PDA

View Full Version : Finding a T9

hoss
03-06-2010, 05:51 AM
I am new to hand guns, so after much research, I decided the gun I very much like to buy is a T9. I have called every store and checked every site on line, only to find that no one has it in stock, and my local store tells me, that he called Kahr, and they are backlogged 6 months. Anyone know what the story is, a source where I can find one?
Thanks.

unclenunzie
03-06-2010, 07:20 AM
pm sent.

jocko
03-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I am new to hand guns, so after much research, I decided the gun I very much like to buy is a T9. I have called every store and checked every site on line, only to find that no one has it in stock, and my local store tells me, that he called Kahr, and they are backlogged 6 months. Anyone know what the story is, a source where I can find one?
Thanks.

doubt the 6 month thing. #1 they are not a high demand model for some reason, so there fore most dealers will not stock um. I do think it would be the ultimate range and home gun. Not my choice for carry but again, that is just me. It just has to be kahrs best shooter though. Proabably going to hve to go into a dealer and give him a $100 and give him a week to find u one. Money talks.. They are out there, just gotta find the right source..

jeep45238
03-06-2010, 10:51 AM
It just has to be kahrs best shooter though.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the 9x19 model yet, but I do have the .40 model. It's a dream to shoot. You really won't be disapointed by the gun, and I don't believe it's too large or heavy to carry with a decent holster and belt (then again, I primarily carry a 2.5 pound 1911 day in/day out).

The ammo I make for it uses a 135 grain bullet, which is a medium/heavy 9mm bullet weight range (thought it pushes faster than an equivelant weight 9mm).

I wish I had a T9, but the dealer didn't have any at the time. When I bought mine I was working at a gun shop, our wholesale was $681. The other dealer I guess bought a few of them at cost to move inventory, and was selling for $625 after tax. I bought the only T series they had and fell in love.

The next week they had multiple T9's and T40's in stock. With a little time spent polishing the action parts, it has got to be the smoothest double action pull I've ever felt, and that's saying a lot when I'm comparing it to a Colt revolver DA that's been tuned.

ripley16
03-06-2010, 02:08 PM
There is one on Gunbroker.
KAHR ARMS T-9 4" BL KT9093-NOVAK NS HOGUE WOOD NEW : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160099730)

I enjoy my T9 a great deal. I've come to respect the TP9 as well. Either one is a easy going range gun. The TP can be found for kess money, maybe that will hold you over until the T9s are made.

Here are my fraternal twins.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/paintTP9006.jpg

hoss
03-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the good advices, I think like Jocko suggested, I will just leave a deposit and see if something arrives. As to the gun, I thought it was a good all around handgun, and I like SS and wood combo, not really planning to carry often, but if I get to enjoy hand guns as much as I enjoy skeet and trap, I may buy couple of different guns down the road, but I think T9 makes a nice jack of all trades, and I had a chance to hold a T40, and it felt like it belonged in my hands.

at_liberty
03-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Eight years ago, I liked the Tactical model so much that I settled for 9mm instead of my preferred .40. When the T40 came out, I upgraded immediately, so I have a T9 for sale with relatively few rounds through it. It is the better shooter of the two.

The .40 rocks worse than my 1911 so is a real challenge to shoot or even particularly enjoy. It is my regular carry gun. The T9 by comparison is "sweet" and fun to shoot. It is quite accurate but is not competition equipment in my estimation. This was so obvious the other night during a bowling pin match, when the DA guns were being put to shame by the 1911s. It's just a question of whether one is shooting pie plates, COM, or quarter sized bullseyes.

jeep45238
03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
at-liberty:

If you are seriously interested in selling and are willing to ship to an FFL, please send me a PM with the details.

jocko
03-07-2010, 02:40 PM
ripley. do I see the MMI rear adjustable sight on that T9. Does it come standard with that sight. I put one on my K9 and really like it..

jeep45238
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
ripley. do I see the MMI rear adjustable sight on that T9. Does it come standard with that sight. I put one on my K9 and really like it..

The 'tactical' T9 comes with 3 dot Novak low mount carry sights.

The 'target' T9 comes with the MMI rear adjustable and a front dot.

