PDA

View Full Version : CW-40 problem

flythrower
03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I've only had this happen one time, and it has worried me every since. I absolutely love this gun, don't get me wrong. I ran about 40 rounds through it the day I bought it and then took it apart and cleaned it. About a week later, I was at a buddies house and when I shot the gun, the slide stayed back and it still had rounds in the magazine. So I dropped the slide and tried it again and it did the same thing. Finally I figured out that the slide stop spring wasn't riding up on the little ramp on the slide stop. After I moved the spring up a little bit and put the slide stop back in, it worked fine. But every time I shoot it and clean it and put it back together, I'm worried that the slide might stay back the next time I shoot it. And I don't want to shoot it again to check because I've just cleaned the gun. If you hold the frame and look down on the spring, it is bent in just a little bit, is it supposed to be like that? When I put it back together I always take a flashlight and make sure that the spring is on the ramp, but it still worries me. Is there any way to check and make sure it will work correctly, without shooting it?

tv_racin_fan
03-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Be careful whoen you put er back together and you should not have a problem. Read and re read the manual, I believe it mentions this exact point. I believe I got extremely lucky as I haven't run into the issue and I haven't paid that much attention when I took my wifes CW9 apart and put it back together (I do now tho).

Vinikahr
03-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Sorry to hear you have issues with you CW40. Kahrs stand behind their products.

Welcome to the board!

flythrower
03-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear you have issues with you CW40. Kahrs stand behind their products.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the welcome. Are you saying that I should send the gun back or what? I don't really want to do that. I'm just wondering if there's anyway that I can be sure the slide isn't going to stay back when I shoot it next.

Vinikahr
03-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Are you saying that I should send the gun back or what? I don't really want to do that. I'm just wondering if there's anyway that I can be sure the slide isn't going to stay back when I shoot it next.

The Oracle (Jocko) will answer your questions in details!
I sent one of my Kahr for a lesser issue than yours.

gb6491
03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Is there any way to check and make sure it will work correctly, without shooting it? The slide stop will have spring pressure holding it down when properly installed; with the slide closed and no magazine in place, you should be able to push the stop up a small amount and feel the spring pressure resisting that movement. The stop should move back and stay down when you release it. You could further check it by hand cycling some rounds from the magazine.
Regards,
Greg

jocko
03-04-2010, 06:11 AM
The slide stop will have spring pressure holding it down when properly installed; with the slide closed and no magazine in place, you should be able to push the stop up a small amount and feel the spring pressure resisting that movement. The stop should move back and stay down when you release it. You could further check it by hand cycling some rounds from the magazine.
Regards,
Greg

what GB6491 stated. All that spring does is want to pullthe slide stop downward. NEVE UPWARD. Ur ok, you know what you did wrong an dyou corrected it. I have over 25,800 rounds out of my PM9 and never have touced that little springy thign. Installthe slide stop correctly and you willnever hadve any issues. If u look at your slide stop there is a little tab on te inside (not the one that picks up themagazine follower) and this tab has a little cut in it. that is where that slide stop spring should lay. You should really hear a snap when you put that slide stop in place to.

What you did by tweeking that slide stop spring is also the proper thing to do. With the slide off and the slide stop inserted, now insert an empty magazine and watch what that follower is doing. It should pick up that slide stop every time andnot just half way. Some times these guns will not lock open every time on the last round and that is becuase that slide stop spring i8s under to much tension and wanting to pull the slide stop down harder than the pressure of the follower in wanting to pull the slide stop up. Just take a pair of longnose pliers and bend that little end up on the slide stop spring. The slide stop itself shold never just flopa round there either. It should always have pressure fromt he slide stop springonit, just IMO not alot of pressure.

also be darn carefult hat your thumk is not accidently hitting the slide stop lever also during shooting.

Personally I think you did a fine job of correcting and trouble shooting what you did to. Just remember that little slide stop tab always goes under that slide stop spring...

after rereaidng your post, I also think what you did was have that slide stop tab over that little spring instead of under it. That way it will lock open every shoot. Not the guns fault.... Just give that slide stop a littlle flick when you get the gun all back together. and you willsee that if properly installed that little lever will always want to be pulled DOWN.

recoilguy
03-04-2010, 07:43 AM
I have nothing new to add because it appears you have fixed the problem. The advice from the previous poster is very sound advice and his last paragraph was my initial thought.

Good luck you should enjoy the gun alot!!!

RCG

flythrower
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
what GB6491 stated. All that spring does is want to pullthe slide stop downward. NEVE UPWARD. Ur ok, you know what you did wrong an dyou corrected it. I have over 25,800 rounds out of my PM9 and never have touced that little springy thign. Installthe slide stop correctly and you willnever hadve any issues. If u look at your slide stop there is a little tab on te inside (not the one that picks up themagazine follower) and this tab has a little cut in it. that is where that slide stop spring should lay. You should really hear a snap when you put that slide stop in place to.

What you did by tweeking that slide stop spring is also the proper thing to do. With the slide off and the slide stop inserted, now insert an empty magazine and watch what that follower is doing. It should pick up that slide stop every time andnot just half way. Some times these guns will not lock open every time on the last round and that is becuase that slide stop spring i8s under to much tension and wanting to pull the slide stop down harder than the pressure of the follower in wanting to pull the slide stop up. Just take a pair of longnose pliers and bend that little end up on the slide stop spring. The slide stop itself shold never just flopa round there either. It should always have pressure fromt he slide stop springonit, just IMO not alot of pressure.

also be darn carefult hat your thumk is not accidently hitting the slide stop lever also during shooting.

Personally I think you did a fine job of correcting and trouble shooting what you did to. Just remember that little slide stop tab always goes under that slide stop spring...

after rereaidng your post, I also think what you did was have that slide stop tab over that little spring instead of under it. That way it will lock open every shoot. Not the guns fault.... Just give that slide stop a littlle flick when you get the gun all back together. and you willsee that if properly installed that little lever will always want to be pulled DOWN.

Thank you very much for the information. I can hear it click when I put the slide stop back in, but I don't think the leg of the spring is actually sitting down in the little groove on the tab on the slide stop. That little leg of the slide spring is bent in towards the frame, should I straighten it back out?

jocko
03-04-2010, 01:25 PM
yes, whatu did was bend it in when you pushed it in wrong the first time..U seem to have this thing figured out to. nice job. now go out and shoot it like you stole it..