PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss

mr surveyor
08-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm loving Trail Boss powder. Very "forgiving", clean burning, and from what I can tell it has a very low pressure (per spec) to fps ratio.....TB is obviously not my "go to hot powder", but it seems like it's a good, all-around range powder.

I haven't had the time to really load up enough rounds of what I load for (.38 spl, .357 mag, .44 mag), but what I've seen so far would lead me to believbe this stuff is worth stocking up on.

Anyone else tinkering with Trail Boss?

surv

mr surveyor
08-21-2012, 06:06 PM
hmmmmm..... the possibilities....

1. No one here has used Trail Boss powder

2. No one cares to respond

3. I have "virtual world" B.O.

:confused:

MikeyKahr
08-21-2012, 06:20 PM
#3. I wasn't going to say anything and be nice. But maybe the nice thing to do is to just say it. So yes, #3. ;) :p

mr surveyor
08-21-2012, 06:23 PM
well..... at least I know where to start over:D

Tinman507
08-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Try this
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/hoppesdouche.png

mr surveyor
08-21-2012, 06:49 PM
wow.... it's worse than I thought

I don't even want to know where to stick that

Bawanna
08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
I've been trying to stay quiet and let Wyn catch up some but now you made me feel guilty and abusive.

I honestly have never used Trail Boss or that thing that Tinman displayed so proudly. Frankly it scares me some.

To make up for my abusiveness I did in fact go look at my reloading books (honest I did) but found they are so old that they don't list it.

I have heard good about it. Where does it fall in the burn rate chart? I probably could Bing that. (screw google). if you hate me now and don't wanna talk no mo.

Tilos
08-22-2012, 08:23 AM
mr surveyor:

There's not a lot of (active) reloaders here, as you can see by the number of posts in the reloading forum.
itty-bitty guns are carried more than shot and once a factory defense round is found that is functional, most shooting is CHEAP bulk ammo.

Like B, I've looked at trail boss, and as the name implies it's for puff loads used in cowboy type competition.
"Those guys" would probably like it MORE if it was smokeyer:eek:, to add to the experience:o.
What I consider a "fill the case, seat a bullet" type powder.

Now if you want more responses to your posts, add a link to infowars:madgrin:
jmo
Tilos

wyntrout
08-22-2012, 08:30 AM
I stopped reloading a decade ago and that name sounds like some kind of snuff. I can just picture a tin in your back pocket!

Wynn:D

Bawanna
08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
mr surveyor:

There's not a lot of (active) reloaders here, as you can see by the number of posts in the reloading forum.
itty-bitty guns are carried more than shot and once a factory defense round is found that is functional, most shooting is CHEAP bulk ammo.

Like B, I've looked at trail boss, and as the name implies it's for puff loads used in cowboy type competition.
"Those guys" would probably like it MORE if it was smokeyer:eek:, to add to the experience:o.
What I consider a "fill the case, seat a bullet" type powder.

Now if you want more responses to your posts, add a link to infowars:madgrin:
jmo
Tilos

I would like a more fill the case type powder for my 45 Colts. It shoots nasty dirty with Win 231 and leaves lots of space. Maybe this stuff would be better. Now I guess I gotta research some more.

MC1911
08-22-2012, 09:21 AM
I do not use large case low pressure loads. I will try it if I do.

Tilos
08-22-2012, 10:38 AM
B
If you like bulk (in powder;)) Trail Boss is for you.

It comes in 1/2 pound containers, that look like a gallon milk jug:eek:

I'm kidding there, but it is bulky:D

dkmatthews
08-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Sorry, mr surveyor, but my only powder for handgun loads is Blue Dot. I've been using it with good success for both .40S&W and 9x19.

TonyT
09-01-2012, 06:41 PM
I use Trail Boss powder in all my powder puff loads for steel challenge shoots - 158 gr. LRN or plated in 38 Special or 357 Magnum cases. I also use it in 44 Special and 45 ACP revolver loads. A fellow shooter uses 3.5 gr. Trail Boss behind a 230 gr. LRN in his old Colt Gold Cup NM with a 10 lb. recoil spring. One can almost see the bullet going downrange.