DMR
03-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I lurked on Gunbroker for a looooonnnngg time before I found mine. Bought it for $529 or so, plus transfer

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/kahrT9.gif

at_liberty
03-08-2010, 05:28 AM
I lurked on Gunbroker for a looooonnnngg time before I found mine. Bought it for $529 or so, plus transfer

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/kahrT9.gif Was that used or new at that price? That's a rather important context to include.

jeep45238
03-08-2010, 05:49 AM
I paid $600 after tax new locally for mine. This was last year.

I have a feeling that distributors are finding that the model isn't moving, and is offering an at-price discount to big shops if they buy a large quantity to move the inventory.

My wholesale cost at the shop I was working for at the time was $681, before tax and shipping.

at_liberty
03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
In looking for new guns that are actually in stock, it seems like $800-825 is more the going rate. See item # 15606 at gunforall.com. I think you will find it challenging to find any at all, as the OP indicated. One also has to be alert to getting the desired sight option, Novak night sights or target sights.

DMR
03-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Was that used or new at that price? That's a rather important context to include.

New:) I have yet to pay more then $550 for a Kahr. You just have to wait around on GB and other sites and they will come to you.

at_liberty
03-08-2010, 04:01 PM
New:) I have yet to pay more then $550 for a Kahr. You just have to wait around on GB and other sites and they will come to you.

When was the last time you bought one with the industry backordered 6 months? The T9/T40 is just not the same commodity as other more common Kahrs.

hoss
03-09-2010, 04:33 AM
The best price I have been quoted is $699 and $799 for the Novaks. Now remember I am new to hand guns, but the sights are another surprise to me. I rented a couple of Sig's at a local range P226 and 229 (I had also considering buying a 226 elite) and even though I shot very well, I feel the sights on hand guns are very vague...I wish they were more like riffles or even shot guns where you have a very small slit on the back and a very fine up front. With respect to the Kahr, I almost prefer the factory sights to the Novaks, because at least they are adjustable and I don't need night sights. Again with the Sig, the first 3-4 shots were all low and to the left, but I was able to adjust my aim to correct. I appreciate all the advise...reminds me to the Pioneer boat site or BMW E9 site where everyone gets to know each other.

jeep45238
03-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Hoss, you may want to talk to at_liberty about his T9 - my buddy doesn't want to buy it, and his price is fair.

at_liberty
03-09-2010, 05:39 AM
The best price I have been quoted is $699 and $799 for the Novaks.

Isn't the context that the gun would be special ordered and you would wait 6 months or more to get it? I think 6 months means "indefinitely".

These prices mentioned need to be in context. It isn't realistic to read anecdotes from someone who gets a discount by working at a gun store or someone who waited over a year to catch a deal on some auction site, a story that probably cannot be duplicated at this point. It seems pretty clear that no ordinary dealer will stock this model, and that older stock is pretty much gone as far as NIB specimens go. It's not a buyer's market. It looks like one will have to step up and seriously pay for this premium gun.

at_liberty
03-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Now remember I am new to hand guns, but the sights are another surprise to me. I rented a couple of Sig's at a local range P226 and 229 (I had also considering buying a 226 elite) and even though I shot very well, I feel the sights on hand guns are very vague...I wish they were more like riffles or even shot guns where you have a very small slit on the back and a very fine up front. With respect to the Kahr, I almost prefer the factory sights to the Novaks, because at least they are adjustable and I don't need night sights. Again with the Sig, the first 3-4 shots were all low and to the left, but I was able to adjust my aim to correct. I appreciate all the advise...reminds me to the Pioneer boat site or BMW E9 site where everyone gets to know each other.

Re the sights, if you intend to carry this gun, you should have some concern for needing to see your sights in darkness. At other times, the Novaks serve like white dot sights. That light color helps acquire your target and better enables shooting with both eyes open. I just put a Dawson red dot fiber optic front sight on my 1911 target gun, changing from plain black. The Novaks are adjustable for windage but not elevation. The rear sight can be nudged left or right after loosening a small set screw in the rear sight.

Shooting "low and left" is just trigger pull problems, trust me. The only leftward issue would be if like me shooting right handed and left eye dominant. I adjusted my rear sights to the right to get the resulting pattern to move to the right. That accounts for parallax rather than a faulty trigger pull.

As soon as I got my firing technique to ensuring the muzzle doesn't dip, often homing the trigger unnecessarily, yanking actually, there was no more shooting low. There is a lot to consider and get control of to get that perfect shot. It is usually not the gun.

