PDA

View Full Version : Corbon DPX

Frankhenrylee
03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Just bought a PM40 and a box of DPX. The gun is still brand new so it may be nothing, it seems to have a hard time feeding the ammo, to the point that when you hit the slide release it gets hung on the casing. Anyone else have this happen. Slide release is really stiff as well but it has not been broke in, so who knows. Any opinions?

jeep45238
03-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Corbon ammo tends to run a very, very large opening on the hollow point. This shortens the OAL of the cartridge, so that it can still fit inside of the magazine.

This does have the side effect of not always feeding reliably into some pistols.

That being said-
1) Are you loading from the magazine, and depressing the slide lock when the slide is locked back?
2) Does this also happen when the magazine is loaded one shy of it's capacity?

To be honest, this isn't exactly unheard of, regardless the firearm. Do you have any other rounds that you can cycle through it, and eliminate the gun or magazines as the issue?

MY CW40 liked OAL's of ammo 1.130-1.135 inches. 1.125 works most of the time, and under 1.120 it was a complete crap shoot for feeding in my CW40. The T40 eats all of it though.

Frankhenrylee
03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I'll know more Saturday, after I put it through its paces. Just looked to me like this particular bullet may not be a great shape for reliable feeding in the PM40. Seems to have a large opening and angular sides compared to others I've seen. I probably wouldn't have those it if I had seen it first. I did look at some of the low recoil Federal HP's 135gr. They looked like they would feed really well, much more rounded shape to the bullet. Wasn't sure how much less thump they would have. Don't want to go to low.

jeep45238
03-10-2010, 12:42 PM
To be honest, I prefer fast 135's and very slow 180's in my T40. Both have much better ballistics than 9x19 JHP's in almost every non-+p combination, make a slightly larger hole, and are easier for me to get fast follow up shots than commercial self defense 180 grain .40's.

Let's just say that Hornady loads their 180grain pretty quick, and I personally find the recoil impulse very slow for shooting. Their 155 grain I find to be a bit quicker on the follow ups, and it's loaded within 15 foot pounds of their 10mm 200 grain XTP ammo - both are nowhere near DoubleTap's offerings.

I'll take 2 or 3 slightly less powerful hits than one powerful hit in the same time frame, but that's just me :)

peterj
03-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Corbon's DPX uses a Barnes X bullet and it is just slightly longer than other manufacturers. I just compared a Corbon .40 DPX vs. Corbon 165gr. JHP. The Barnes is just a tiny bit longer, this may be why it's not feeding. I have shot DPX in my PM9 and they feed fine...don't know about the PM40 though.

jocko
03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
My opinion. just get out and shoot it 200 + rounds with fmj ammo. don't mess with the expensive defense stuff until the gun is reliable. It will do fine with corbon dpx. It is great ammo. all it needs it some rounds through it to get all surfaces matted up.

Clean the gun, lube using the kahr tech secion lube chart, rack the slide about 500 times as fast as u can, and then just go out and shoot it like u stole it. My bet it will then do what it is designed to do..

Bawanna
03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Yup, solid plan. Save the good stuff for later.:yo: