PDA

View Full Version : P45 Break-in Issues

WinstonRomeo
03-08-2010, 05:21 AM
After breaking in my P9 & my P380, both of which run fine after the 200 round breakin, I used 2 sessions to break in my P45. First session of 125 rounds went fairly well with some stovepipe Failure to Feed on occasion that smoothed out. Also mags dropping after reload and slide release. Second session of 150 rounds was my worst nightmare. Failure to feed with hardball ammo, are you kidding? This is how it went: Stovepipe feeds, nose diving into the magazine, second round failure to feed, no first round pickup from mag, gun stopping short of in battery (slidestop popped out) :eek: Fortunately the dealer that I bought the gun from has a superb gunsmith. together, he and I trouble shot the problems of which there were a total of three. First: slidestop was off spek and hitting the cartrige causing nose diving, second: loaded magazine was not clearing the breach face base on loading into gun (dropping slide stop causing no round pickup and magazine ejection, third, ejector involved in the mix by being off spek as well. Had this gun been test fired at the factory it would have been rejected. Gunsmith tuning cured the issues, but the factory quality control dept. should have caught this.

Vinikahr
03-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Sorry to hear about this issues, as always Kahr will stand behind their products. My CW45 was not except to issues and was sent back in twice, when I tested it it was basically flawless. Big bullet to chamber in such small space. Perfect bullet for this type of firearms would be the 45GAP.

jeep45238
03-08-2010, 05:58 AM
45GAP.

While I agree it would be a better offering than .45ACP if Kahr is trying to mimic their 9mm models on a large scale without upping the dimensions much, it would be much wise of Kahr to simply enlarge the dimensions slightly and start over from scratch.

I loath the .45GAP - damn small primer pockets and getting mixed in with .45ACP brass :32:

Vinikahr
03-08-2010, 11:39 AM
While I agree it would be a better offering than .45ACP if Kahr is trying to mimic their 9mm models on a large scale without upping the dimensions much, it would be much wise of Kahr to simply enlarge the dimensions slightly and start over from scratch.

I loath the .45GAP - damn small primer pockets and getting mixed in with .45ACP brass :32:

That is what Keltec did and eventually had so many issues. Because they though they already had availaivility of parts. Just curios, have you shoot the 45 GAP? And what are your impression of it?

jeep45238
03-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Kinda like comparing standard off the shelf, 10mm to off the shelf .40S&W if you ask me (10mm = .45ACP, .45GAP=.40S&W). Both are pretty similar in recoil characteristics to me. I haven't had a chance to shoot any high powered snot out of .45 GAP yet. Keep in mind that very few mass production companies offer 10mm in it's original power levels.

I just hate it because it runs a small primer pocket in a .45ACP sized case head, and throws a massive wrench in things reloading. 10mm when doing .40S&W isn't bad, as 10mm runs large pistol, and .40 small. Just put the 10mm aside and keep on rollin.

Vinikahr
03-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Kinda like comparing standard off the shelf, 10mm to off the shelf .40S&W if you ask me (10mm = .45ACP, .45GAP=.40S&W). Both are pretty similar in recoil characteristics to me. I haven't had a chance to shoot any high powered snot out of .45 GAP yet. Keep in mind that very few mass production companies offer 10mm in it's original power levels.

I just hate it because it runs a small primer pocket in a .45ACP sized case head, and throws a massive wrench in things reloading. 10mm when doing .40S&W isn't bad, as 10mm runs large pistol, and .40 small. Just put the 10mm aside and keep on rollin.

Thanks for the insight.

WinstonRomeo
03-10-2010, 06:57 AM
I did email the service department and their reply only indicated that I could send the gun back if it continues to have problems. I didn't hear an "I'm so sorry that you have had these problems and I will look into why this gun left the factory." I'm a bit sour about Kahrs presently and only further test firing of the P45 will help that.

Vinikahr
03-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I did email the service department and their reply only indicated that I could send the gun back if it continues to have problems. I didn't hear an "I'm so sorry that you have had these problems and I will look into why this gun left the factory." I'm a bit sour about Kahrs presently and only further test firing of the P45 will help that.

I like Kahr guns very much (I do not love them to the point to start my own website as someone has suggested ), but since Kahr stand behind their product I would send to them until the get it right ( I did with one of my pistols). No company will give you an apology for selling you something that has problem( Did T***** admitted wrong doing for the runaway cars?, although they did give an apology), that would be admitting guilt and that can go against them.:typing:

In-Yo-Grill
03-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Well if it makes you feel any better Ian from Kahr did apologize for my troubles as I had to send back my P45 a second time to deal with FTE problems.

The more time I spend reading others posts about Kahrs, good and bad, the more I realize they are not for everybody. I have to be honest and say that when I bought my first Kahr, a P9, it was against my LGS's advice. They told me about the problems they had in the past and won't even carry that brand of gun anymore. Any yes, I read about potential issues online as well and felt I had a 25% chance of getting a problemattic gun.

I knew the risk going into buy this brand of gun. My first two Kahrs, a P9 then MK9, were good to go as soon as I got them. My third, the P45, was the finicky one. Yet their customer service was top notch and they took care of the problem. All that said to make this point...Do some Kahr's have problems, without a doubt. If you are patient and understand that their goal is to get you gun to work flawlessly then you'll understand that satisfaction is their ultimate goal.

If you are a "every gun should work perfect out of the box" kind of guy then this brand may not be for you. They have earned a life long patron and I will continue to buy/suggest the Kahr brand for many years to come.

varoadking
03-10-2010, 03:06 PM
They have earned a life long patron and I will continue to buy/suggest the Kahr brand for many years to come.

Make that 2 lifelong customers...