PDA

View Full Version : How tight is your 1911 C

gunmut
08-28-2012, 05:27 PM
My DE 1911 C is a great shooter and works with out issue the first 18-24 rounds, but then it will start to fail to return to full battery. Once or twice with each mag I have to push the slide the last 1/2 inch to get the gun back in battery. The slide to frame fit is very tight, no slop at all. I have a number of other 1911's and this DE is very very snug.

I changed out the recoil spring to a new Wolf standard power spring and it did help, before that change it would fail to lock the slide back on the last round.

Not sure if I should try a extra power recoil spring or just keep shooting until I break it in; I have about 200 rd down range.

Bawanna
08-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I never had that issue with mine, wait, you said C, I have the full size.

Are you lubing the rails pretty well? I use TW25 grease on my rails. I would not describe mine as excessively tight, it's not sloppy by any stretch.

I'd be tempted to just keep it well lubed and shoot it some more. The new spring should not have been necessary but maybe it just had a weak one to start with. Really no way to tell.

I'm expecting some recoil spring myself this week. Just in case. I've never replaced one but I know my day will come and want one on hand if need be.

Have we seen a picture of the 1911C yet? I don't recall.

gunmut
08-28-2012, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=Bawanna;182295]I never had that issue with mine, wait, you said C, I have the full size.

Are you lubing the rails pretty well? I use TW25 grease on my rails. I would not describe mine as excessively tight, it's not sloppy by any stretch.

I'd be tempted to just keep it well lubed and shoot it some more. The new spring should not have been necessary but maybe it just had a weak one to start with. Really no way to tell.

I'm expecting some recoil spring myself this week. Just in case. I've never replaced one but I know my day will come and want one on hand if need be.

I am using a grease on the rails, the product is called Super Lube.
the recoil spring did feel a little weak when I compared it some other 4" 1911s I have, the new one from Wolf does feel stronger. The C has a full length guide rod and the barrel has a rised area that fits into the barrel bushing, the barrel and bushing also have a very tight fit.
I will keep on putting rounds down range and see how things work out.
The fit and finish on this gun is top rate, very nice.
Thanks for the input.

I will send a picture, I put some VZ grips on it, I think they look good

gb6491
08-28-2012, 10:24 PM
My DE 1911 C is a great shooter and works with out issue the first 18-24 rounds, but then it will start to fail to return to full battery. Once or twice with each mag I have to push the slide the last 1/2 inch to get the gun back in battery. The slide to frame fit is very tight, no slop at all. I have a number of other 1911's and this DE is very very snug.

I changed out the recoil spring to a new Wolf standard power spring and it did help, before that change it would fail to lock the slide back on the last round.

Not sure if I should try a extra power recoil spring or just keep shooting until I break it in; I have about 200 rd down range.
Have you tried a magazine from one of these in your DE1911?
If you haven't already, you might want to pull the DE's extractor to give it and it's tunnel in the slide a good cleaning.
Regards,
Greg

JERRY
08-28-2012, 11:40 PM
do you mean DE as in Delta Elite?

jlottmc
08-29-2012, 06:58 AM
do you mean DE as in Delta Elite?

No offense, but I hate you. That is all kinds of purdy.

P.s. where in AL are you on the job?

JERRY
08-29-2012, 11:43 AM
rather not say exactly, but in near the Ga. line near I-85....

these are old pix and taken from a cell phone so you'll have to excuse the quality.....the blue carbon creation grips look so good against the stainless steel.

jlottmc
08-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Roger on the locale. Seeing those grips, they're almost as purdy as my Bawanna's. If our master grip maker hadn't made mine I'd consider something like that, looks fine. Love that pistol too.

gunmut
08-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Have you tried a magazine from one of these in your DE1911?
If you haven't already, you might want to pull the DE's extractor to give it and it's tunnel in the slide a good cleaning.
Regards,
Greg

I have used a few different mags in my 1911C, the result has been the same. I have not pulled the top end down to clean, I will do that.

muggsy
08-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I knew a fella once who added a bit of valve lapping compound to to his lube and then racked the slide a few hundred times. Smoothed things out real fine. I'm not recommending this procedure. Just sayin'.

JERRY
08-30-2012, 12:28 PM
I knew a fella once who added a bit of valve lapping compound to to his lube and then racked the slide a few hundred times. Smoothed things out real fine. I'm not recommending this procedure. Just sayin'.

lapping compound is not a bad idea at all for parts fitting, but i highly recommend it be done only after the slide and frame are completely stripped down and a thorough cleaning is done afterwords.

gunmut
08-30-2012, 08:49 PM

Something to think about. I am going to just rack the slide a few hundred times to see what the effect will be. That may be all it takes....

JFootin
08-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Something to think about. I am going to just rack the slide a few hundred times to see what the effect will be. That may be all it takes....

One box of ammo will do more than 1000 hand racks, and a few hundred will have that gun working like a Singer sewing machine. Just sayin'....

gunmut
08-31-2012, 01:09 PM
I understand that CZ has a fixture in thier factory that racks the slides on new CZ75s in a bath of oil for like 200-300 times before they leave the factory. Does anyone know if this is a standard part of the build proccess of other handguns as well?
I am a big fan of CZ, have a few.
Thanks for the input.

jeepster09
09-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Ah....CZ's

gunmut
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I have been on a motorcycle trip the last week or so. Nice pic of your Rami, I have one in 9mm. Truth is I have not shot it much, I need to get it out a little more.