You don't have to sight in a pistol particularly, until shooting at considerable range or going for very small bullseyes. It's not a rifle, and defensively you don't get to choose exact ranges. Some of the sight adjustment is you on the fly.

Try shooting a .22 LR pistol. You can rent one. It can be very enlightening. Suddenly you shoot like a genius by comparison. You eliminate the KABOOM and can focus on fundamentals. You can get very small patterns in tiny little bullseyes once you get your mind around it. The rest with larger caliber guns is how you anticipate and control the force of the blast. The feel of the gun is not that different. I should note that the typical .22 target pistol has a longer barrel (5"), inherently more accurate, but the 4 inch Kahr would not be a big step down.

Aside from saving ammo cost, the .22 idea is one reason why people buy .22 conversion kits, principally for 1911 .45 ACP pistols. After making the investment, you drill on fundamentals without hearing a cash register on every shot. You make more shots than you might have otherwise. Unfortunately, it's a popular idea and economy ammo is hard to find. Indoor range ammo has to be jacketed for lead control, and some is not hot enough to run the action on the autos, my Browning Buck Mark, for example. Think in terms of higher grade ammo and the associated price.

It would otherwise be a case of waiting and waiting for the cheap stuff to be back in stock, undepleted by filled backorders. That is comparable to waiting for the perfect deal on some gun you wanted. They say in real estate that it is always a good time to buy, so I would suggest not overthinking this and just buying what's available. Having paid the lowest price is not some badge of honor or testimony to your manhood. It is just an indication of good fortune. If it is your first handgun, you should not be waiting. Just do it. Others with one or more other guns to shoot can wait indefinitely for that steal of a deal to come along.

Some of this may not apply. I couldn't know. I write as a devil's advocate and to relate some of my own experiences that might prove useful.

hoss
03-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I actually did shoot a .22 my brother brought along, and yes you are right, I was far more acurate. I also shot his S&W952, again much more accurate...far less kick and I must say a wonderful gun for the range. I have also had a lot of people on this site be nice enough to suggest friends who are interested to maybe sell me theirs, but I almost never buy anything (well other than air cooled Porsche's :-) second hand, even though often it makes total sense to do so...just never feel 100% comfortable, and like the idea of a warranty. As to prices, the price I mentioned was a local dealer, and I placed an order, and while they were not expecting 6 months, they were honest in saying that they could not give me an exact date, other than to say from past experience, it typically takes a month or so which is ok with me. So I look forward to getting it, and then asking you guys how or what I have done wrong when I take it apart to clean :-) ....last set of brakes I came to replace on a car turned to a flat bed at the mechanic
thanks for all the great advice, Ps my brother buys a $1800+ S&W and their site won't give any info on dis-assembly etc, and the site for most members is a big city with little help, so I can say that I am happy to be purchasing a Kahr

at_liberty
03-11-2010, 09:52 AM
My T9 is now listed on gunbroker.com as #160640795.

Taking into account the concern about buying used, it includes 7 day approval, and negotiable test firing.

This may not be the place to sell guns. I'm just sayin', considering the discussion.

ripley16
03-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Reasonably priced. I'd bid if I didn't already have one. Here's a link to at_liberty 's auction.

Kahr T9 Tactical 9mm Novaks limited use : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160640795)

hoss
05-29-2010, 05:41 AM
I sent a email to Kahr as to why it takes so long to get a T9, and the response was that they only make the T9 once or twice a year, and that they are always back ordered for that reason, and that I need to be patient. Well, 4 months have now passed!

at_liberty
05-29-2010, 05:58 AM
I sent a email to Kahr as to why it takes so long to get a T9, and the response was that they only make the T9 once or twice a year, and that they are always back ordered for that reason, and that I need to be patient. Well, 4 months have now passed!

They're too busy making girly guns.:frown:

hedgehog
08-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Id be interested in that t9 as well, let me know about price. thanks!

mity2
09-30-2010, 02:26 AM
I read everywhere that T9's are hard to find.
I called my dealer up last week, ask them to look for one, expecting to hear that they can't find one. But instead, he found 3 right away, which one of it is now safely nesting in my gun safe..
I was originaly interested in K9 elite. But he could not find K9 Elite with night sight at all...