PDA

View Full Version : T9 question

got2hav1
09-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Hey guys, I have been thinking about a T9 lately. I have a CW9 now and according to the measurments it looks to be about an inch bigger. I am thinking that would put it in the mid size range. Maybe about the size of a Glock 19. How about the ergos on these guns , share your opinions and comparisons. They are hard to find so I need some opinions from current owners. I do not plan to carry it and would use it mainly for a range gun. They sure are nice to look at. :D

Convince me I need one. LOL.;)

ripley16
09-28-2012, 08:36 PM
The T9 is large enough to get a full grip. Even folks with large hands should be comfortable. The large grip and weigh make for a nice soft shooter. My only ergo complaint is that sometimes the trigger guard would rub the top of my middle finger. I can't say I shoot the T9 better than the K9 or TP9. They all seem to be very comparable... at least to me.

FLBri
09-29-2012, 05:18 AM
In my hands, which are very 'medium' sized to Med. large ... the T9 and T40 feel perfect and I shoot them the best of my handguns. I carry the lighter Kahrs, but the T's are always nearby ... to my heart and my nightstand....

You could never be dissapointed in owning one .... only that you don't have more than one!

got2hav1
09-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Just for a little more info on hand size. The middle of my pinkie falls on the bottom edge of the CW9 grip. So I would assume the T9 would be a pretty nice fit for my hand. Is the trigger length of pull and trigger weight pretty much the same? The one I am looking at has Novak sights. I am not thrilled with three dot sight systems and shoot the post and dot much better and faster. Can the sights be changed to the standard contrast sights instead? Thanks for the help.

FLBri
09-29-2012, 08:02 AM
The sights can be switched easily.
The T9 grip is a full size grip, and the wood grip gives it a little 'girth'. I think that's why it feels so good in my hand. The comparison of where your fingers fall to mine, seems similar. all 3 of my fingers rest fully on the grip easily.

If you want to PM or email me privately we can talk about the compatibility of your night sights. I have a PM9 with the Bar Dot standard sights that I would love to switch to night sights. As long as your slide is a "new style" dovetail cut, they are interchangeable. There is info on the Kahr website about "new style" slides .... but basically if this T9 was manufactured in late 2004 or sooner it probably is a new style. The only difference is the dovetail cut.

If yours is NOT new style ... you can still swap them out by buying the correct sights from Kahr. It just means you can't have mine!

ripley16
09-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Is the trigger length of pull and trigger weight pretty much the same?

Yes. Although there is some variance in weight and "feel" from model to model. the trigger is basically the same. My metal frame Kahrs seem to be a tad-bit smoother than the poly framed, but that's really subjective in nature.

My T9 came with MMC three dot target sights which are OK, but not my favorite sights. Check the Kahr parts site for available choices. I believe Mepro, Trijicon, Novac and MMC make sights for the T9.

Chuck54
09-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Trigger is very smooth on my T9 I like the standard dot and post sights.

I like it a lot but the PM9 usually gets the duty as my carry weapon.

got2hav1
09-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Yes. Although there is some variance in weight and "feel" from model to model. the trigger is basically the same. My metal frame Kahrs seem to be a tad-bit smoother than the poly framed, but that's really subjective in nature.

My T9 came with MMC three dot target sights which are OK, but not my favorite sights. Check the Kahr parts site for available choices. I believe Mepro, Trijicon, Novac and MMC make sights for the T9.

If I decide to get the T9 we can talk. I am considering several others. Thanks for the info. :)

JimBianchi
09-29-2012, 07:17 PM
After shooting one I can say my K9 fits my large hands better than a T9. it a little fatter than I thought it would be, and the wood grips don't feel as nice as my MK9 or K9.

The K9 is easily the best feeling/fitting gun I have ever shot or owned.

But I want a T9 to finish out my stainless steel Kahr collection. The T9 is one of the best looking guns I have ever seen. I want.

jocko
09-29-2012, 08:11 PM
thats strange. I would have though the t and k grips would have been identical, other than length. very interesting..

I neverliked the wood grips on my K9 so I went back to my all rubber K9 grips which are just outstanding. Why kahr got away form the rubber grip, behoves me to no end..

I would bet our master grip maker Bawanna could thin down those T9 grips for u alot.

lkgmadmax
10-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Love mine!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/07/7atebe2y.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Methos1979
10-17-2012, 09:34 PM
This is one of my favorite guns. I carry it often. It fits the bill between my full-size Sig P226 and my tiny Taurus TCP .380 pocket gun. The Kahr is single stack so it's less of a handful (literally) than the Sig.

The gun is very accurate. The trigger pull is quite long, but very smooth with a nice break. The grip size is probably about the most perfect I've ever found. The wood grips provide just enough extra width for super-comfortable grip for my medium sized hands.

The T9 is a winner in my book.

CB3
10-19-2012, 03:00 PM
I have carried the TP9 for 2 1/2 years and love it. I like the slightly lighter weight and slimmer grips for carry purposes. I have lightened and smoothed the trigger so it is a great shooter. 8+1 with Barnes PBX bullets and a backup mag with another 8 rnds gives me good confidence. It is slim and conceals well in Thunderwear, although I have done a melt job on sharp edges (especially the slide serrations) and the rear of the slide to round it off substantially. Very reliable. About a thousand rounds through it without any problems.

