PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911

mrcrzy
10-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I've a .38 Super Colt 1911 but, not the .45 ;-( although I do know this for a gun manufactured in 1954 it shoots and handles flawlessly. Not knowing it's full history I've cleaned it top to bottom inside out taken it to the range and put about 100 more rounds thru it to what seems to have done it no harm! :9: don't think the bubble will pop tho!:)

CJB
10-07-2012, 04:32 PM
That is probably a collectable piece you've got there!

You can - with some amount of parts changing, fit a 45 top on .38 receiver.

The 45 slide stop, ejector and while top end are different. Additionally, you'll need to massage the ramp on the 45 barrel a little, as the 45 frames and 38 frames are cut just a wee bit differently. But its doable.

I once built up a 45ACP, 10mm, 9mm, 38super and .22 all on one receiver for the owner of the gunshop I was employed at. They all functioned flawlessly, although the 10mm used a Wilson heavy comp to make up for the added slide velocity. And, that 10mm was the slide I myself converted from a .38 Super slide, before Colt had their Delta Elite on the market (with thanks to Irv Stone letting me have one of the barrels he made up for Colt's own internal testing!!!!)