PDA

View Full Version : Defense Ammo question.

WallsofJericho941
08-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Fairly new to handguns, (about a years worth of experience) but after shooting a few XD's, a Glock, A Baby Desert Eagle, and a few others I decided on the Baby Deagle chambered in 40 s&w, (my first auto pistol) which I absolutely love by the way, best pistol I have shot. Accurate all day long with that nail driver.

My question is Have any of you shot the Buffalo Bore heavy 40 S&W loads through your Baby Eagles? Now I have Shot Hornady Tap, 155 gr and Hornady Critical Defense 165 gr (I think) through my gun and have had no issues. Accurate as hell. I know buffalo bore claims +p on their ammo, but when I emailed Tim (the owner) about the SAMMI pressure ratings he said that its right at or just under 35,000 PSI SAMMI standard....so in theory I should have no issues right?

I loved Buffalo Bore 38 special ammo when i carried that and would like to use it in my 40 s&w....you just hear so much about the unsupported or semi unsupported chamber Kabooms that I'm just curious if any one here have used it? Researching showed that yes the Baby Deagle 40 S&w has a unsupported chamber...but still not as much space as the glocks have in that caliber.

Any input would be helpful and Thanks. :)

jocko
08-01-2012, 05:09 AM
so basically their +P 40 round is just some add hype to, if it is within SAMMI standards. I doubt if ur gonna hurt that baby eagle. If there ever was a tank gun it has to be up there with the best of them.

welcome aboard, we don't hear to much from DE shooters . give us some feed back after some rounds down range..

WallsofJericho941
08-01-2012, 05:45 AM
I appreciate the warm welcome:) So far I have put about 600 rounds through this tank and just not an issue one. No fails to fire, no feeding or ejecting issues. This firearm is very well made. And yeah apparently according to the owner of Buffalo bore, most 40 s&w ammo manufacturers apparently only load to around 32,000 PSI to have that room for safety because the round is a hot round.

In the email he sent me it, he states that they designate it +p because so very few ammo manufactures load right at 35,000 PSI.....still kind of misleading on Buffalo Bore's part.

I know most firearms are usually tested over there pressure limit anyway, so I'm gonna jump in and get the Buffalo Bore. If they are only at SAMMI maximum there should really be no issue. Guess we shall see.

Yogi 117
08-01-2012, 09:01 AM
IMHO, not sure why you would want the expensive BB rounds, when you can get a very good Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST or Winchester Ranger-T series in 50 round boxes for less $$ per round. Check out Ammo To Go (as an example of online ammo sellers). I've used the BB rounds in .380 ACP & .357 Magnum...very hot rounds. I must add, I don't own a .40 S&W handgun, but if I did, I would use one of the above mentioned rounds for SD. :)

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/page/1/cName/40-sw-hollow-point

jocko
08-01-2012, 09:49 AM
40 cal is a hot ass round especially in these lightweight kahrs. BB will shoot in ur kahr until the cows come home to, fear not that a tall, but I would think that would be a beast of a round for range use for sure.

Atleast the makersof BB got backt o you with their comments. I have found this to be about the same when I had a question about corbon ammo. they always got back to me

U realize that every ammo maker makes the absolute best round to.Go with what works best 4u and never look back.

I have found on this forum if one asks aboutr ammo and rubbers, he is gonna get all kinds of feedback. Just sayn

WallsofJericho941
08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
IMHO, not sure why you would want the expensive BB rounds, when you can get a very good Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST or Winchester Ranger-T series in 50 round boxes for less $$ per round. Check out Ammo To Go (as an example of online ammo sellers). I've used the BB rounds in .380 ACP & .357 Magnum...very hot rounds. I must add, I don't own a .40 S&W handgun, but if I did, I would use one of the above mentioned rounds for SD. :)

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/page/1/cName/40-sw-hollow-point

Honestly I guess I just like and trust Buffalo Bore, i loved it for my 38 special, and it seems the fps and lbs per foot just seem so much more than some others. Although Double tap makes a 40 s&w round that is only like 25 fps slower......and yet doesn't label it +p either unlike Buffalo Bore. I understand its not true +p anyway. as its only at 35,000 PSI or just a bit under. I really liked how the Hornady shot, but I at least gotta give Buffalo Bore a chance.

My main question here was just if anyone else had tried it through a Baby Eagle. It seems like I can't really find an answer any where lol. Apparently no one any where online has done this yet lol.....guess Ill be the first and see how it goes. I do appreciate your opinion though no disrespect, I just kind of have a thing for BB loads and figured I liked them in my revolvers, was just looking for some input :)

Thanks folks for all the responses.

warbird1
08-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I know I'm a little late on this but in my manual +P is not recommended. I have the Jericho941 compact in 9mm. I don't use +P. It will probably be ok for occasional use but extended use will likely shorten your gun's life.

warbird1
08-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Great name by the way.

toast1012
08-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Im fairly new to shooting also and have purchased a Jericho 941 in 9mm. It is the best semi i have shot so far in terms of accuracy and reliability. I have shot hornady z-max and critical defense (same i think) and this thing becomes EVEN more accurate! Im talking all 16 on a 3 inch target at 35+ft and for me that is awesome! I love the fact that the only reliability issues have to do with the magazines I used in them. Occasionally the casing on a round would get stuck on the front lip of one of the mags i have and it would be a slam to the rear of the slide to fix it or just recocking it. I suggest filing down where this part of the casing touches the mag. I only get that issue every 2-3 hundred rounds tho. I would recommend this pistol to anyone on duty with a firearm for this reason. If the jews made it... and they're still around even with those "peacelovers" always suicide bombing their back door. my 2 cents lol:53:

warbird1
08-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Anything made in Israel is excellent.

WallsofJericho941
08-18-2012, 08:36 PM
I can't believe how amazing this gun is. 900+ rounds later and not a single issue. Its like there wasn't even a break in period. Finally got to run some buffalo bore through it too....and no Kaboom lol. The Chamber has no where near the gap of the glocks so no after market barrel needed. This last year I have shot many a 40 s&w and really didn't care for any of them. ( I can handle the "snap" recoil just don't care for it in the poly guns) And just not a fan of the compacts and semi compacts. I will never get rid of this gun. It shoots so beautifully, I'm glad I found my "perfect" Auto on the first go. I recommend any one who is a fan of the CZ-75 or EAA witness guns to pick on of these up They fire all day long all day strong. Dirty, clean whatever this thing is just unstoppable. Oh and no disrespect to the poly gun carriers, I just don't like them. if you do cool :)

WallsofJericho941
08-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Only crappy thing is holsters and mags are kinda hard to find. But www.midwayusa.com has your mag issue covered, and www.zahal.org has all your accessory needs covered. Also CZ-75 mags and some witness mags work in the baby Eagle, as they are pretty much the exact same mag.

WallsofJericho941
08-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Great name by the way.

Not sure if directed at me but thanks :) It might not be real unique, but I thought it did the job lol.

warbird1
09-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes it was directed at you. Glad to see someone who loves the Jericho 941 as much as I do. I lucked up at a gunshow and found a leather holster that fits it perfectly.