PDA

View Full Version : New Meprolight Night Sights (*Pics Included*)

TheSorb
03-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I just got new Meprolight night sights installed on my MK9. I really like the way they look on the gun, and they're extremely easy to see in the dark.

I haven't been to the range yet, but I'll get there soon. Here are some pics for your perusal::roll:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2688/4427578228_9e9c08b874_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2704/4426808737_e17852881b_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4426813351_1fed87986f_b.jpg

jvberryjr
03-12-2010, 11:07 AM
pics?

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Beautiful pistol. MK9 is definately on the short list of guns I want to have badly. It will have to wait till after I get my M&P9mm Pro model though :D

hsart
03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I have always liked the look of the MK9 but always thought I would get a PM9 since it is a lot lighter. With a long wait for the PM9 DLC I ...wondering if anyone has both and how they compare as shooters. Probably should start a new thread for this...

Currently have a PM45 for EDC.

Vinikahr
03-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Sweet!
Congrats!

jkalantzis
03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I am extremely jealous! Congrats. Question, did you have to send the slide off to Kahr to have them installed? Every dealer that I've talked to says that Kahr's are the only gun they can not install N/S on. Is this true?

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
I am extremely jealous! Congrats. Question, did you have to send the slide off to Kahr to have them installed? Every dealer that I've talked to says that Kahr's are the only gun they can not install N/S on. Is this true?

No, it's not true. If you're foolish enough to try to use a pusher to remove a sight that was likely installed by a hydraulic press, then you shouldn't be touching my guns. Some Kahrs are very, very tight. Some can be tapped out with a punch and hammer.

If yours is very tight (as in, taps with a hammer and drift aren't budging it at all), these instructions will be of use to you. I have not measured to see if the front dovetail is tapered, so if it is, push the sight from smallest to largest :

Take a dremel and cut through the factory front sight post. Get a hand held metal hack saw and continue the cut, going almost down to the slide. Spray penetrating oil on the front sight and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Get a nylon drift, or a brass one covered in non-marring material like electrical tape, and give one side a good tap with the hammer. It will break the sight in half, and the factory sight comes out easily.

To install the new sight, get a smooth cut hand file, and give just a couple passes on the bottom of the sight, and try to push it in by hand. Continue to do this, and check often. You want to be able to install the front sight by hand about 1/3 of the way. After this, tap it home, and take your time to measure and make sure the post itself is centered. Measuring on the end of the sight will not pass the muster if you want to do a precision job.

The rear sights should tap out very easily compared to the front.

Remember, don't rush anything. It will show horribly in the end product.

TheSorb
03-12-2010, 05:09 PM

I've heard that too. But my local gunsmith didn't hesitate to take on the task, and he did it all for $100 (sights & installation)! He's a great guy and he does fine work. I'm very pleased...;)

hollander
03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Very nice. I think I will be doing the same thing for mine in the near future. By the way HSART, I have both the PM and the MK9. While I love both, shooting the MK9 is a lot of fun while the PM9 is a little more work (I have 68 year old wrists but excellent hand strength). Both serve their purpose but I reallllllllly enjoy the MK9 and it goes where I go in cooler weather. PM appears during shorts and/or warmer weather.