for use with every day tucked IWB carry in a Minotaur MTAC or a Crossbreed SuperTuck or is this just a range aid when you need to put a few hundred rounds through a light powerful pistol?

I'm not too worried about recovering the price of a porting job. If I like the gun well enough to send it off for porting I probably won't get rid of it anyway. A few hundred rounds and a month of everyday carry will tell me if I want to keep it or not and I won't send it off to Mag-Na-Port unless I really, really want to keep it.

On the subject of training, I completely agree with you. Train, train, and train some more. I am signed up for this Combat Handgun Class later this month.
D&D Firearms Instructors, LLC - Advanced Handgun Shooting Courses (http://www.ccwfiringrange.com/advanced.htm)

Finnbear

The 3rd best modification I did to my CW40 to improve handling and recoil characteristics was the apply grip tape to the flat sides of the grip. I grip the gun as tight as I can when shooting, it's as close to what I'll be doing if I pull in defense of my life, and helps to ensure reliable operation and reduces the time between my shots.

The best modification I did though was to sell it and use the funds to purchase a metal framed Kahr. The extra weight has done more than any/all stipling in the world has done. I may wind up sending out it's replacement for porting in a few years, but training, especially seeking professional training courses built for GUN FIGHTING, not concealed carry, will tame the recoil dramatically. Remember, if you pull your gun to defend your life, you're fighting with the gun - learn how to use it to the best of your abilities, then improve your abilities and repeat the cycle.

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Grip tape is what the kids put on their skateboards to stand on. It's essentially flexible sandpaper with a very sticky backing that will adhere well to clean surfaces. I buy it for $3 to get 3-4 square feet of the stuff, but I also wear it out and have to replace it a few times a month. My friends who have tried it haven't worn theirs out yet, I just shoot a lot. It has not worn any holes in any of my shirts.

I carry with a MTAC as well. I put it on my guns, and it stays on until I wear it out. Even when it wears it's an improvement over factory stuff. If the frontstrap is smooth, it goes there instantly. If it's aggresively textured like the Kahr, and the sides are smooth, it goes on the sides.

The word of warning is that most solvents will attack the glue that keeps it attached to the frame. The texture on Kahr frames allows the solvent to work it's way under the whole panel, and it'll come off when you don't expect it. I'd suggest cleaning the frame and applying oil with soaked q tips to reduce how often you replace it.

Please give us a review of the course after you've taken it. I'll be honest, I'm a little apprehensive judging by the grip technique they show in their banner, but hopefully that's not the technique they teach. You can always learn though - even if it isn't best for a given situation, it's another tool in the toolbox to be used for a different situation. Kinda like how I run a carbine vs. project appleseed - different tools for different situations with the same rifle.

Appleseed standing shooting stance (for precision slow fire shooting):
http://www.palomarpics.net/Appleseed1.jpg

How I run a carbine (very very fast follow up shots, good enough accuracy):
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/AR%20shooting%20stance/Photo22.jpg
Note: I'd highly recommend appleseed to everybody. This isn't my blog, but apparently the guy was in the Appleseed shoot I did last year.

http://hueysgunsight.blogspot.com/2009/10/im-going-to-appleseed-shoot.html
Gold star to whoever picks me out.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-IBzbM_RoeE/SsEvf0Xd2DI/AAAAAAAACSc/Y8YnbSfd2mY/s1600-h/DSCN2487.JPG

Vinikahr
03-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Jeep!

I was under the impression that you did not like plastic gun!

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Jeep!

I was under the impression that you did not like plastic gun!

Pricing was too damn good when I was working at the store to NOT try it. The only polymer gun that has made enough of an impression in my hands was the M&P series of pistols. It does not feel like I'm running a plastic gun at all, regardless the size and calibers, let alone ammo variations that I've ran through them. I'm almost ashamed to say it, but I ran the compact .40 as fast as my 5" 1911 - and I do believe I ran the 4" 9mm faster. I'm itching to try one again with a shot timer and verify what I think is going on, and if it is, I may swallow my own words and start carrying a polymer 9mm 5" M&P. I can admit when I'm wrong. I carry efficient tools, doesn't matter if I happen to like them :)

I didn't loose any money when I sold it to fund a steel Kahr at below market value ;)

I've got a metal .40 that I'm in love with, now I just need to try a K9 and a MK9 back-to-back ;)

jocko
03-12-2010, 04:21 PM
normally any mods one does to "his" gun" is wasted money down the road if ur intentions is to sell it . grip stipplying which I truly love on my PM9 and magna porting which also I truly love on my pM9 are two things that never entered my mind about selling it and coming out on it.

I will keep my PM9. It is the best defense gun I have ever carried and what ever one can do to make his defense gun better for HIM. then the money part should not come into play. I have seen butt ugly grip stipplying jobs and super nice looking ones and it would take a gun minded/defense minded person to appreciate a stippled gun or a ported gun. Try slide melting, if you want to piss away money and ever expect to recoup on that mod. It is a good mod but you have the slide melt job plus on top of that a slide refinsih job. never will see that money spent coming back either.

I had my PM9 done alot of of work by C & S, and also by accurate Iron also. More in the mod work than I paid for the gun, and I willnever get a dime for any of that work either. I knew that going into the event, but it is my defense gun, and I wanted it a certain way for me, with really no regards to as to what others think.

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
it is my defense gun, and I wanted it a certain way for me, with really no regards to as to what others think.

Bingo. The Kahr is 180* opposite of what I like in my defensive (read : fighting) guns. But it works very, very well. I thought I was going to keep it for a long, long, long time until I laid eyes on the T40.

The polymer 9mm and .40 guns are amazingly thin, and occasionally I do still think about getting a TP9.

Vinikahr
03-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Pricing was too damn good when I was working at the store to NOT try it. The only polymer gun that has made enough of an impression in my hands was the M&P series of pistols. It does not feel like I'm running a plastic gun at all, regardless the size and calibers, let alone ammo variations that I've ran through them. I'm almost ashamed to say it, but I ran the compact .40 as fast as my 5" 1911 - and I do believe I ran the 4" 9mm faster. I'm itching to try one again with a shot timer and verify what I think is going on, and if it is, I may swallow my own words and start carrying a polymer 9mm 5" M&P. I can admit when I'm wrong. I carry efficient tools, doesn't matter if I happen to like them :)

I didn't loose any money when I sold it to fund a steel Kahr at below market value ;)

I've got a metal .40 that I'm in love with, now I just need to try a K9 and a MK9 back-to-back ;)

My mind is always open, now you mention I got a M&P 9mm Full size in layaway factory new. Got for $419 plus a $50 rebate from S&W for total of $369, could not pass that deal!

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Yup, looking at a M&P9L or 5" Pro - there's a rebate for $50 cash or 2 mags ($70 value) through May 31st. If this job works out, I'm putting my 2nd check towards one.

Finnbear
03-13-2010, 10:44 AM
The fact that the CW40 is very thin and very concealable is why I bought one. 6 days a week I have to wear a shirt and tie and with a good holster I can carry the CW40 concealed. I feel much better about having a .40 than the LCP .380 that I carry when I absolutely can't carry anything larger.
Finnbear

Bingo. The Kahr is 180* opposite of what I like in my defensive (read : fighting) guns. But it works very, very well. I thought I was going to keep it for a long, long, long time until I laid eyes on the T40.

The polymer 9mm and .40 guns are amazingly thin, and occasionally I do still think about getting a TP9.