Previously I carried the 7+1 Kahr P40 which I liked, but it was tough to shoot as a smaller gun, and 8 rnds was only the beginning of my comfort level for firepower in the gun. Once I determined there was little difference between 9 and 40 in the real world of defensive shooting (multiple hits, good bullets), I felt 9MM would be the way to go. A little less recoil, another round of capacity, full grip, reasonable weight, longer slide & sight radius, and still carries the same as the smaller P40/9.:)

Prior to the Kahrs I carried KelTecs--first the P11 (1995), then the P40. While I worked on the triggers and got them to work well, parts would break on me too regularly, especially with the 40, which they discontinued because of such problems.

When I go to my Hi Cap for OWB, some competitions and training (where I am not allowed to use Thunderwear), I use two Beretta PX4 Storms, one in 9MM and one in 40. Love them both, but too hefty for daily carry in T'wear for me.

dkmatthews
10-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I have a T9. It is the first Kahr I ever bought and I bought just because of how beautiful it is and how sweet it fits the hand. For a while, the T9 was my primary carry piece. Now, I seem to always pick up the TP45 or the K9, instead. The TP45 always rides on my belt and the K9 is super awesome in the ankle rig. So, while I love my T9, I would probably sell it just so it doesn't get cold and lonely in the safe.

got2hav1
10-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Just bought a new T9. Woo hoo! I wanted the standard contrast sights and found a new one for sale. Can't wait to see it in person. Beautiful guns.

Carolinakid
11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
I have the very same problem with the sharp edge of the trigger guard. Irritates the top of my middle finger. Wish it was rounded.

got2hav1
11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
I have the very same problem with the sharp edge of the trigger guard. Irritates the top of my middle finger. Wish it was rounded.

I didn't notice a problem with the trigger guard. I shot 100 rounds of 124gr through it this weekend. Awesome day with it. No issues in function at all. I did have a divit in the spring pocket on the slide. Apparently the barrel tilts up and this area is supposed to be clearanced during production. Mine got out without this being done. After posting pics of the area on the forum , I found out it isn't a big deal. A few minutes with the dremel fixed it. Good to go now. :D

newpm9er
11-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Would you mind posting a pic of the gun and info for the smith that did the melt job?

Thx.

I have carried the TP9 for 2 1/2 years and love it. I like the slightly lighter weight and slimmer grips for carry purposes. I have lightened and smoothed the trigger so it is a great shooter. 8+1 with Barnes PBX bullets and a backup mag with another 8 rnds gives me good confidence. It is slim and conceals well in Thunderwear, although I have done a melt job on sharp edges (especially the slide serrations) and the rear of the slide to round it off substantially. Very reliable. About a thousand rounds through it without any problems.

Previously I carried the 7+1 Kahr P40 which I liked, but it was tough to shoot as a smaller gun, and 8 rnds was only the beginning of my comfort level for firepower in the gun. Once I determined there was little difference between 9 and 40 in the real world of defensive shooting (multiple hits, good bullets), I felt 9MM would be the way to go. A little less recoil, another round of capacity, full grip, reasonable weight, longer slide & sight radius, and still carries the same as the smaller P40/9.:)

Prior to the Kahrs I carried KelTecs--first the P11 (1995), then the P40. While I worked on the triggers and got them to work well, parts would break on me too regularly, especially with the 40, which they discontinued because of such problems.

When I go to my Hi Cap for OWB, some competitions and training (where I am not allowed to use Thunderwear), I use two Beretta PX4 Storms, one in 9MM and one in 40. Love them both, but too hefty for daily carry in T'wear for me.

CB3
11-26-2012, 10:53 AM
I will start a new thread on how I prepare my Kahrs for my personal use. I do the work myself. I have had my Dremel for 18 years and ruined nothing.

Melting is simply removal of material to round sharp edges and make the gun more "friendly". For instance, the back end of a Kahr slide prints less, hangs up on the draw less (especially from Thunderwear), wears less on clothing, etc., if it is more rounded:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/ChanBates/006.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/ChanBates/014.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/ChanBates/009.jpg

I used a belt sander on the rear of the slide with a very fine grit to change the shape, then a Dremel with progressively finer metal polishing attachments until I got the mirror finish with no scratches (1 1/2 hours).

I did the same with the slide stop (1/2 hour). BTW, because of the polishing on the slide stop lever and the mating notch in the slide, when I ram a reload into the grip, my slide stop releases, the slide closes and chambers the top round with no further manipulation. Fast.

As well, the slide serrations are sharp and uncomfortable to use when racking the gun dozens of times in a practice session. By hand I used 600 grit grey wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a small flat file to gently round the serrations' edges (1/2 hour).

With the slide removed from the gun, I close my eyes and run my hand over every surface. Anywhere I feel anything sharp, I round it gently by hand with 600 then 800 grit paper wrapped around either a small file or a sanding sponge. I usually do a quick polish of the surface with the Dremel and a cloth polishing bullet with emery compound on it to remove any tiny scratches. There are about three dozen surfaces I treat this way, including all sliding metal contact surfaces, and of course the barrel/chamber area, slide stop, etc. My TP9 slide and barrel probably have 7+ hours invested to date. The frame has an additional hour and my three mags about the same.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/ChanBates/013.jpg

I'll do the same by hand for any polymer protrusions/edges, going even more slowly and carefully as it is easy to remove too much material quickly. I find the grip checkering to be overly aggressive, so I apply a Brooks Tactical Agrip. Really like it. Available from Kahr.

When I am satisfied I am through working on the gun, after about a year and numerous sessions, I will have the slide bead blasted to get an even finish and remove all shiny spots, then I will have a local certified refinisher Ceracoat the metal with a color of my choosing.

jocko
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
nice work, am I seeing an illusion but did u also contour the rear sight??

Nice work. My PM98 is melted but not as noticeable as what u did..